Page 4 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2010, 12:44 pm

AngelRho wrote:
There are at least two good reasons from the Bible to support worshipping on the 1st day. #1 is that creation of the world began on the 1st day of the week. The 7th day is the day of rest, not the 1st. #2 is that Jesus was resurrected on the 1st day, not the 7th day. So for Christians, the 1st day of the week is more significant as a day of worship rather than the 7th because on the 1st day, just like the creation of the world, the work of God's creation of salvation becomes complete. For believers, it's not a bad way to start the week!

The issue is that in Europe and most Asia, monday is the first day of the week and sunday the seventh.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2010, 5:18 pm

greenblue wrote:
Quote:
So what is "work"? The Rabbis argue about this. Turning on a light switch? Lighting a cigarette?

I believe the jews pretty much don't smoke, so they would not light a cigarrette in any day.

There's nothing against smoking in Judaism. That's Islam in which smoking and drinking are outlawed. Mormonism too I suppose, but not in Judaism as far as I know, and certainly not based upon the Tanakh, although it's possible some rabbi may have said something against it at sometime or another.