Really dark instrumental/noise music.

Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2008, 1:28 am

Does anyone have any recommendations? I can’t give any groups because I don’t know any that make this kind of music. I just imagine the sound of it in my head. Perhaps if people can post some stuff I can respond and let you know close it is to what I’m looking for. Then I can narrow it down.

markaudette
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2008, 1:35 am

I am a big fan of Tangerine Dream. They are famous for basically ushering in the Ambient genre.

However, I wouldn't classify them as being dark. Just moody, atmosphereic and trippy. Some of their pievces can be outright happy. And some others darkly forbodeing. Give them a try!

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2008, 2:54 am

It's not entirely instrumental, but the final SWANS release, 'Soundtracks For The Blind' is good stuff.

You may also want to look into these as well:

Boris / Merzbow - Sun Baked Snow Cave

Sunn 0))) - Black One

Boris / Sunn 0))) - Altar

Further artists you may with to check out are:

Earth
Merzbow
Controlled Bleeding/Paul Lemos
Sutcliffe Jugend
Fushitsusha/Keiji Haino
KK Null
Doc Wor Mirran
5ive

polarity
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2008, 4:46 am

http://www.eujiacha.org/ It's mostly dark trance (some very dark)

The free tracks (and working links) are between March '96 and June '00 (All the nenfiir sadefrex links point to is one of those 'hijacked for advertising' domains.)

You may be able to find more at http://www.netlabels.org.

UncleBeer
Veteran
Veteran

JestersKing
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Jan 2008, 8:52 am

a few bands i'm into that might fit the bill would be:

Opeth
Meshuggah
Tool
Esoteric
Tangerine Dream

they're pretty much all metal bands, hope that doesn't scare you off

PLEW++N+oK++w--M+PS+++PE--
Y--PGP-t+(++)5++X+++R+++tv
b+++DI+D++Geh-r++y++**

} geekcode ends

Windlord
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Jan 2008, 11:05 am

Hurt has some stuff that's kind of dark. They tend to blur between metal and instrumental though, so not sure if you're looking for that kind of stuff.

Peace,

Windlord.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2008, 11:55 am

Fogman wrote:
It's not entirely instrumental, but the final SWANS release, 'Soundtracks For The Blind' is good stuff.

You may also want to look into these as well:

Boris / Merzbow - Sun Baked Snow Cave

Sunn 0))) - Black One

Boris / Sunn 0))) - Altar

Further artists you may with to check out are:

Earth
Merzbow
Controlled Bleeding/Paul Lemos
Sutcliffe Jugend
Fushitsusha/Keiji Haino
KK Null
Doc Wor Mirran
5ive

I listened to the SWANS recommendation. I liked the mood but it seemed bit too heavy on the traditional “synth” sound than what I’m looking for. I’m looking for something with a more organic sound. Sampled white noise effects, wind effects, haunting notes, harsh noises, glitchy stuff. Sorry for being picky.

I recently downloaded an album called Substrata by Biosphere. I like track 10 (sphere of no form) on that album. I’ll probably buy that album but it’s rare and expensive so I have to wait till I have the money.

I'd like to find something with similar sounds to track 10 on Substrata, but slightly more dense and less "minimal".

I’ll check out the other recommendations later.

JohnHopkins
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2008, 1:32 pm

In a moment of shameless self-promotion...

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_mu ... dID=434314

I make noise music. Some of what's on there is acoustic singer-songwritery because I do that too, but 'Hoping For Palestine,' 'The New Theme' and 'One Thousand Smiling Soviet Children Marching Towards The Sun' are all instrumental noise pieces.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2008, 5:35 pm

marshall wrote:
I listened to the SWANS recommendation. I liked the mood but it seemed bit too heavy on the traditional “synth” sound than what I’m looking for. I’m looking for something with a more organic sound. Sampled white noise effects, wind effects, haunting notes, harsh noises, glitchy stuff. Sorry for being picky.

I recently downloaded an album called Substrata by Biosphere. I like track 10 (sphere of no form) on that album. I’ll probably buy that album but it’s rare and expensive so I have to wait till I have the money.

I'd like to find something with similar sounds to track 10 on Substrata, but slightly more dense and less "minimal".

I’ll check out the other recommendations later.

You'll find many of the others listed to be incredibly moody guitar have drone, Especially the Sunn 0))) and the Boris/Sunn 0))) collaboration. Merzbow is one of the original progenitors of Industrial music. Sutcliffe Jugend sounds somewhat similar to Throbbing Gristle. Paul Lemos/ Controlled Bleeding can be chancy. Some of the stuff that he did in the late 80's/early 90's is industrial flavored disco, whilst the majority of his early can best be described as a horrific, brainscraping wall of found industrial sounds looped togeather to produce extremely hypnotic, mesmerising, bleak and dystopic sound sculpture.

If this is your sort of thing that you'd like, you'd do well to look around for the compilation CD/Album entitled "Dry Lungs Vol. 1 (A Compilation of Industrial Music From Around The World)". This compilation came out in 1985 and features Merzbow, Controlled Bleeding, and Controlled Bleeding collaborating with Jarboe from SWANS. The original vinyl was issued by the now long defunct Placebo Records of Phoenix, AZ. --I don't know who released the CD version.

5IVE can be likened to Tool, if Tool were darker, droning, and more atmospheric w/o any pretentions of shifting mass market product spewed forth from the nether oriface of the AntiBob (Sorry, I mean the mass market music industry) directly into the outstretched, grasping hands of MallGoths(TM) worldwide. In short, like Tool, if Tool were really worth listening to. I high;y recomment their 'Telestic Disfracture' release.

mouapp
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jan 2008, 8:22 am

i was gonna suggest Kammarheit before you said 'less minimal'

still its good stuff

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 10:02 am

Am responding despite knowing none of my suggestions are quite right for what's being asked for-becuase I do like this difficult-to-describe sort of music. So I apologize in advance for not quite managing to hit the mark.
"Plight & Premonition" (album) by Holger Czukay & David Sylvian
Steve Roach & Jorge Reyas (or Reyes) did album together.
Vangelis-some of his material is actually spooky (to me), not the "popular" movie music.
"Blue Room" (40+ min. version) by the Orb
Einsterzenden Neuibauten (can't spell it, but some of their stuff is more sedate, less clangy)
Ministry "Dreamscape" (track)
DJ Shadow
Brian Eno
Hawkwind
I'll probably think of just the right thing AFTER posting this, of course...

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 2:30 pm

This is hard. Reason: Anything a bit noise/concrete/electroacoustic is possible to make that cold but not so much dark/black. It is a question of how much harmony you want even with cold you need a hint. Dark or black automatically implies harmonies and more traditional use of synth/guitar, though droneness can help. If you can figure out another way of doing it please enlighten me. Cold is quite good, being subtly different from dark. It can even be cold and upbeat which is pretty difficult with dark.

Also the people who do this type of music don't just do that and often not all of their tracks will be instrumental. You would increase you range is you include the voice as part of the electroacoustic noise but without lyrics.

Here some suggestions/research. Some of them might be a bit different from the original remit but you might like them anyway.

[drone metal/noise]
Sunn 0)))
Boris
Khanate
Black Boned Angel
Jesu
More Jesu

[cold/dark/black ambient/industrial/noise/industrial/concrete/electroacustic/glitch]
Polmo Polpo
Labo-Rezo
Nocturnal Emissions
MERZBOW
Daniel Menche
More Daniel Menche
Loscil
More Loscil
More Loscil
In Slaughter natives
Halo Manash
Halo Manash
Hafler Trio
More Hafler Trio <-warning naked man in video
Jeff Greinke
Autopsia

[noise/afrobeat/glitch/coldbeat]
Black Dice
More Black Dice!! !

Me likes :pirat: ! !

[cold/darkwave/ glitch/electro/ambient]
Trisomie 21
Trisomie 21
Trisomie 21

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 10:39 pm

I'm trying to find the suggestions. Listened to a few I managed to download. I guess "dark" is too vague. I'm not so into the drone metal stuff.

The drone metal reminds me too much of supernatural horror, like I’m about to be attacked by a demon. I’m more into a natural horror. I want the music that makes me imagine standing naked against a gale or being crushed under flowing glaciers.

I imagine eerie violin and guitar melodies along samples of stuff like humming machinery, whistling wind, rumblings, hissing static, echoey voices.

Sorry for being so picky. :?

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2008, 12:37 am

marshall wrote:
I imagine eerie violin and guitar melodies along samples of stuff like humming machinery, whistling wind, rumblings, hissing static, echoey voices.

Controlled Bleeding is what you want. So is Merzbow.

Also, I would consider looking around for a copies of Einsturzende Neubauten's 'Zeichnungen des Patienten O.T.', and 'Funf auf der nach oben Offenen Richterskala'.

You may also want to get Faust's unreleased fifth album which was available about halfway down this page. It was recorded mostly @ Giorgio Moroder's studio @ 1974, and the band ran up gigantic hotel and studio bills, which was followed shortly by Virgin Records dropping them from the roster. Subsequently it was never released, and only exists as a bootleg of sourced from a Virgin records Promotional tape.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2008, 7:14 am

marshall wrote:
I'm trying to find the suggestions. Listened to a few I managed to download. I guess "dark" is too vague. I'm not so into the drone metal stuff.

The drone metal reminds me too much of supernatural horror, like I’m about to be attacked by a demon. I’m more into a natural horror. I want the music that makes me imagine standing naked against a gale or being crushed under flowing glaciers.

Ahh too bad you couldn't listen to my suggestions because some in the second section may be what after.

I think Hafler Trio and Autopsia are pretty much exactly what you may be after. Jeff Greinke may be work considering but may be too 'hopeful'.

Also listen to Labo-Rezo, Nocturnal Emissions, Merzbrow, Daniel Menche for ideas.

Halo Manash have a more Gothic feel I guess much more supernatural. But doesn't mean you could sample those types of sounds and just use them differently.

It sounds like you want quite a strong industrial texture but a hint of progressive harmony.

To me drone doesn't just mean guitar pedal and feedback, and it is one of the components in the stew.

Sounds you may want to have a listen to:
Disinformation + Strange Attractor
Disinformation + Strange Attractor
Disinformation
Sonic Boom (Peter Kember)
Fata Morgana by Eliane Radigue
Hail Storm
Sandblaster
Didgeridoo
Mmridangam
More Mmridangam