Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Space
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2008, 1:35 pm

A girl I was dating told me "You have no sense of humour!" and that we never find the same things funny ever. I don't completely agree, but I don't find a lot of comedy actually funny. I think most of it is stupid, and not clever enough. I find some shows funny, like family guy, it's always sunny in Philadelphia, and the John Dore show. Most comedy doesn't really make me laugh though. Anyone else here find the same?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2008, 1:39 pm

I do find most comedy funny.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

DocStrange
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2008, 5:08 pm

I get the "you have no sense of humor" comment because i like "The Office" and other shows where the humor isn't directly presented to you. I'm also a huge "Monty Python" fan. I also like Bill Hicks (who was the funniest man to ever walk the planet). That comment is mostly from family members, but around my NT friends they genuinely find me funny (none of that "let's laugh to be nice to him because we feel bad" stuff. I distance myself from those kind of people.) about 68% of the time.

Space
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2008, 6:53 pm

yeah I have a very dry sense of humour, I get it from my dad's side (he is british).

Berserker
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2008, 10:54 pm

I only seem to find Australian comedies funny.

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2008, 11:57 pm

I never find US Sitcoms funny anymore - I watched Mork and Mindy recently and remembered how funny they once were.

Sometimes you get the odd episode of South Park that's funny.

Other than that US TV Comedy sucks.

British Comedy is very funny .

Australian comedy is sometimes funny.

jamesohgoodie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2008, 3:55 am

i write a lot of comedy in my comic strip so i consider comedy my forte. my tastes are all over the map though. mostly they include Monty Python, Bill Hicks, George Carlin, Eddie Izzard, Patton Oswalt, Judd Apatow films, The Simpsons, South Park, and re-runs of Daria.

...for the record my comedy turn-offs include Dane Cook, Family Guy, the Epic Movie team, and Will Ferrell. the fact all have been so successful i find nothing short of astonishing.

NEVER NORMAL - Saving the World Between Sketchbooks
nevernormal.net

Icheb
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2008, 12:05 pm

Humour is one of my obsessions, but of course sense of humour is individual to each person. To me, the funniest TV shows ever made were "I Dream of Jeannie", "The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy", "The Simpsons" and "The Nanny", the funniest movies were "Airplane!", "Top Secret", "The Flintstones" and "Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me". I don't like humour that is either too sophisticated (if you have to stop and think before you get the joke, it's no longer funny) or too crude (bathroom humour is OK, but there has to be a punchline - the mere mention of bodily functions isn't funny, anymore than the mention of sexual matters is funny in itself). Slapstick is wonderful if the timing is right, sitcom humour is fine if the characters are outrageous enough.

Icheb
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2008, 12:34 pm

Speaking of humour: I think this Beetle Bailey strip is the funniest cartoon I've ever read (and you'll never believe how many I've read). Is anyone with me on this?

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2008, 12:45 pm

Dark, Dry, Wit, Satire, Slapstick, Sarcasm + Toilet.

The Seven Deadly Humours. ;)

merr
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2008, 1:43 pm

Comedic movies are not very funny to me.

I didnt laugh once during Rush Hour or Hitch, or American pie or any of the other blockbuster comedies.

Tv shows are often funnier as I think they have better writers. Always Sunny in Philadelphis comes to mind.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2008, 9:45 pm

I tend to like English humor. It is naughty, but not mean-spirited or crass.

zee
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2008, 11:08 pm

merr wrote:
Comedic movies are not very funny to me.

I didnt laugh once during Rush Hour or Hitch, or American pie or any of the other blockbuster comedies.

Tv shows are often funnier as I think they have better writers. Always Sunny in Philadelphis comes to mind.

I agree. I can laugh myself sick at things in MAD mag/MADtv, Monty Python, and satirical type movies, but most mainstream movies and sitcoms are only funny in theory. If there was no laugh track, no-one would laugh!

brfandan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Jan 2008, 11:15 pm

yeah, it takes more than a toilet joke that any frat boy can make to get me laughing. i tend to enjoy comedies like Sienfeld, curb your enthusiasm, the big lebowski, and mostly satires and dark comedies.

im surprised family guy does so well, i would think that a lot of the humor in it would go over most people's heads if they didnt have extensive knowledge of pop culture of the 80's and 70's. even some of the stuff in Blue Harvest was pretty obscure, that danny elfman joke was great, but i dont think most people outside of film nerds would have gotten it.

futurama is great, but i can see why more people dont like it, its really a comedy show for science fiction fans.

the simpsons is also one of those shows that most people wouldnt get a lot of the little jokes and references in them.

it definitely takes a bit more for us aspies to laugh, but i think humor can be a universal language everyone can understand.

zee
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2008, 11:22 pm

Icheb wrote:
Speaking of humour: I think this Beetle Bailey strip is the funniest cartoon I've ever read (and you'll never believe how many I've read). Is anyone with me on this?

That is pretty funny, yes. :lol:

I see you live in Schweiz... what do you think of Globi and Pingu?

Icheb
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2008, 2:31 am

zee wrote:
I see you live in Schweiz... what do you think of Globi and Pingu?

Pingu is quite cute, but Globi is a bit too basic for me. I've grudgingly come to acknowledge that Germans really do have a sense of humour (Nichtlustig, Ruthe, Geile Zeit), but I can't say the same for my fellow Swiss. Most Swiss comedies are awful, and I never watch Swiss television.