What are your family/holiday traditions?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

jaleb
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2008, 12:53 am

I was curious to know about what some of you do as a tradition with your children or something your family did when you were a child? Since my family is basically alone it is up to us to develop this for our boys, but because of their AS there are so many things they do not like. We do the simple stuff like I let them decorate the tree at Christmas (even if that means they hang 6 ornaments on the same branch!) and regular boring stuff like that, and on their brithdays they can have whatever they want to eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner--even if I find it completely disgusting. I'm looking for new ideas!

"Be kinder than necessary,
for everyone you meet is
fighting some kind of battle".

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2008, 1:03 am

How about half birthdays? Exactly 6 months from their birthday is a special day, just for them. Maybe you give them a small gift, or take them somewhere fun.

jaleb
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2008, 1:06 am

that's actually a really good idea since they both have birthdays so close to Christmas (one is 12/11 and my other one is 1/29---today!! !!)

"Be kinder than necessary,
for everyone you meet is
fighting some kind of battle".

ster
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2008, 6:39 am

my family of origin only celebrated christmas, thanksgiving and easter....................i love holidays, and try to make them special for my kids. nothing terribly extravagant, just fun. on valentines day, i give each of my kids a card and a very small box of chocolate. on st patty's day, a leprechaun comes to visit ( me) and leaves a limerick on a green paper shamrock for each child. the limerick is a clue so that they can find the leprechaun's gold ( gold chocolate coins). for april fool's day, we simply eat our meals backwards~ that is lunch at breakfast-time, breakfast for lunch, and at dinner-time we eat our dessert first. on easter, it's the usual easter bunny..............gee, i think we must celebrate one holiday every month ! !! !! !! !! !!
for their birthdays, they get to have their favorite meal for supper. i also let them have their birthday cake for breakfast, and let them open their presents before school ( less anticipatory anxiety)....my daughter is the only one who won't eat cake for breakfast, as she says it's just too sweet so early in the a.m.

aurea
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2008, 7:33 pm

Ster: I'm moving in to your house.lol :lol: What a fun house. :D

EvilTeach
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 Jan 2008, 11:59 am

going to grandpas house for the 4th of july parade. After he passed away, we go to the mall for fireworks
with friends and neighbors, and play with glow sticks..

christmas eve.... daddy hides a present for each kid, and sets up a group of rhyming clues that eventually lead to the presents. My kids are 12 and 15 now, but they still like to do it.

Wedding anniversery.....
we call it family founding day, with a special supper (curried chicken) and we burn our wedding candle during the meal, and
tell stories about each other.