Life long problem with short term memory.

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2008, 11:55 pm

I have a very poor short term memory which I have had as far back as I can remember like I have to cross check several times it I have to write a phone number down. I usually cannot remember in one go. Long term memory is good and not a problem and I can often hold my own at Trivial Persuit. I some were to read out a random set of numbers asked to repeat them then my limit would be four numbers.

As a child if someone asked me to say "put the blue ball in the red box" then I would not have a problem but if the instructions get a little more complex like "put the blue ball and the red box and the yellow ball in the green box" I would start the struggle and often would have to ask them to repeat the directions. Then a little more complex again like "put a blue ball in the red box and then take a yellow ball out of the green box and a green ball out of the red box and bring them to me" I would be totally stumped a an instruction as complex as that. I would have to get them to get me though it in stages. Like I would have to say “I put the blue ball in the red box, what then?” My bad short term memory could not cope with it.

Does you or anyone else you know have this problem?

Whisperer
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jan 2008, 12:31 am

I have; not sure if it's anxiety or what. It doesn't happen all the time; I even feel that my short term memory functions very well sometimes.

Anyway. . . at work. . . somebody quickly tells me to do a number of things, all of which require a certain order, concentration and time. . . as if it were the simplest thing. I need to actually stop the person and write it down because I know I won't remember. After a few words it feels more like they are shouting gibberish at me; I need to process it to remember. It's like I'm quickly overloaded.

Shelby
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jan 2008, 12:37 am

My short term memory is pathetic, but long term is amazingly good.

Heron
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Jan 2008, 2:01 am

My short term memory is not that good either, the best solution for me is to write it down, but most of the time I can't be bothered. I believe this is a fairly common documented autistic trait, shared with goldfish :lol: although I've yet to play one at Trivial Pursuit, I can't swim :( .

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 5:28 am

It's a common aspie trait - terrible short term memory - great long term memory.

The only solutions;
1. Write it down immediately
2. Attempt to commit it to long term memory if applicable.

I don't think you can otherwise improve it since it's a genetic thing.

TheFace
Toucan
Toucan

30 Jan 2008, 5:31 am

gbollard wrote:
It's a common aspie trait - terrible short term memory - great long term memory.

The only solutions;
1. Write it down immediately
2. Attempt to commit it to long term memory if applicable.

I don't think you can otherwise improve it since it's a genetic thing.

I always keep a pen and a piece of paper on me - so I can remember things. I want a smartphone so bad so I can keep things on there.

lovebat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Jan 2008, 5:37 am

TheFace wrote:
I want a smartphone so bad so I can keep things on there.

Thats a good idea. I've just been going the pen & paper road myself. Maybe I need to get with the times.

matt
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 5:52 am

My short term memory is very poor. My long term memory, on the other hand, is excellent.

Last edited by matt on 02 Feb 2008, 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 5:58 am

oh yes... since I got the BlackBerry I'm using it for everything - reminders, messages and lists. Often I send myself emails for when I get back to my desk. I might have to write a few blackberry applications on our server to help :)

My previous phone - an ancient nokia, I never used. Actually, I hardly ever use the telephone features of the blackberry.

no more paper for me.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 6:05 am

Yeah im kind of like this.. when I go out I put everything that cant go in my purse in a big bag because if I carry more than 2 things I will eventually leave something somewhere.

Twice this winter I have outdone myself by losing the big bag itself.

Taking a break.

lupin
Toucan
Toucan

30 Jan 2008, 6:48 am

This is actually a working memory issue, rather than short term memory.

Info comes in and you're supposed to hold it in this working memory cache wheilst you decide what to do with it, how to use it.

Some bits are discarded, others are transferred to short term memory. In turn, items that are repeated, that you concentrate on, that are brought to your notice though their attachment to high emotional importance are transferred finally to long term memory.

That's basically how it was explianed to me by the psychologist who tested my memory functions. Think of a pc with HD (long term memory), cache (short term),

What happens is the program and data is loaded from the hard drive into RAM (short term) and then into cache RAM (working) where the info is operated on (using CPU) in the moment. Or vice versa.

And yes, my working memory is rubbish - as Paul descri bes. I am completely wedded to my laptop - it is my working and short term memory. Without it I would be living in a complete haze of info that i find very difficult to sort out. Indeed , before computers I lived the whole of my life in a fog.

The ironic but typically aspie adjunct to all this is that I have the amazing hyperfocus and ability to work with very specific data for extended periods of time. Computers have extended my capacity wonderfully.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 6:50 am

My short term memory is almost FANTASTIC if it is an EVENT! If a person comes to my desk and asks me to do something, or I drive somewhere, etc.... I REMEMBER! I may remember it for DECADES(literally). If I try to remember a list of words, etc... it is a tossup.

Icheb
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 8:30 am

I have difficulties keeping several things in my mind at once. Usually I can't remember more than two things, and when a third pops up, I forget the first. It's the typical "standing in the kitchen wondering what you came in here for" scenario.

cataspie
Toucan
Toucan

30 Jan 2008, 9:17 am

I have problems with working memory and that was something i also went to speech therapy for.I get over loaded and if i get over loaded my mind shuts down and i find i cant even count or know my own phone number.At home i forget what im doing but ive found out that writing lists and talking mysef through tasks as very helpfull.I get distracted by my own deep thoughts or even pattens or words on things.My social worker used to discribe me as an absent minded professor.Im not sure if that makes sense as how can your mind be absent?

xyzyxx
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 9:23 am

Icheb wrote:
It's the typical "standing in the kitchen wondering what you came in here for" scenario.
Happens to me all the time.

Kaleido
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 9:26 am

Yep, short term or working memory is a failure, like in Fatal Error.

Long term good for some things.