Autism has environmental causes. I support a cure. 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Autism has environmental causes. I oppose a cure. 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 36

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2008, 4:57 pm

Reodor_Felgen wrote:
The last time i checked my temperature it was 36.6 degrees celcius (sorry, but I hate the US units. Live with it, or better yet, convert to the metric system :P ). The thermometer was a bit f-ed up, though... so I think my temperature is 37 degrees.

I don't know celcius. Why doesn't everyone else convert to the US system?

Likho
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jan 2008, 5:10 pm

converting it yourself is pretty hard you know? there are variopus online calculators, but they often dont work for me. plus im afraid to post the results, it always feels like theyre wrong. fahrenheit looks extremely illogical to me. (well US is tsupid in general XD so sure they use stupid units lol)

and for the temperature, i often have 35-36*C. if i do have the famous 36,6* it's often beggining of a fever. XD

ok, just checked:
35*C = 95*F
36*C = 97*F
37*C = 99*F

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2008, 5:17 pm

I'm sure that my mum wants a cure for me, so that I can be more like my uber Nt sister.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2008, 6:14 pm

Reodor_Felgen wrote:
I support a cure for severe autism, but I do not support a cure for HFA or AS. I know it's genetic, since a lot of people with AS also have relatives with AS (I have a paternal grandmother with AS).

One can learn adequate social skills even if you're an aspie. But it will take time.

why support cure for 'strong' autism but not for 'weak' autism when there are people of both groups who want,and don't want a cure?
am have asked this so often on here,but why does having strong autism make people automatically assume auties want cures,yet those classed as being high functioning AD or AS have 'too weak' autism to need cure?
Am do not want a cure having never known any different way of life and thinking but would like to weaken and remove some traits,however,other lf/mf auties do want full cures,others don't-there isn't one answer,but there is one common thing shared-the belief from others that auties automatically want cures.
HFAs/aspie autists shouldn't be automatically judged as all having 'weak' autism either-ie,weak enough to not want cures.
Am have met various lf HFAs/aspies through an ld institution,the attached respite centre,and the last residential home am used to live in,these are the places where social stuff is the least of the problems.

This is the problem with seeing all classic autists and all hf ADers/aspies as the same on the cure debate,someone with weaker autism cannot speak for someone with stronger autism,and the same back.

Original topic.
am believe it is likely to be mainly genetic based,but also possibility of other causes to.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2008, 6:25 pm

KingdomOfRats wrote:
Reodor_Felgen wrote:
I support a cure for severe autism, but I do not support a cure for HFA or AS. I know it's genetic, since a lot of people with AS also have relatives with AS (I have a paternal grandmother with AS).

One can learn adequate social skills even if you're an aspie. But it will take time.

why support cure for 'strong' autism but not for 'weak' autism when there are people of both groups who want,and don't want a cure?
am have asked this so often on here,but why does having strong autism make people automatically assume auties want cures,yet those classed as being high functioning AD or AS have 'too weak' autism to need cure?
Am do not want a cure having never known any different way of life and thinking but would like to weaken and remove some traits,however,other lf/mf auties do want full cures,others don't-there isn't one answer,but there is one common thing shared-the belief from others that auties automatically want cures.
HFAs/aspie autists shouldn't be automatically judged as all having 'weak' autism either-ie,weak enough to not want cures.
Am have met various lf HFAs/aspies through an ld institution,the attached respite centre,and the last residential home am used to live in,these are the places where social stuff is the least of the problems.

This is the problem with seeing all classic autists and all hf ADers/aspies as the same on the cure debate,someone with weaker autism cannot speak for someone with stronger autism,and the same back.

Original topic.
am believe it is likely to be mainly genetic based,but also possibility of other causes to.

I agree with you that some considered lower functioning don't want cures and some higher functioning with AS want cures. I think most people prefer to be high functioning. Some aspies who don't want a cure would want one if they were less functioning so they assume LFA want a cure. I can understand why you don't want a cure. I think everyone should be able to decide for themselves when a cure becomes available.

Alexey
Raven
Raven

26 Jan 2008, 6:25 pm

I suppose, that autism is caused mostly by genetical reasons. But idea of curing severe autism (or at least converting it into high functioning of Asperger type) is very attractive and I support it. HFA and AS is not an illness but they are resembling extremal variant of human character and may be often adapted to NT society by special training in socialization (even learning in usual school makes you to develop your social abilites - I had such experience).

OregonBecky
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2008, 7:59 pm

I agree with all four choices. I don't care which view people have as long as they don't waste their parenting time, perseverating over treatments and ignore the real needs of their kids.

Berserker
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2008, 8:01 pm

NO, NOT MORE CURE CRAP! *dies*

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2008, 9:05 pm

the 98.6F bit started over a century ago by some German scientists, who wanted a hard and fast rule for what should be a 'standard' temperature. People's temperatures varying daily, so that didn't work so well..

I don't know what causes it, and cure or not, I don't see why I shouldn't have at least an option...

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2008, 1:59 am

OregonBecky wrote:
I agree with all four choices. I don't care which view people have as long as they don't waste their parenting time, perseverating over treatments and ignore the real needs of their kids.

I posted to see whether a belief in what causes autism is correlated with what they think of curing it. I don't see how anyone could believe the 4th option. If it's environmental, then obviously autism isn't a part of who you were meant to be, so why oppose a cure or treatment for environmental causes?

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2008, 2:14 am

pakled wrote:
the 98.6F bit started over a century ago by some German scientists, who wanted a hard and fast rule for what should be a 'standard' temperature. People's temperatures varying daily, so that didn't work so well..

I don't know what causes it, and cure or not, I don't see why I shouldn't have at least an option...

Most people don't know, but they actually found the average was 37C which is NOT equal to 98.6F
37.00C = 98.6F. 37C is NOT = 37.00C. The number of significant digits is important. Their thermometers couldn't calculate decimal places. Because it wasn't precise, the average could have been anywhere between 36.5C - 37.49C so to convert to Fahrenheit it would be somewhere between 97.7F - 99.5F or 98.6F +/- 0.9F
A later study with more precise thermometers calculated the average to be 98.2F

Regarding my poll, I was asking about what you thought cause you to be autistic if you had to guess and wanted to see whether that influenced how you felt about a cure.

TLPG
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2008, 5:44 am

zendell wrote:
Reodor_Felgen wrote:
The last time i checked my temperature it was 36.6 degrees celcius (sorry, but I hate the US units. Live with it, or better yet, convert to the metric system :P ). The thermometer was a bit f-ed up, though... so I think my temperature is 37 degrees.

Because the US system is dated and out of touch. We dumped Farenheit in the early 1970's. I think it's about time the US caught up - and same applies for other forms of metric measurement, such as distance and weight.

My opinion.

RedTape0651
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Jan 2008, 10:29 am

I'm afraid I'll have to abstain from this poll. My answer to your question is not one of the choices.

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2008, 11:33 am

TLPG wrote:
zendell wrote:
Reodor_Felgen wrote:

Because the US system is dated and out of touch. We dumped Farenheit in the early 1970's. I think it's about time the US caught up - and same applies for other forms of metric measurement, such as distance and weight.

My opinion.

The metric system is superior and easier to use, and even in the U.S. the metric system is used entirely in the scientific measurements, as base 10 is much more practical. However, in regards to temperatures I think that using Kelvins is better than both the Celcius and Farenheit scale. I think we should definitely dump the U.S. system. At least from a science major's perspective.

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 Jan 2008, 2:09 pm

oblio wrote:
zghost wrote:
Here's an idea I don't think anyone's covered yet:
What if autism is related to your natural body temperature?
My "normal" is about 97 degrees (farenheight), my NT sister's normal is about 99 degrees.

I've seen some posts about us being more normal when having a fever... maybe I'm on to something here?

Maybe somebody should do a poll.

i was sure glad to see you measure in Fahrenheit

Doesn't work for my house. Son is diagnosed AS and normal temp is 99.9 F. I'm usually around 97. I'm not diagnosed, but definitely AS. I'm usually the temperature of the room. I'm the lizard in the family. Not comfortable unless temps are higher than my body temp.

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2008, 9:24 pm

I only support a cure for the most severe form, like non-verbal autism and Heller's syndrome