Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Jeyradan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Jan 2008, 8:27 pm

I'm not telling my family. They'd ridicule me and tell me I made it up.

But I want the label. I am glad to have it.
Without the label I am "that person who says the inappropriate things" and "that person we really don't want to socialize with in case she does something weird." With the label I "have a hard time getting it, but I am learning," and I am not a jerk - I am a work in progress.

subcutis
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Feb 2008, 5:43 am

*concealed advertisement link deleted by lau*
No one minds here

preludeman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2008, 8:50 pm

I understand and am with you. I am also sorry your girlfriend got angry.

I wish the best for you.

abram
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Feb 2008, 1:20 pm

of course

i've never told my parents, of course they know there's something odd about me but i'm good at hiding these things and so they take this as a good-natured eccentricity

i got good at hiding it ever since i noticed my mother got worried when i could sit from morning to evening in the same spot and stare at the walls. so i pretended i was doing soemthing else, like reading.

my friends don't know but i don't think it's at all important to tell anyone because they are so much wierder than i am :D
they wouldn't mind at all tho.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

04 Feb 2008, 4:16 pm

i dont like telling others either because some of the first couple of words out of there mouths is oh he has assburgers. wich inturn makes me self coinsious about being dirty and it agravates my underlying ocd :lol:

Caravaggio
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Feb 2008, 8:58 am

I pass as an NT 99% of the time and only pull the AS label when I know I absolutely need it for something, which has been never. I told my best friend but she is the type to not care but I'm sure it explained anything she thought was odd about me. Told her sister and mom who I'm really good friends with and are like having a second mom and sister.

No-one else though, not really about trust it's more about who I feel like telling although I would take a bullet for any of the three mentioned.

orangered
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Feb 2008, 11:23 am

I simply tell people I am poor at social skills. That explains most of my behavior and they still consider me normal.

No need to get to medical words, I do not want people to worry whether it is contagious.

bear7699

08 Feb 2008, 11:08 pm

i don't tell anybody i have autism, because it doesn't matter

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2008, 11:35 pm

I was diagnosed a year and a half ago and certainly, my experience has told me it's better not to tell I have such a thing as AS.

MeganVegantoast

09 Feb 2008, 2:25 am

I usually tell people a week or two into a friendship or acquaintance, mostly because I stim a lot, I'm really hyper, and I can't pay attention for very long.

But I also want to prove that ASD's aren't always rainmen or have low IQ's and are nonverbal.

I kinda want to use myself to give a more positive look on ASD's.

Legato
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2008, 2:05 pm

MeganVegantoast wrote:
I usually tell people a week or two into a friendship or acquaintance, mostly because I stim a lot, I'm really hyper, and I can't pay attention for very long.

But I also want to prove that ASD's aren't always rainmen or have low IQ's and are nonverbal.

I kinda want to use myself to give a more positive look on ASD's.

Again Megan, I completely agree with your post. I do the same thing. Also, the dude with the house avatar....umm....Jeyradan I think... I feel the same way about my family too. Acutally, I tried telling my mom and sister(majoring in psychology), and they were completely like yeah whatever people with autism can't communicate and all this crap, which generally applies only to low functioning autists...