Page 1 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2005, 5:05 pm

Yes yes I know I can't spell but anyway I wondered what you guys thought about this. Its pretty obvious when you look at the human mouth that we were given sharp front teeth to tear up meat and while this isn't talked about in the bible that could just be because it was unheard of. Just wondering what you guys think.

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2005, 5:15 pm

It's not a sin. I can point that out in the Bible later. Daniel was a vegiterian for a while during the Babylonian captivity.

sparkplugloy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Sep 2005, 5:30 pm

Actually, some scientists gave lines of evidence for the opposite thesis : that we have teeth similar to the dinosaurs that are herbivores.
Other scientists support your hypothesis, though.

hecate
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2005, 5:44 pm

i can't handle this anymore! earlier someone posted an article claiming that left-handers can't go to heaven and now someone is suggesting that vegetarianism is a sin! i'm damned for all eternity! it's not fair!

the reason why i don't eat meat is because i love and respect animals. if i lived in a small community with no import / export trade (as our ancestors did) i would have to eat meat to survive. but living in the time and location that i live in i have the choice to obtain nutrition without taking the life of an innocent creature.

fionaban
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Sep 2005, 5:45 pm

sceinceist can never decide on wot they think lol

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only son so that whoever believes in him will not die but have everlasting life." John 3:16

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2005, 5:56 pm

Hey dont worry Hecate Im bi...

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

PeterMacKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2005, 5:57 pm

Of course it's a sin! Vedic scripture says so! (Or rather, it's not so much a sin as just something which has negative karmic consequences and impeeds the quest for absolute truth, since the judeo-christian-muslim concept of sin doesn't translate well into hinduism, at least according to my limited understanding of the religion.)

On a more christian note, things seem to be very anthropocentric, where man is given dominion over all other living things (including woman), and there aren't really any prohibitions against doing as you wish to animals. It would be rather odd if a religion that originated from a shepardic society deemed the consumption of meat to be a sin. In the native environment of the religion, strict followers would have a very hard time surviving and the religion would likely be modified or replaced with a better adapted one with time.

My personal take on it is that sin as a concept is pretty meaningless to me. I'm an atheist, have my own moral code and don't worry about devine retribution if I break either it or the code of <insert religion>.

fionaban
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Sep 2005, 5:57 pm

wot r u saying Endersdragon?

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only son so that whoever believes in him will not die but have everlasting life." John 3:16

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2005, 8:28 pm

Sean wrote:
It's not a sin. I can point that out in the Bible later. Daniel was a vegiterian for a while during the Babylonian captivity.

I was thinking of the same thing. In one story, he (or someone else) was in an army and commanded by a king to eat nothing but meat and drink nothing but wine for x number of days. The guy sent down with the order was persuaded by Daniel (I think) to let him eat nothing but vegetables and drink nothing but water for same x number of days. Later on, the king noticed that Daniel was healthier and in better shape than the rest of the army and had everyone switch to Daniel's diet... I'm not saying it supports vegetarianism, but simply states that meat is not needed for survival. I for one, am a meat lover. I don't care what it is, I'll probably eat it's meat. If you've ever been to the IRC chatroom, you probably know I see nothing wrong with Cannibalism.

That's all,
Sarcastic_Name a.k.a. People_Are_Meat

animallover
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2005, 9:19 pm

Also, if you look at Genesis you will notice the the world was originally vegan and it is only after the fall that humans are allowed to eat meat . . .

To me, it is a matter of alternatives - if there were no alternatives I do not think that vegetarianism would be an issue at all - if we were still living in rural societies or something - but as it is we do have alternatives and that makes it a moral issue . . .

animallover
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2005, 9:20 pm

Oh - and I belong to a group that suggeste that veganism, while not mandated by the Bible is not a bad way to live in terms of Christianity . . .

www.christianveg.com

irishmic
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Sep 2005, 9:21 pm

Vegetarianism is blessed

Meat Eaters will be seared in hell :twisted:
Even deamons have to eat something.

spacemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2005, 9:22 pm

PeterMacKenzie wrote:
something which has negative karmic consequences and impeeds the quest for absolute truth, since the judeo-christian-muslim concept of sin doesn't translate well into hinduism, at least according to my limited understanding of the religion.)

This is precisely how I would translate the concept of sin into hinduism or buddhism. I think it would be helpful to christians if they would take the time to compare these ideas with their own.

The problem with the christian concept of sin is the way is is often presented in absolutes (as it either is or isn't.)
A vegeterian diet makes for a more peaceful and workable mind, thus making the search for truth more fruitful. This does not mean that anyone who eats meat will go to hell. Fasting has a similar and possibly even a stronger effect. This of course does not mean that eating is a sin.

The question "is vegeterianism a sin" just sounds backward to me.

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2005, 10:31 pm

It is absolutely a sin, and wrong, and horrible, and terrible, and God's true plan for all of us is to be on Atkins! !! !

Please note that the preceeding comment was not a comment on Atkins but an attempt to express exaggerated contempt for the idea of vegetarianism being a sin, though the author of this post is opposed to Atkins not on moral grounds but because she thinks it's just a bad idea- however she doesn't care enough about it to argue it here at this juncture, if you want to be on Atkins and are aware of the risks, go right ahead, I won't actually stop you, I will just hope that it doesn't result in your death, unless I strongly dislike you, in which case I would hope it would result in your death and additionally urge you to go on Atkins.

Tim_p
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2005, 11:00 pm

:) Nice 'legal notice' Serissa.

I think the main question of the thread is somewhat silly. Who has ever said that vegetarianism is a bad thing?

PeterMacKenzie wrote:
My personal take on it is that sin as a concept is pretty meaningless to me. I'm an atheist, have my own moral code and don't worry about devine retribution if I break either it or the code of <insert religion>.

As an atheist, from what do you derive your moral code? Societal custom? Your Parents?

GalileoAce
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2005, 1:05 am

If you need a religion to tell you how to be a decent human being there's something seriously wrong...

By all rights I should be a vegetarian. I love animals, and I personally can not stand to hurt any creature (unless defending myself), but I eat meat (I eat everything)... No offense to anyone, but I find the whole "I don't eat because I love animals" excuse to be utter crap (again no offense intended), one could extend it to assume you hate plants...

And who cares if it's a sin? So what if you don't get into heaven, go somewhere else. Just because religion tells us there's heaven and hell doesn't mean there isn't anything else :wink:

GA