Parade Magazine Article: Is There Hope for Autism?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Stevopedia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jan 2008, 9:08 pm

The main article of Parade Magazine focused on autism this week (link to article).

The article takes a pro-treatment stance; the reader gets the feeling that without treatment, autistics face a dim future (which, as we all know, is simply not true.) It also implies that we will be unable to cope in the world unless we're diagnosed and treated very early on (we're talking before the age of four here.) I was diagnosed when I was eleven, and the only treatment I ever received was pharmaceutical (which has since been discontinued.) Nevertheless, I feel that I cope fairly well.

All in all, the article portrays autism in a rather negative light (none of the benefits are mentioned.) I'm still waiting for an article that puts autism in a positive light, but I fear that it will never come at this rate.

SusyQ
Raven
Raven

27 Jan 2008, 9:13 pm

I read the article, and just put my story on their comment section. Yeah, it does take rather a dim view of autism, but the last paragraph in the article is excellent and on track.
BTW, I wasn't diagnosed with AS until the age of 21. I have never had any formal treatment except for the love and care of two special parents. Life still isn't easy....but I am incredibly blessed and God knows what he's doing; I don't!

Space
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2008, 9:41 pm

Stevopedia wrote:
I'm still waiting for an article that puts autism in a positive light, but I fear that it will never come at this rate.

People are scared of what they don't understand. People who are different are viewed as threatening. I don't take this personally.

JWRed
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jan 2008, 10:39 pm

Stevopedia wrote:
The main article of Parade Magazine focused on autism this week (link to article).

The article takes a pro-treatment stance; the reader gets the feeling that without treatment, autistics face a dim future (which, as we all know, is simply not true.) It also implies that we will be unable to cope in the world unless we're diagnosed and treated very early on (we're talking before the age of four here.)

I am 36 years old and receiving federal disability and living with my mother. I am unable to cope with the world.

Save your, "Your using autism as an excuse." argument. I have never been around a bigger group of delusional people than I have found on this board.

TheFace
Toucan
Toucan

27 Jan 2008, 10:44 pm

Stevopedia wrote:

The article takes a pro-treatment stance; the reader gets the feeling that without treatment, autistics face a dim future (which, as we all know, is simply not true.) It also implies that we will be unable to cope in the world unless we're diagnosed and treated very early on (we're talking before the age of four here.) I was diagnosed when I was eleven, and the only treatment I ever received was pharmaceutical (which has since been discontinued.) Nevertheless, I feel that I cope fairly well.

All in all, the article portrays autism in a rather negative light (none of the benefits are mentioned.) I'm still waiting for an article that puts autism in a positive light, but I fear that it will never come at this rate.

Sounds like Autism Speaks Propoganda to me!

riverotter
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2008, 10:51 pm

I read the article in the paper today. It is just a fluff piece without any substance whatsoever, and prominently features a sidebar all about Autism Speaks' co-founder. Blah, blah, blah.

Rynessa
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jan 2008, 11:03 pm

The article also features a photo of a boy holding a green alien doll.
(I posted about this elsewhere)
Hidden message?

MissPickwickian
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2008, 11:04 pm

I read the article. It had no substance.