Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Tom
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2005, 10:03 am

I just got this e mail, what should I do? I don't know what it means, I dont remember setting anything like this up.

this is the mail -

Dear napoleonthepig:

Your bank has approved your Direct Debit Instruction to eBay
International AG. You will not have to worry about initiating your monthly
payments on your account. eBay will automatically deduct your monthly
invoice amount from your bank account 7 to 10 days after receipt of your
invoice. This payment method takes effect immediately.

Here is the Direct Debit Guarantee for your information:

The Direct Debit Guarantee

* This Guarantee is offered by all Banks and Building Societies that
take part in the Direct Debit Scheme.
* The efficiency and security of the Scheme is monitored and protected
by your own Bank or Building Society.
* If the amounts to be paid or the payment dates change JPMC Re: eBay
will notify you 10 working days in advance of your account being debited
or as otherwise agreed.
* If an error is made by JPMC Re: eBay or your Bank or Building
Society, you are guaranteed full and immediate refund from your branch of the
amount paid.
* You can cancel a Direct Debit at any time by writing to your Bank or
Building Society.
* If you choose to cancel your Direct Debit arrangement, please also
send a copy of your letter to us.

Thank You!

eBay International AG

spacemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2005, 11:00 am

Tom, I would have suspected this was a scam, but they didn't ask you for any account number or anything. Still you should be very cautious about any emails like this.

If you log into your account on myebay, there is a tab marked seller account on the left. Click that, and it should show you how you are set up for payments. Mine gives me the option to turn on "autopay" but I prefer to recieve an invoice and pay myself.

Hope that helps.

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2005, 11:10 am

I agree that it sounds odd but they don't ask for bank data.

You could call customer service at e-bay and ask them or post this question in the 419eater.com "Other scam" forums. If it is a scam, someone there will know how to handle it.

BeeBee

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2005, 2:27 pm

My current roomate is currently being preyed upon by a scammer.

He got an email that said he was to inherit 14 million dollars from a deceased half uncle who was working for shell oil in nigeria and killed in an accident.

I read the email and in order for him to get that money, he would have to pay a 5% processing charge on the inheritence tax he was to pay on it which was like $40,000.

That fee of course would be refunded to him as a deduction out of the attourney fee's for handling the money.

However, they wanted his bank account information so they could do the transactions via direct deposit to avoid paper work. They also wanted his SS# so they could verify who he was.

He contacted his parents attourney who called back right away and said "DON'T DO IT!!"

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2005, 2:32 pm

That old one with the 5% processing fee. Sometimes its a government official that needs help relocating the money from South Afica but mostly it comes from Nigeria. It doesnt say a lot for the brainpower of the victims that the scammers are hitting out with the same tricks for years but some still fall for it. Naivete and greed are a bad mix.

Tom
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2005, 3:46 am

ok, did I say that the mail came from Ebay.

Tom
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2005, 4:01 am

Sorry but I'm not really interested in African scams, Is there anyone here who uses ebay and knows whether this should happen?

spacemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2005, 9:59 am

spacemonkey wrote:
Tom,
If you log into your account on myebay, there is a tab marked seller account on the left. Click that, and it should show you how you are set up for payments. Mine gives me the option to turn on "autopay" but I prefer to recieve an invoice and pay myself.

Hope that helps.

magic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2005, 12:37 pm

Scoots5012 wrote:
He got an email that said he was to inherit 14 million dollars from a deceased half uncle who was working for shell oil in nigeria and killed in an accident.[...]

It always bewilders me why scammers send these Nigerian emails. Can they really find people who reply to them? At least they could substitute Nigeria with some other country (which would certainly raise their "credibility"), and lower the fees they request (what sense there is in requesting $40K from a college student?). I got such an email once, and had a good laugh before deleting it.

Tom, regarding your ebay email, it is straightforward to forge the sender's address. I suggest that you examine the "Received" headers that contain the path that the email traveled, as they are usually much more reliable in exposing email's true source. (They can also be forged, but scammers often do not care about them.) I would also suggest calling ebay (using phone number from their website, not from the email), asking to talk to the fraud department, and discussing the matter with them. I don't have experience with ebay, but I think this would be a wise precaution in such a situation.

Tom
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2005, 3:12 pm

thanks spacemonkey and magic. I think its only actually going to take a fee if i buy something.

spacemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2005, 3:21 pm

Tom, I think those fees are only if you sell something actually.
If you buy, then you pay through paypal, or some other arrangement with the seller.