Helek_Aphel wrote:
Yai!
I'm withdrawing.

:cry:

Quote:
I still believe what I believed before

Good.

Quote:
I can't seem to make my statements clear enough.

Hmmm :?

Quote:
It was fun though! Thanks!

I sincerely agree. Thankyou.

matrix
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2008, 9:34 pm

Sorry for my distance of this topic. I actually forgot to care. My spiritual longing is not torpedoed because of the Sunday shift anyway. It was a fun topic and I'm glad you all put much thought into this.

And that's my final thought. Have a great one.
JERRY! JERRY! JERRY!
To order transcripts call:
1-800-SPRINGER

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2008, 1:41 pm

One might regard Sunday (or any Sabbath day) as God's gift to mankind -- rather than a day to punish yourself by staying in bed all day, or by going to worship services when you would rather not -- just having a day to rest and enjoy yourself as you please. And, what better way to rest and enjoy yourself than by going to the Country Buffet and stuffing yourself with roast beef and turkey?

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

08 Feb 2008, 5:59 pm

mikebw wrote:
Very, very, very few Christians actually observe the Sabbath.
Some catholic pope changed Gods holy day from Saturday to Sunday (Without His permission), because Christians really continue the pagan ways, and Sunday is in recognition of the Sun, hence it's name.
yep. i'd go one step further brah and tell you that as soon as someone tells you they know anything about who/what/where god is..
its not true

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2008, 11:18 pm

Nothing is holy unless some person considers it to be so.

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2010, 6:39 pm

Is Sunday brunch a sin?

---

Possible answers:

If the brunch food tastes good, it is a virtue; if the brunch food does not, it is a sin.

- Scenario 1

---

Technically, the earth should stop moving on the Lord's Day to acknowledge the presence of the Invisible Almighty. If that kind of sign was given, stores would all be closed on Sunday.

- Scenario 2

---

Blue Law

A blue law is a type of law, typically found in the United States, designed to enforce religious standards, particularly the observance of Sunday as a day of worship or rest, and a restriction on Sunday shopping. Most have been repealed, have been declared unconstitutional, or are simply unenforced, although prohibitions on the sale of alcoholic beverages, and occasionally almost all commerce, on Sundays are still enforced in many areas. Blue laws often prohibit an activity only during certain hours and there are usually exceptions to the prohibition of commerce, like grocery and drug stores. In some places blue laws may be enforced due to religious principles, but others are retained as a matter of tradition or out of convenience.[1]
Laws of this type are also found in non-Christian cultures such as Israel, where the day concerned is Saturday rather than Sunday, and most countries with Muslim majority, where the month of Ramadan is involved.[2]
In the United States in particular, almost everything is closed on Easter Sunday, Thanksgiving, and Christmas Day. Banks, post offices, schools, government offices, most businesses (other than retail and restaurants) remain closed on all public holidays.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_law

- Scenario 3

---

Not eating Sunday brunch/having a tailgate party on Superbowl Sunday is a sin for sure.

- Scenario 4

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl

---

Other

- Scenario 5

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2010, 7:12 pm

First of all, Sabbath (Shabat) is a Jewish thing. It was never commanded for Gentiles.

Second of all the Sabbath starts at sundown Friday and ends sundown Saturday. So Sunday is not particularly special with regard to honor the Day of Rest. Sunday is not that day.

So Sunday Brunch is surely no sin.

ruveyn

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2010, 7:23 pm

matrix wrote:
I have been working at Cracker Barrel for a year now, and it will be hard to say how many Sundays I have worked. I hardly resisted work to go to church except on special occasion. However, as many people say that working that day is a sin, those same people keep filling the demand for the 50 or so claimed Christians that work on that day. I find that the concept of the Sabbath to apply to consumers as well. When this is established, stores will acknowledge their loss and close, or at least schedule less employees. That and many other contradictions may be discussed as well.

The actual Shabbat is on Saturday anyhow. Besides, Jesus said the Sabbath was made for man and not man for the Sabbath. Jobs will not accept people who aren't "flexible", especially service jobs which revolve around the transit times and days off of people who are fortunate enough to have careers. God is not going to blame somebody for doing what is necessitated of them. If they want to take a stand and lose their job, it might be "honorable before God", but if they have a family to take care of then such would not be the case but rather they need to keep the job rather than make a display of themselves as "unreliable" or "inflexible" to their managers - especially in this economic situation where they most likely would be fired and replaced in a day or less.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2010, 10:54 pm

ruveyn wrote:
First of all, Sabbath (Shabat) is a Jewish thing. It was never commanded for Gentiles.

It is believed that the early christians, from the first century, still observed the sabbath, and that they gradually shifted towards sunday to distance themsleves from jews.

Quote:
Second of all the Sabbath starts at sundown Friday and ends sundown Saturday. So Sunday is not particularly special with regard to honor the Day of Rest. Sunday is not that day.

While Sunday was the lord's day and Saturday the day of rest, it seemed that the observance of the sabbath was gradually shifted towards the lord's day, even though Sunday seems to be regarded as the lord's day, it has been, in practice, although different from the jewish sabbath, a day of rest, I mean, people rest in sundays.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2010, 11:10 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
The actual Shabbat is on Saturday anyhow. Besides, Jesus said the Sabbath was made for man and not man for the Sabbath. Jobs will not accept people who aren't "flexible", especially service jobs which revolve around the transit times and days off of people who are fortunate enough to have careers. God is not going to blame somebody for doing what is necessitated of them. If they want to take a stand and lose their job, it might be "honorable before God", but if they have a family to take care of then such would not be the case but rather they need to keep the job rather than make a display of themselves as "unreliable" or "inflexible" to their managers - especially in this economic situation where they most likely would be fired and replaced in a day or less.

According to seventh-day adventists, getting fired isn't an excuse for transgressing the sabbath, but doesn't forbid you to help the need, if you are a doctor, for example, you can treat patients, although you would not charge for the service on that day, well, at least that was an opinion I heard (don't ask me if adventist doctors actually do that), nevertheless, working, doing business in saturday is considered a transgresion, a sin, even if it is for fear for getting fired, this parallels, according to them, to the roman persecution towards christians, in which a christian could deny God to avoid death and torture, and God wouldn't accept this, the same principle with violating the observence of the Sabbath.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2010, 11:17 pm

greenblue wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

It is believed that the early christians, from the first century, still observed the sabbath, and that they gradually shifted towards sunday to distance themsleves from jews.

Quote:

While Sunday was the lord's day and Saturday the day of rest, it seemed that the observance of the sabbath was gradually shifted towards the lord's day, even though Sunday seems to be regarded as the lord's day, it has been, in practice, although different from the jewish sabbath, a day of rest, I mean, people rest in sundays.

Actually, the "Lord's Day", occurring in the book of Revelation, is more properly written out as "the Day of the Lord" which is an apocalyptic reference - it refers to the end times and not to a day of the week.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2010, 7:15 am

The Sabbath is fulfilled. Church attendance on Sunday is no longer a sin for non-compliance.

HOWEVER, many Christians only get the opportunity to spend time with other believers on Sunday, so having to always work on Sundays hampers your spiritual growth. That can pose a personal and perhaps legal issue.

Celoneth
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2010, 7:47 am

And the Lord said, "Thou shalt partaketh of thy brunch and verily shalt thou be sent to thine place of eternal torment for it is displeasing to the Lord. Unless thou orders the blessed booze mixed with orange or a similar sort of juice, then it shall be pleasing to the Lord and all thine enemies shall be smitten but do not eateth the brunch before the hour of noon for it is an abomination similar to wearing mixed linens and the Lord shall be merciful in torturing you for all eternity."

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2010, 9:57 am

Resting on the Sabbath is a good idea but what is "work"?

Millions of Jews have argued this for thousands of years.

No doubt it was easier when everyone was a merchant or a sheep herder but what about in our modern world?

What if all the doctors, nurses and cooks at a hospital stayed home on the Sabbath?
What if the policemen, firemen, and the men at the electricity generating plant took the day off?

So what is "work"? The Rabbis argue about this. Turning on a light switch? Lighting a cigarette?
How about flushing the toilet?

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2010, 10:43 am

zer0netgain wrote:
The Sabbath is fulfilled. Church attendance on Sunday is no longer a sin for non-compliance.

HOWEVER, many Christians only get the opportunity to spend time with other believers on Sunday, so having to always work on Sundays hampers your spiritual growth. That can pose a personal and perhaps legal issue.

Agreed.

Also, I think it would be cool to still observe the Sabbath. That it is in the 10 Commandments to do so underlines the importance of it.

BUT...

The Sabbath is the Sabbath--the 7th day, not the 1st day. I see "Sunday brunch" as part of a day of work as much as any other work day. I happen to be employed by a church as a staff musician, so going to church IS going to work. For me, it requires a little more preparation than a typical day. Kids normally get breakfast at their daycare, but we typically have a little breakfast early on Sunday even if it's nothing more than oatmeal and toast. I will probably spend an hour studying the Bible (which I do most days, anyway, I just do this sooner than later on Sunday morning), actually SHAVE, and I'll get to church between 9 and 9:30. I have a chance to play over the music for the worship service, rehearse with the other musicians, soundcheck with soloists, etc. We're usually done by 10:15 or 10:30, so I have a short break before I go to the choir room for a run-through of any special choir anthems we might use. I'll start playing, usually just free improvised music, while the choir comes out through the associate pastor's announcements, segue to the first song, and I don't really stop playing until the sermon. About 11:55, whenever I get a good opening at the end of the sermon, I'll start improvising again, segue to the last two songs of the service.

It's a physical and mental drain because of the constant concentration, attention to detail. I've done this long enough that I tend to take a lot of what goes on in a worship service for granted, but when I finally get home, it all catches up with me. I change out of my church clothes, lie down for a minute, and I'm in a coma before lunch!

When I wake up, I look over any music I need to prepare for handbell duo, and then we're off to the church for a 2-hour practice during evening activities. Our church does a "connection" group every Sunday night. The problem we've found is that it's not friendly for young couples, especially young parents, so we never felt very "connected." On the other hand, what we ARE doing in place of it will ultimately be a valuable service to the music ministry and MAYBE expand to more than just a handbell duo to a full handbell choir kind of thing--something that will be active in worship other than just holidays. Playing handbell duets is also a great way to work up a sweat and lose some weight!

It's a lot of WORK, so I challenge anyone to honestly say that it is a sin to work on Sunday. It's the first day of the week! You bet there's work to do.

So, no, I have no problem with working on Sunday as long as it doesn't interfere with worship.

As to whether doctors/hospital staff who work on Sunday and do not worship sin: You know, one "work" that Jesus did was heal the diseased, the demon-possessed, and even those who'd been disabled from birth--and working on the Sabbath was not a problem. Even the Pharisees did not object to "work" on the sabbath in emergency situations. So hospitals are certainly allowed because they are in the business of doing God's work--caring for the sick and injured.

There are at least two good reasons from the Bible to support worshipping on the 1st day. #1 is that creation of the world began on the 1st day of the week. The 7th day is the day of rest, not the 1st. #2 is that Jesus was resurrected on the 1st day, not the 7th day. So for Christians, the 1st day of the week is more significant as a day of worship rather than the 7th because on the 1st day, just like the creation of the world, the work of God's creation of salvation becomes complete. For believers, it's not a bad way to start the week!

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2010, 12:34 pm

Wombat wrote:
Resting on the Sabbath is a good idea but what is "work"?

Millions of Jews have argued this for thousands of years.

No doubt it was easier when everyone was a merchant or a sheep herder but what about in our modern world?

What if all the doctors, nurses and cooks at a hospital stayed home on the Sabbath?
What if the policemen, firemen, and the men at the electricity generating plant took the day off?

I don't know what is currently the views from the jews and christian sabbatians about the Sabbath, but as I pointed out earlier, an adventist opinion I heard was that a doctor or any other similar job, they could work on the sabbath, but they would not charge their patients.

Quote:
So what is "work"? The Rabbis argue about this. Turning on a light switch? Lighting a cigarette?

I believe the jews pretty much don't smoke, so they would not light a cigarrette in any day.

Quote:
How about flushing the toilet?

Wait until the next day to poop ;)