Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2008, 9:16 am

If you were quirky as a kid are you now a quirky adult? Do you think quirkyness in some cases can be an asset rather than a handicap?

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

29 Jan 2008, 11:17 am

I was definitely a weird kid and I am most definitely a weird adult.

Is it an asset? Sometimes. My ability to absorb and process info at great rates then spit it back out onto a piece of paper is definitely a good thing. I sometimes can get out of sticky situations because I don't think in straight lines. My sense of humour definitely saves me a lot of trouble and energy.

Is it a problem? Sometimes. I definitely have my own sense of style and rhythm to everything that i do. I definitely have a hard time with co workers and the whole fitting into the work culture thing. I definitely am embarrassed because I just don't get stuff. Melt downs are bad. Obsessing over things that I can't cope with/work with/ deal with/ change is bad.

I think it's a mixed bag. But definitely just as weird as a grown up as I ever was as a kid.

MomofTom
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2008, 1:42 pm

I consider myself a quirky adult but can usually turn it off in appropriate situations.

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2008, 3:13 pm

I was an immature quirky kid and a mostly mature quirky adult.

It works for me and my subject (music therapy); especially since the majority of musicians tend to be like that.

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 Feb 2008, 2:18 am

I was quarky as a kid, and while I am different as an adult I am not nearly like I used to be. I dont consider it a handy cap in life, only a handy cap in love life really.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 3:27 am

No. Well, personality wise, I don't think I'm quirky (I'm more serious/sarcastic/somber), no one has ever told me such anyway.

AS brings its own distinctive quirkiness however, I have that.

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 3:44 am

I was quirky but got more normal as I got older without help or others' acknowledgement that I had ever been different. However, I got really socially anxious and then suddenly became more wuirky because the way I was treated by normal people was s**t and thus I didn't want to be normal; I didn't want to be one off those horrible people.