Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

TheMidnightJudge
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2008, 7:02 pm

I was having trouble learning the saxophone. Turns out the whole time I was holding down this extra key which stopped me from being able to play it right at all. Stupid mistake.

Last edited by TheMidnightJudge on 25 Jan 2008, 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shayne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jan 2008, 7:25 pm

are you attempting to learn to play solo or do you have some kind of class or instuctor?

riverotter
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2008, 7:38 pm

This might sound silly but...you are using fingering charts, right?
I taught myself to play the flute that way.
Stupid asthma though- maybe I'll try picking it up again.
Which saxophone are you playing?

TheMidnightJudge
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2008, 9:17 pm

Alto sax. I don't use fingering charts often because the fingerings are usually the same as flute. I had one person show me teach me stuff with the sax for about 1/2 an hour, and that's how I learned that I was holding down the wrong key.
I'm kinda going solo but I'll probably end up learning more from the person who helped me before.

Another thing about fingering charts...It might look something like...
O O O l O O O
That's D, I'm pretty sure. But it didn't do anything to point out what I was doing wrong. You see, where the left most key is, there are two buttons, one lower, one higher. I was pressing the higher one, when I needed to be pressing the lower one.

So my brother is using the sax right now(I'm borrowing it from him), but I can do the Bb scale and some simple songs in that scale.

riverotter
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2008, 9:44 pm

It is pretty easy to get into a bad habit when one is self-taught (e.g., my bass playing). I always liked the Hal Leonard band charts for flute though. They are easy to read and I imagine their sax charts would be as well. Oh now I really have to get the thing out and try again.