What is the worst book you've ever read?

Page 8 of 10 [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2008, 12:07 am

kate27 wrote:
Yet another vote for the Scarlet Letter... and I had to read that in the same semester as Great Gatsby. Ya, I failed that class. :roll:

*shudders*

At the least the Scarlet Letter was better than the Great Gatsby. I still haven't figured out how people can enjoy that book.

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

MissPickwickian
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2008, 12:10 am

kate27 wrote:
Yet another vote for the Scarlet Letter... and I had to read that in the same semester as Great Gatsby. Ya, I failed that class. :roll:

I am going to have to read both of those in AP III next year. You're scaring me, man.

PowersOfTen
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Mar 2008, 12:37 am

Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki. Motivational nonsense disguised as a financial guide.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2008, 3:08 am

I think I liked "The Awakening" by Kate Chopin the least. I dunno, I hated many of the books I had to read for English in high school. I dunno, I don't think I minded Kierkegaard too much. I did not like his Practice in Christianity, but I enjoyed Sickness Unto Death.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2008, 8:16 pm

Happy Birthday, or Whatever...Annie Choi

Choi's story is depressing beyond belief. The family is so dysfuntional and the language is foul. She divulges way too much information about subjects that should be private. There is an awful lot of potty talk. I actually thought I'd throw up a couple of times when she talked about the urine and poop reeking streets in Korea. Generally dull and very unfunny.

Rainstorm5
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2008, 9:07 pm

PowersOfTen wrote:
Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki. Motivational nonsense disguised as a financial guide.

I had to read that book when I got my securities license and joined a mortgage/mutual fund company. It is just motivational nonsense, but they sure swear by it...

Needless to say, being an Aspie, selling Mutual funds and converting ARMs to fixed rate mortgages didn't work out for me. I didn't mind the paperwork, it was the selling that really put me off. Despite Kiyosaki's advice, I failed. I don't have a Sales bone in my body. I'd rather take pictures and paint wall murals.

adverb
Toucan
Toucan

11 Mar 2008, 6:50 am

who moved my cheese.

'rich dad poor dad' was pretty bad, but i only read the first few chapters. 'who moved my cheese' was short enough to get through in one sitting.

ford_prefects_kid
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2008, 1:25 pm

adverb wrote:
who moved my cheese.

'rich dad poor dad' was pretty bad, but i only read the first few chapters. 'who moved my cheese' was short enough to get through in one sitting.

My God, I was thinking of that when I saw this thread. I remember finding it in my grandmother's house at an age when I used to read everything I could get my hands on.

Stupidest book ever. Hands down. Didn't know others would've had the pleasure.

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2008, 7:08 pm

adverb wrote:
who moved my cheese.

I never read it but I remember reading a newspaper article interviewing the author of that book several years ago. He said that his friends all seemed so envious that the book was so successful because anyone could've written it.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2008, 9:16 pm

Just about any motivational/self help book on the market. I'm all for being optimistic, but a lot of these people seem to be over the top. I think they have something to hide.

GreatScott
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Mar 2008, 1:55 pm

Eragon. My little sister listened to it obsessivly on tape, and it was so freaking cliche I couldn't bring myself to read it, despite my friends recommendations. Really- did that book have ONE original idea?

"The Icon", or something- it was a trashy 'romance' novel from the 70s that made the rounds in summer camp because of the non-explicit sex scenes- it was all about a girl who gets kidnapped and drugged and raped, then falls in love with the guy because he was 'honorable'. It was even worse then it sounds.

MJIthewriter
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Mar 2008, 4:45 pm

A couple books:
Summer of My German Soldier by Bette Greene

I read it in Jr. High because I thought the subject sounded interesting. A Jewish teenager falling in love with a German Nazi soldier (escaped prisoner). First off I was disappointed to find out the characters’ relationship went way beyond a mere friendship. (The guy was way older than the main character). Another thing, the author played really heavy on the romance in some scenes. I read it through to the ending but the ending was so sad and emotional I couldn't stand to finish reading the last few chapters. :cry: I mean okay I get it... She's crushed because he got caught and had to be executed... I heard there was a sequel somewhere, but I thought no thank you...

Of Mice and Men by: John Steinbeck.

I liked it until the ending... I mean the characters were great, but I took offense at portraying a cognitively delayed person as being violent. It can happen, but it is not the norm. I don't think the situation was handled well. But then again that may be the point of the story is to show how unfair that man was treated.

There are probably others too... I don't tend to read much outside my interest which is usually nonfiction.

tmad40blue
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Mar 2008, 5:43 pm

The Chosen by Chaïm Potok. Impossible to understand anything that's going on in the book unless you're an orthodox Jew, which I'm not. Not trying to be racist at all, but it's true.

Zzzzeta
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Mar 2008, 8:23 pm

Wuthering Heights. See my list of forced reading material from school in another thread.

Kita
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Mar 2008, 6:10 pm

"Lord of the Flies" was really annoying to read.

SqrachMasda
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Mar 2008, 6:31 pm

i remember reading this book in high school about these really old ladies from down south
they may have been twins
but it was easily the the worst thing i've ever read, i forgot about it until just now
it is as bad as it sounds

people dislike reading probably because of the horrible books they force you to read in school
i only read text books now, math and science etc.
have not read a book for fun i chose to read in years