Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

brfandan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Jan 2008, 10:06 pm

has anyone had the urge to or actually done this? I think it would be easier for me to be myself if i had to build a whole new life. i know i came so close a bunch of times, to the point of actually packing a bag, but i couldn't bring myself to walk out the door abandon my family. there have been times where i was just so unhappy with what my life was that i wanted to start another one by picking up and moving to new york city, which is just an hour's train ride away from my hometown. but i guess i'm too rational to do it (maybe too much of a puss) or maybe things just haven't gotten bad enough. I've gotten to the brink dozens of times, but i find that if i just slept on it, i would feel better the next morning and see that things really aren't so bad.

but once i am done with college, living in NYC or someplace on my own will become a reality, no matter what the circumstances. i would really like to start a new life on my own soon, maybe then can i start to gain a true sense of who i am.

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2008, 2:05 am

Yes, when the time comes and I have the experience and certifications I am looking for, I'm packing my bags and taking off. I know my father prefers having me home but my career has to be based on what's in my best interests in the field of being a professional accountant and being able to join an alumni chapter of the professional business fraternity I was in(there isn't any in Rhode Island which is one of the reasons why I want to get out of here).

Starting a new life in a new town is something I have dreamed of doing for a long time.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

27 Jan 2008, 6:18 am

I have ran away from home once...but only for two days when I was 14.

I had an arguement with my mother about something that I can't even remember now. I got angry and at night, snuck out of home. She called the police and they tried to find me the next day. They ended up searching my room and finding my journals...which I had written things in there about wanting to take my own life.
Anyway, after two days the police found me. This little "episode" is what first lead me to the mental health system :roll:.

I'm never doing that again.

chocolate_kitties
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Jan 2008, 1:07 pm

There were a few times in my life when I was so depressed and annoyed at my parents that I was seriously considering running away from home. But I was simply too scared to do it. Besides, I didn't even know where to go and was afraid of what my parents would do to me if I actually ran away.

Hedgehog
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jan 2008, 11:45 pm

I used to live in a really isolated place, and really wanted to live so I tried to run away. The only reason I wasn't able to get to the city was that the road near us had flooded, and so I wasn't able to cross it and went home. If I could have crossed it I would have kept on going though. When I got home my mum hadn't noticed I had been gone and asked me to go do something, so I went and did something else.
I've thought about it a lot growing up, and I'm suprised that I haven't ended up halfway across the country, or on the other side of the world for that matter. I find that if I get stuck in some sort of pattern of bad or depressing things happening then I'm more likely to think about it, just like I would be more likely to think about suicide.

matrix
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2008, 11:31 pm

chocolate_kitties wrote:
There were a few times in my life when I was so depressed and annoyed at my parents that I was seriously considering running away from home. But I was simply too scared to do it. Besides, I didn't even know where to go and was afraid of what my parents would do to me if I actually ran away.

Yea, and there is cops everywhere with nothing to do in my town.

Parent philosophy:
Can't live with them;
Can't live without them.

harvester52
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jan 2008, 11:45 pm

I ran away once.

I was 14 years old, and I was going through the mourning process of the sound system at my elementary school. I had gotten a computer in my bedroom, and I was finally able to chat with my friends in my room without anybody looking over my shoulder. I spent hours there because it seemed that the internet was the only place where people respected me, and in online roleplay, I could escape the depression I was going through.

My mom found out I was staying up really late to be online, and we got in a big fight about it. I ran away, and almost spent the night in front of my elementary school (see the "Crushed Soul" thread for the significance of this). I got really cold, and couldn't sleep, so I walked down the block to the corner market that was there, and called my mom to come pick me up. We stayed up almost all night, talking about the things that were bothering me, and what we could possibly do to try to make them better.

-BC

aaandreaaa
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Jan 2008, 5:28 pm

I "ran" away from home when I was 15. Now I'm 17, and I'm still living alone. I visit my family some weekends though, and it really helped for me to get some space. I was so fed up with my brother getting all the attention (he has asperger, I don't), so I just got an apartment and told my mom I would be moving next week. She tried to keep me from leaving, but she couldn't exactly lock me in my room. I feel like moving away was the best thing I could do. I would probably still be an spoiled selfish brat who hated my little brother if I didn't. We have a very good relationship now :)

beentheredonethat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 9:33 pm

Go if you must, but New York City is EXPENSIVE, unfriendly, and sometimes dangerous.
We live in Jersey. I lived in a very nice part of the city a long time ago, but I priced it a few weeks ago. No way. I'm told the East Village is "cheap." and so is flushing meadow. But Cheap is relative.

Get a job first.

Know who you are first.

Good luck.
btdt

dragonboy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2008, 3:07 pm

i ran 8 miles away from school, does that count?

Keoren
Toucan
Toucan

08 Feb 2008, 3:32 pm

I left without a warning when my parents weren't home. I did return the next day (as I had planned to). Interesting experience though I couldn't sleep and ended up walking over 40 kilometres without any real breaks. My legs hurt afterwards.

Zequr
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Feb 2008, 11:49 am

I ran away one time. Also I've time o time taken "holidays" visiting people I barely know on the other side of the country without saying anything before I'm gone. I've often thoughs of just abandon everything and live on the street because life is to hard