Page 1 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

matrix
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2008, 12:04 pm

I have been working at Cracker Barrel for a year now, and it will be hard to say how many Sundays I have worked. I hardly resisted work to go to church except on special occasion. However, as many people say that working that day is a sin, those same people keep filling the demand for the 50 or so claimed Christians that work on that day. I find that the concept of the Sabbath to apply to consumers as well. When this is established, stores will acknowledge their loss and close, or at least schedule less employees. That and many other contradictions may be discussed as well.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Jan 2008, 1:02 pm

What IS the current teaching/position about preparing food on a sunday? Should people stop eating for the day too so that noone is obliged to "work" at getting food ready?

A weekly one-day fast might not be a bad idea actually!! A day of rest for the digestive system. :D

8)

monty
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2008, 2:27 pm

It's really a matter of interpretation and personal belief. Christians don't really celebrate the Sabbath - they celebrate the day after the Sabbath. And different groups have different beliefs on this.

matrix
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2008, 4:54 pm

Well in the 1960s (according to my uber-conservative dad) people were beginning to realize that they can open on Sundays. This caused controversy, but people were lulled conditionally to accept the idea (e.g. earlier hours, fewer employees, etc.). Though people were working in the house for cooking, housekeeping and the like, paid labor was a dubious area on that day.

matrix
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2008, 4:55 pm

ouinon wrote:
What IS the current teaching/position about preparing food on a sunday? Should people stop eating for the day too so that noone is obliged to "work" at getting food ready?

A weekly one-day fast might not be a bad idea actually!! A day of rest for the digestive system. :D

8)

As long as Grandma quits making birthday cakes and fried chicken, I doubt I'd do that.

mikebw
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2008, 5:15 pm

Quote:
I find that the concept of the Sabbath to apply to consumers as well. When this is established, stores will acknowledge their loss and close, or at least schedule less employees. That and many other contradictions may be discussed as well.

The Sabbath is the last day of the week, in recognition to God's resting on the last day. God commanded the Jews to keep the Sabbath, that it may remain holy or some such silliness. The last day of the week is NOT Sunday(which is the first day of the week), it is Saturday. Very, very, very few Christians actually observe the Sabbath. Not working on Sunday is not an observance of the Sabbath day.

Some catholic pope or something changed Gods holy day from Saturday to Sunday(Without His permission), because Christians really continue the pagan ways, and Sunday is in recognition of the Sun, hence it's name. You've most likely failed to observe the Sabbath properly your whole life, no point to worrying about it now.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2008, 8:21 pm

Yeah, its blowing away dogma and as well a serious pain in the arse to the church - like Saturday masses :lol: :roll:.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2008, 8:42 pm

I find the Saturday sabath case quite credible. I came to faith in middle age so not really having been an observer, I'm not sure I see it as essential. Salvation is by faith alone in my opinion, so...rituals, observances, fasts uh, I think god states that he gets weary of all those things in Isaiah.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2008, 9:38 pm

So you're saying the first thing God created was Sunday morning? Where did God get hold of a Babylonian calendar?

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2008, 10:07 pm

Postperson wrote:
I find the Saturday sabath case quite credible. I came to faith in middle age so not really having been an observer, I'm not sure I see it as essential. Salvation is by faith alone in my opinion, so...rituals, observances, fasts uh, I think god states that he gets weary of all those things in Isaiah.

Yeah, I think its just what certain people need to feel self-assured. If someone doesn't observe it, what of it.

Helek_Aphel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jan 2008, 6:39 pm

Colossians 2:16

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2008, 6:54 pm

A delicious sin.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2008, 7:24 pm

Phagocyte wrote:
A delicious sin.

Depends. Bob Evan's or IHOP - definitely.

mikebw
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2008, 1:35 pm

Helek_Aphel wrote:

The Truth About Colossians 2:16

Matthew 5: 17-20
"17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill. 18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. 19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven."

The Sabbath Debate

Makes a good argument. I'm not a strict adherer though. I'd prefer to go along with the Noahide laws, which are for all peoples if I were to believe in God, and leave the other commandments for the Israelites/Jews:

1. Prohibition of Idolatry: There is only one God. You shall not make for yourself an idol.
2. Prohibition of Murder: You shall not murder.
3. Prohibition of Theft: You shall not steal.
4. Prohibition of Sexual Promiscuity: You shall not commit adultery.
5. Prohibition of Blasphemy: Revere God and do not blaspheme.
6. Prohibition of Cruelty to Animals: Do not eat flesh taken from an animal while it is still alive.
7. Requirement to have just Laws: You shall set up an effective judiciary to fairly judge observance of the preceding six laws.

Quote:
So you're saying the first thing God created was Sunday morning? Where did God get hold of a Babylonian calendar?

No. I'll concede that to you.

Helek_Aphel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jan 2008, 3:25 pm

mikebw wrote:
Helek_Aphel wrote:

The Truth About Colossians 2:16

Matthew 5: 17-20
"17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill. 18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. 19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven."

Thanks for supplimenting my answer.

SusyQ
Raven
Raven

28 Jan 2008, 11:07 pm

No, it's not a sin. Nowhere in the New Testament is it forbidden-in fact, Christ explicitly said that if someone needed help etc, it was okay to work on Sunday.There are some people, such as medical personnel etc that HAVE to work on Sunday. In times past, there were Christian slaves who had no choice but to work on Sundays. Today we have those who have to work on Sunday to support their families...as Christ commands.
BTW, I used to attend a church that believed that if someone worked on Sunday, they had something between them and God. When I questioned the belief, they gave several examples of how people had been blessed by not working on Sunday, including a man whose child had a badly bleeding cut that need professional care. He didn't want to call the doctor because it was Sunday so he prayed and the bleeding stopped. 8O I didn't think to ask what that father would have done if his wife had gone into labor on a Sunday-would he have denied his wife the professsional assistance she needed for something that was obviously God's will?