What is your view on Asperger? Give your opinion!

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

In my opinion, Asperger is
a mental illness that needs treatment 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
a mental illness that needs treatment 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
a disorder that needs understanding 12%  12%  [ 16 ]
a disorder that needs understanding 12%  12%  [ 16 ]
a gentic flaw that needs to be cured 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
a gentic flaw that needs to be cured 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
an expression of neurodiversity that needs acceptance 30%  30%  [ 40 ]
an expression of neurodiversity that needs acceptance 30%  30%  [ 40 ]
a different culture that should be cherished 7%  7%  [ 9 ]
a different culture that should be cherished 7%  7%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 132

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2005, 1:48 pm

I think overall it is a disorder that doesn't need a cure but can better itself to function in the environment via learning. That is the reality of it. The environment won't change to suit us, so in order to succeed we must learn a little compromise.

I think, person to person, it needs to be treated as neurodiversity. But really the idea of "disorder" as something negative and signifying incompitence needs to be gotten rid of.

I find great interest in other people with "disorders" of all kinds and find them no better or lesser than I. Instead of worrying about a label and hence arguing that Aspergers isn't a disorder which can cause difficulties for the person who has it, that a difference be acknowledged but that it isn't ever rated as "better" or "worse".

I find it odd to put such a high negative rating on the word "disorder". I find no shame in saying to people I have disorders, one of which is Aspergers. And you know, a good amount of the time, with my own admission, the other person is more at ease and has often told me they have a disorder or disorders, too.

Perhaps I have been around disordered people and books about disorders my whole life that I don't find them any less of human beings than anyone else, just different. Look at me: I'm as different as can be! But everyone's different. I find abnormality perfectly normal and even inordinately fascinating.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

SpaceCase
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2005, 10:07 pm

I agreed w/ the last 2 on the poll thing...

:D SpaceCase :D

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2005, 11:13 am

If the world won't adjust to us, we have to adjust to it.

That's my view. It applies to any minority. I personally think it's neurodiversity, everyone has a disorder whether they admit it or not. Narcissism is a disorder, but a commonly accepted one because of how many peole have it. Until there's a popular mainstream band, TV show, song (etc.) all about AS, knowledge and/or acceptance won't be mainstream. Even if people know about AS,there's not much that the world can really do; a lot of problems we have is with the way people socialize, that can never be changed. So we're just different, and there's not much we can do about it. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Malcolm_Scipo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2005, 1:18 pm

I wonder who said it was a genetic flaw needing curing? *Cough, cough, Teelaclarke, cough.*

I WAS NOT WHAT I HAD ALWAYS TRIED TO EMULATE.
INSTEAD A SHADOW OF FORMER GLORY.
AND THEN I CRIED.

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2005, 3:53 pm

I said it was an expression of neurodiversity as it gives us many unique skills and differences that in many ways can be positive or negative. In many ways I look at a lot of things as just a 'temperament' or 'disposition' that I have.

Tally
Toucan
Toucan

01 Aug 2005, 3:56 pm

I don't think it's an allness. I think it's more a personality-type, or a condition. I don't feel that it should be cured, but most of us do need some support in adapting to the world we are living in. Just like someone from a foreign culture would find it hard to adapt to a new place.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2005, 8:04 pm

One thing I worry about when people start talking about the need to adapt, is how many of us will be judged as unwilling to adapt any further, when it can be unable to adapt any further.

And, that said, if people take as given that the world will not adapt to someone who can bend a lot further than I can, then what happens to people like me? Do people just give up and say "Oh well, the world didn't adapt to that kind of person, can't expect it to..." or what? And then what happens to us?

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2005, 8:18 pm

I feel like a person on the planet Path (from the Enders Game series) we should be ruling the world but we have just enough problems that we never will. Kinda sucks dont it.

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

danlo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2005, 4:53 am

Have you turned your obsessions into a religion then, have you, Ender? :)