Page 6 of 6 [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2008, 10:42 pm

I passed my purple belt test with no problems. My whole body is sore but thats a good thing.

regularguy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 May 2008, 11:53 pm

Hey Jerry,

Congratulations. Good job!

Steve
--
"I can make it, I know I can.
You broke the boy in me, but you won't break the man."
--John Parr, "Man in Motion"

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2008, 1:13 pm

Martial Arts Rock ! !! !! !! !

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2008, 1:15 pm

I actually did my first free sparring as a purple yesterday and I was tired at the end lol. Then I free sparred since yellow with fellow club members so more experienced otherwise in the field than most purple belts by then.

traveller011212
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 May 2008, 2:29 pm

Yes, I have some training in most types, which many tend to be different flavors of the same thing. I have found that active forms of martial arts (ie. what current militaries use) are by far the most effective. I have splayed out 4th degree black belts prior to much training, thus have little respect for arts that emphasize point sparing. Ultimately, unless you are going to fight, martial arts are only a plyometric cardiovascular exercise.

Space
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2008, 3:26 pm

traveller011212 wrote:
Yes, I have some training in most types, which many tend to be different flavors of the same thing. I have found that active forms of martial arts (ie. what current militaries use) are by far the most effective. I have splayed out 4th degree black belts prior to much training, thus have little respect for arts that emphasize point sparing. Ultimately, unless you are going to fight, martial arts are only a plyometric cardiovascular exercise.

I agree. When I say "martial arts", I mean arts that use realistic hard sparring... fight sports. For the most part, that would be boxing or muay thai kickboxing, or grappling arts (brazillian jiu jitsu and wrestling). There are a lot of people with "black belts" in various "martial arts" that would get murdered in a real fight. If you enjoy it, fine, but don't let it give you the sense of confidence that you can actually defend yourself.

burnse22
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jun 2008, 4:05 pm

I did Karate for a few years, but ultimately I was useless at it.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2008, 11:47 pm

Space wrote:
I agree. When I say "martial arts", I mean arts that use realistic hard sparring... fight sports. For the most part, that would be boxing or muay thai kickboxing, or grappling arts (brazillian jiu jitsu and wrestling). There are a lot of people with "black belts" in various "martial arts" that would get murdered in a real fight. If you enjoy it, fine, but don't let it give you the sense of confidence that you can actually defend yourself.

better to be 99.9% able to avoid a fight than 99.9% able to win a fight - at least in our modern world.

JaredGTALover
Toucan
Toucan

30 Mar 2017, 4:23 pm

i kick really good in Karate,i felt muscle in the right side of my arm