Alternating between wanting friends and not wanting friends?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2008, 6:02 pm

This happens to me a lot. One moment, I would like a friend or two, the next, I would prefer to not have any.

It doesn't even have to do with depression or anything like that, it's just not wanting any, like I want to be alone, and I'm fine with that. It's not something I can expect an NT to understand. "How can you not want any friends?" or "what do you mean you don't want a social life?" are the two most common responses I get.

Anyone else feel this way at times? How long do the solitary spells last?

Adrie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jan 2008, 6:57 pm

I relate to what you're saying, but the thing is, I have friends and so now I can't say, "I don't want friends anymore," because I care about them and wouldn't abandon them. I need to be alone sometimes, and not to worry about others for a while, but I always come back around to my friends in the end.

That being said, I don't feel the need to make new friends very often. Only if I'm in a new place and I'm very lonely for a week or two... And I do know what you're saying about swinging back and forth between wanting friends and then realizing you like to be alone anyway, so who needs them?

I have solitary spells that last up to a week, maybe. On the other hand, I can only have really "social" spells (where I go out and see people most of the day) for one or two days at a time. I spend the vast majority of my time alone, and I prefer it that way.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2008, 8:48 pm

I totally relate to what you are saying. I did go through a brief period of a few years of constant socializing. But I realized after several of those people were mean to me that I really didn't need them and didn't care whether or not I had friends. I prefer acquaintances. But those that demand time from me on a weekly basis tend to turn me off to the point I don't even think I could tolerate a serious relationship again. My therapists think its a shame I don't have more friends, but I really don't care for the most part about being around others. I am even content spending the holidays at home too cooking the foods that I like with only the tv, computer and the cat for company. Its much nicer than being emotionally abused every direction I turn.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2008, 5:51 pm

Ticker wrote:
My therapists think its a shame I don't have more friends, but I really don't care for the most part about being around others.

A very NT thing to think. The so called empathy they say they have fails them sometimes, and what they really do is project everything on everybody.

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2008, 8:32 pm

I like them, but I don't need them.

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2008, 8:47 pm

SilverProteus wrote:
This happens to me a lot. One moment, I would like a friend or two, the next, I would prefer to not have any.

It doesn't even have to do with depression or anything like that, it's just not wanting any, like I want to be alone, and I'm fine with that. It's not something I can expect an NT to understand. "How can you not want any friends?" or "what do you mean you don't want a social life?" are the two most common responses I get.

For me it is increasingly becoming a question of how long the social spells last. Generally at this point complete isolative contentment usually only endures for a week or two, with interglacial periods of mixed desire/avoidance. I actually find that depression is almost completely coincident with times when I want to socialize, while moments of complete detachment tend to be characterized by a gentle serenity. One of the problems with wanting friends is I know in a week or so I will want nothing to do with them, and my impression of people is that they get pretty offended if you ignore them completely except for sporadic episodes. :?

quirky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Jan 2008, 1:07 pm

twoshots wrote:
SilverProteus wrote:

For me it is increasingly becoming a question of how long the social spells last. Generally at this point complete isolative contentment usually only endures for a week or two, with interglacial periods of mixed desire/avoidance. I actually find that depression is almost completely coincident with times when I want to socialize, while moments of complete detachment tend to be characterized by a gentle serenity. One of the problems with wanting friends is I know in a week or so I will want nothing to do with them, and my impression of people is that they get pretty offended if you ignore them completely except for sporadic episodes. :?

I agree with most of this. I enjoy having friends my own age to rant about schoolwork or parents or that type of stuff with. But in general, I don't feel I need friends. I like having someone to share my day with - if I'm at school, i share it with my roommate or other friends. But at home, Im fine with just talking to my mom. I lke small children and adults, but I find myself quickly bored when hanging out with friends on a non one-on-one basis. It's fun to chat or watch a show or go to dinner, but then I'm just done. I just don't find it that stimulating, and can't relate to much of the conversation. For me, I feel much more fulfilled when doing other things. I get depressed when I feel like I should have friends, but I don't really pursue more because I know I won't follow it up. I love having acquaintances - someone to chat with in class or work, or online, but I never do well with maintaining really close friends unless we're one-on-one. When I don't care about maintaining friendships, I am much happier. I keep trying to explain that I just don't NEED it. I'd work really hard to be more socially comfortable if I truly desired lots of friends and a party life - but since I have no desire, why is it worth it?

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2008, 1:43 pm

Syd wrote:
I like them, but I don't need them.

Who are you kidding, tough guy?

One of these days you'll wake up..