if your child is on a dairy-free/casein-free diet!!read this

Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

mmaestro
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Aug 2007
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 522
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA

29 Jan 2008, 6:31 pm

There's a big CDC double blind study on Gluten free/Casein free in autistic children due in the middle of this year. I'd just wait for that. The double blind part is going to be the important bit. I'm guessing it'll show that the effects are psychological, but I could be wrong. There hasn't been a good study on it yet, this'll be the first that doesn't rely on anecdote.


_________________
"You're never more alone than when you're alone in a crowd"
-Captain Sheridan, Babylon 5

Music of the Moment: Radiohead - In Rainbows


zendell
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 Nov 2007
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,174
Location: Austin, TX

29 Jan 2008, 6:34 pm

beau99 wrote:
That is a biased website, so I have no desire to view it.


The studies aren't created by anyone on the site. The site simply lists all the studies that you can find by going to PubMed and searching for them. If you reject them, then you are clearly anti-science. You seem to label anything that disagrees with your views as biased or junk science. I think you should be more open-minded.



beau99
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Nov 2007
Age: 34
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,406
Location: PHX

29 Jan 2008, 6:37 pm

zendell wrote:
I think you should be more open-minded.

I AM open-minded.

I just merely reject anything that isn't proven fact.

Most of these studies are not proven.


_________________
Agender person.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar


zendell
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 Nov 2007
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,174
Location: Austin, TX

29 Jan 2008, 6:40 pm

mmaestro wrote:
There's a big CDC double blind study on Gluten free/Casein free in autistic children due in the middle of this year. I'd just wait for that. The double blind part is going to be the important bit. I'm guessing it'll show that the effects are psychological, but I could be wrong. There hasn't been a good study on it yet, this'll be the first that doesn't rely on anecdote.


Double blind? Do you really think people can't tell what they eat? You can make gluten-free bread look like regular bread but it doesn't taste anything like the real thing. I don't see how anyone can not know what they are eating.

There's actually been close to 50 studies on gluten and casein in autism that can be found at http://www.autismndi.com/news/default.a ... ow=Studies although the CDC may be the first that is double-blind if they can really accomplish that.



mmaestro
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Aug 2007
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 522
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA

29 Jan 2008, 6:46 pm

zendell wrote:
Double blind? Do you really think people can't tell what they eat? You can make gluten-free bread look like regular bread but it doesn't taste anything like the real thing. I don't see how anyone can not know what they are eating.

I don't know the methodology, but I've been assuming everyone goes on a gluten-free/casein-free diet, and then gluten/casein is introduced through supplements. In that form, parents will have no way of knowing who's getting what. I agree - there's no way people wouldn't tell the difference in bread and the like, so this is the only reliable way. The study's using thousands of children over a multi-year period, so it would surprise me if their methodology is bad. It's too darn expensive to do this sort of thing to not have thought of that sort of thing (although I guess we'll find out for sure when the finally publish).


_________________
"You're never more alone than when you're alone in a crowd"
-Captain Sheridan, Babylon 5

Music of the Moment: Radiohead - In Rainbows


mmaestro
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Aug 2007
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 522
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA

29 Jan 2008, 6:48 pm

zendell wrote:
There's actually been close to 50 studies on gluten and casein in autism that can be found at http://www.autismndi.com/news/default.a ... ow=Studies although the CDC may be the first that is double-blind if they can really accomplish that.

The problem is that placebo effect is huge amongst the autistic population, parents of children on placebos report improvements in half of all cases. Double blind is absolutely the only reliable way to test on this population because parents are so good at seeing improvements that aren't there when their kids take the latest miracle cure.


_________________
"You're never more alone than when you're alone in a crowd"
-Captain Sheridan, Babylon 5

Music of the Moment: Radiohead - In Rainbows


logitechdog
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Nov 2006
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 973
Location: Uk - Thornaby

29 Jan 2008, 6:50 pm

lotusblossom wrote:
im supprised vegans live longer then (which they do) and what damage is the gluten and dairy going to do if you cant process it and its making opioids in your brain? Most people in the east (who also live longer) dont eat dairy. Are you sure this study was not sponsored by the milk board?


Vegans would drop dead if supplements weren’t around... Human body is not designed for that diet due to the fact we are missing a bacteria organ before our stomach... Just thought ill stick that in...

And where is the study that they live longer?

Not sure where you got your information. I've tried looking up how vegan diet affects lifespan and found very contradictory results. Vegan groups claim they get anywhere from 5 to 15 extra years but don't have specific studies to prove it. They rely on research investigating various parts of vegan lifestyle and generally assume that they will have virtually no chance of heart disease, cancer or other diseases. Other researchers found that vegans actually live just about as long as the rest of us but most deaths in the studies were not from the the leading causes of death in the general population (heart, attack, stroke, cancer) and were not thought to be diet related.


_________________
Prior To Understanding What The Problems Are, An Individual Can Head In Many Different Directions, Wasting Valuable Time & Effort. When S?He Learns What The Problems Are & What Can Be Done Then S?He Has a ?Compass? To Guide Him/Her


zendell
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 Nov 2007
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,174
Location: Austin, TX

29 Jan 2008, 6:51 pm

beau99 wrote:
I AM open-minded.

I just merely reject anything that isn't proven fact.

Most of these studies are not proven.

beau99 wrote:
It's psychological.

You think it's doing this, but it's really not.

I bought into the theory in November and I never felt worse. It's psychological BS and nothing more.


You claim to be open-minded but you reject scientific research. You state you reject anything that isn't proven fact but you tell people who claim it helps that it's psychological and state the diet is ineffective even thought there's no proof that gluten and casein free diets don't help.

You reject anecdotal evidence from thousands of autistics who claim it helps by posting your own anecdotal account that the diet didn't help you.

Why do you have double standards? Why do you refute other peoples anecdotes and then post your own anecdote to refute them? Why do you reject the idea that the diet helps because it isn't proven and then tell someone it doesn't work even thought it's never been proven not to work? The scientific evidence indicates the diet works (even thought it hasn't been proven), yet you are convinced it doesn't work despite a lack of evidence.

Conclusion: You are very opposed to science



beau99
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Nov 2007
Age: 34
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,406
Location: PHX

29 Jan 2008, 6:54 pm

No. I posted a FACT.

I don't believe in anecdotes.


_________________
Agender person.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar


zendell
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 Nov 2007
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,174
Location: Austin, TX

29 Jan 2008, 6:56 pm

mmaestro wrote:
zendell wrote:
There's actually been close to 50 studies on gluten and casein in autism that can be found at http://www.autismndi.com/news/default.a ... ow=Studies although the CDC may be the first that is double-blind if they can really accomplish that.

The problem is that placebo effect is huge amongst the autistic population, parents of children on placebos report improvements in half of all cases. Double blind is absolutely the only reliable way to test on this population because parents are so good at seeing improvements that aren't there when their kids take the latest miracle cure.


Most of these studies don't have placebo effects. For example, one study found most autistics have antibodies against gluten and casein compared to less than 10% of controls. A placebo can't explain that.



zendell
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 Nov 2007
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,174
Location: Austin, TX

29 Jan 2008, 6:57 pm

beau99 wrote:
No. I posted a FACT.

I don't believe in anecdotes.

Really? What do you call this?

beau99 wrote:
I bought into the theory in November and I never felt worse. It's psychological BS and nothing more.



beau99
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Nov 2007
Age: 34
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,406
Location: PHX

29 Jan 2008, 6:59 pm

zendell wrote:
beau99 wrote:
No. I posted a FACT.

I don't believe in anecdotes.

Really? What do you call this?

beau99 wrote:
I bought into the theory in November and I never felt worse. It's psychological BS and nothing more.

A fact that I felt worse than before after I tried it for a month.

I'm NEVER going GF again.


_________________
Agender person.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar


zendell
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 Nov 2007
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,174
Location: Austin, TX

29 Jan 2008, 7:01 pm

beau99 wrote:
zendell wrote:
beau99 wrote:
No. I posted a FACT.

I don't believe in anecdotes.

Really? What do you call this?

beau99 wrote:
I bought into the theory in November and I never felt worse. It's psychological BS and nothing more.

A fact that I felt worse than before after I tried it for a month.

I'm NEVER going GF again.


The diet didn't make you worse. It was psychological. Your anecdote doesn't mean anything.



beau99
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Nov 2007
Age: 34
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,406
Location: PHX

29 Jan 2008, 7:02 pm

zendell wrote:
beau99 wrote:
zendell wrote:
beau99 wrote:
No. I posted a FACT.

I don't believe in anecdotes.

Really? What do you call this?

beau99 wrote:
I bought into the theory in November and I never felt worse. It's psychological BS and nothing more.

A fact that I felt worse than before after I tried it for a month.

I'm NEVER going GF again.


The diet didn't make you worse. It was psychological. Your anecdote doesn't mean anything.

I posted a FACT. GET OVER IT ALREADY.


_________________
Agender person.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar


zendell
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 Nov 2007
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,174
Location: Austin, TX

29 Jan 2008, 7:07 pm

beau99 wrote:
zendell wrote:
beau99 wrote:
zendell wrote:
beau99 wrote:
No. I posted a FACT.

I don't believe in anecdotes.

Really? What do you call this?

beau99 wrote:
I bought into the theory in November and I never felt worse. It's psychological BS and nothing more.

A fact that I felt worse than before after I tried it for a month.

I'm NEVER going GF again.


The diet didn't make you worse. It was psychological. Your anecdote doesn't mean anything.

I posted a FACT. GET OVER IT ALREADY.


I tried the gluten-free diet and it greatly helped me. You said it was an anecdote and psychological BS. Seems you don't like people telling you the same things you tell them.



WurdBendur
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Dec 2007
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 648
Location: Indiana

29 Jan 2008, 7:18 pm

I definitely don't avoid dairy, but I guess I don't get the vegetables I should. And while I do love fruits, I don't eat them all that often. I don't have scurvy or anything.


_________________
"If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them." - Isaac Asimov