Aesthetics & disinterested in Science?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

criss
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2008, 2:33 am

I was just curious if there are any aspies that like me find science dull and boring?

Perhaps it is because I come from a line of artists and this contributes to my aesthetic desires I don't know. I was just curious because I have recently been diagnosed and again I find myself in a minority of one it seems. Which is fine, as this is me.

My other question is about beauty. For what I find attractive in a woman is something of the poetic in her, do most male aspies see beauty through scientific eyes? I think I feel like most aspies re being attracted to someone plain and daggy etc, but was curious with re the aesthetic/science thing.

"We are here on earth for a little space to learn to bear the beams of love." (William Blake)

Thank God for science, but feed me poetry please, as I am one that desires the meal & not the menu. (My own)

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2008, 5:09 am

My interest in science or should say a specific branch is much less then it was at it's height. Almost non existent now. It doesn't take much to kindle it up, if I get approached on the subjects. I can't do art, but I'm trying to express myself in more abstract ways now. I do think that art and science can and do blend. I think on a higher level then just say for a poor example, writing a science fiction book.

I would ask you this. Since my sense of beauty seems to differ somewhat from the main stream. Do you think you're observing with an artists eye? I read a thing and it seemed to fit what I saw, rather nice I thought and I like to call it my bedroom eyes although that alone won't fit the normal meaning for that phrase. In dull light or gentle light, I see facial features differently, they change, I can see the older her, the younger her and the present her. Now, a younger person might look at an older and say my god they're old and ugly. That isn't what I see and it is very often tempered by the attitude, the persona of the person. And yeah, my wife and I met with a common interest in a science first, we became friends, then lovers and then we wrecked it by getting married. Kidding, sorta. But she had to bang me over the head, I just assumed we were going to get married, I forgot to ask.

Windlord
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Jan 2008, 11:20 am

While, I don't find science to be particularly boring, I do tend to prefer art (especially writing and poetry) to be far more interesting.

Peace,

Windlord.

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2008, 1:09 pm

Science is neither to me, in fact I used to be really interested, until I decided that it wasn't the path for me.

I do not view physical beauty in a scientific manner, either.

criss
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2008, 3:29 pm

Thank you all who have responded.

"We are here on earth for a little space to learn to bear the beams of love." (William Blake)

Thank God for science, but feed me poetry please, as I am one that desires the meal & not the menu. (My own)

zee
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2008, 5:51 pm

I'm more artistic as well, although I have lots of interests that might be perceived as scientific, I don't have the right mind to be a scientist. Is that what you're asking?
I think it's true that people's minds tend to be analytical OR objective, but as an Aspie, you have to be somewhat analytical to survive. :)

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2008, 5:56 pm

I'm not an aspie so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but many people (including myself) combine the both. Often time in science (and especially mathematics) people derive an aesthetic pleasure from the subject they are interested in. I do not understand how someone can find science "boring" while preferring art, even though many things within science (like the double helix) possess just as much aesthetic beauty as art can. Science is full of things that many people would consider beautiful, chemical bonds, physiological systems, mathematical patterns, etc.

Beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder.

AdvenaIngenium
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Jan 2008, 1:52 am

Science is beautiful. Truth is beauty. The search for the secrets of Nature is divine (in a purely non-theistic way). I can't imagine how anyone could ever call science boring or dull.

criss
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2008, 2:39 am

do you think it might be a problem with the imagination then. For I can not imagine how science or maths can be beautiful. I am a great believer in the compatability of things and being an anarchist I fully embrace the idea that unity can not be achieved without embracing diversity, etc, etc. However, I see the importance of Science, but for me it really is like reading a menu at a resturant instead of enjoying the meal.

Do you think it might have anything to do with having ADD? for when I get into a resturant (sorry about the spelling again) I get flooded with information and just let someone choose for me, then can't wait for the sensory feast that waits for me.

The_Q
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Jan 2008, 8:25 am

I like art and science. The two are not mutually exclusive.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 3:35 pm

Dissing the Interest in Science? topic

Science is a Latin word for knowledge. I think Criss is referring to the Science of chemistry, physics and biology, and also architecture, mathematics, medicine, geology, and engineering. Actually, all these disciplines are quite fascinating though often difficult to understand, due to the technical jargon, abstractness, and mathematics involved. This might be what turns people off. I have only high school science and math courses but I found I can still follow a lot of the reported discoveries if explained and if I do research and ask a lot of questions. The other more aesthetic or creative disciplines, including art, psychology, politics, philosophy, literature, drama and music have their own language and structures that can be equally challenging to many people. They are different, not easier or harder.

Having said as much, not all Aspies are interested in the same kinds of knowledge. There is enough interesting info flying around that no one should ever get bored or have to make excuses for choosing whether or not to be interested in "science" over aesthetics.

Life is actually fascinating, and I am glad I got on for the ride. :)

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 3:36 pm

criss wrote:
However, I see the importance of Science, but for me it really is like reading a menu at a resturant instead of enjoying the meal.

My view is entirely the opposite. Science is the study of the natural world; it is the body of knowledge that tries to solve the Universe's most fundamental questions through analytical rigor. Of all the possible disciplines of study, none more epitomize life's "meal," to me, than science.

Of course, I also like art, and I am even an amateur writer, but, in my opinion, my artistic interests come second to my scientific ones.

DejaQ
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 3:48 pm

I'm a more visually-inclined person, and the facts of science outside of practical uses don't really interest me.

I don't have to know that stars are gigantic balls of gas in a vacuum to enjoy the starry sky.

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 4:20 pm

DejaQ wrote:
I don't have to know that stars are gigantic balls of gas in a vacuum to enjoy the starry sky.

Sometimes there's no better way to appreciate somethings beauty than by understanding it.

pbcoll
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 7:54 pm

The_Q wrote:
I like art and science. The two are not mutually exclusive.

True. In my case, while my interest in art has remained fairly constant, my interest in science is rapidly approaching zero... and I'm doing a science PhD.

criss wrote:
My other question is about beauty. For what I find attractive in a woman is something of the poetic in her, do most male aspies see beauty through scientific eyes? I think I feel like most aspies re being attracted to someone plain and daggy etc, but was curious with re the aesthetic/science thing.

I don't see beauty scientifically, just jude it by what appeals to me at an emotional level.

El hombre es una bestia famélica, envidiosa e insaciable. (Francisco Tario)

I'm male by the way (yes, I know my avatar is misleading).

wu_wei_lion
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Jan 2008, 7:55 pm

I'm planning on starting an MS in biology this fall and it does interest me but if I had the mental focus I'd be a symphony musician. When I'm on my game I'm a damned good trumpeter... I just can't see letting finances ruin something I love. So ya... I have a bit of each up in my trousers for sure.