Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Zzzzeta
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Jan 2008, 6:04 am

I have AS, but was only diagnosed recently after years of suspecting I was different in some way. I don't drive (no focus, unsafe) and have only ever held low-paying jobs despite scoring 140 on my school's IQ test. I do, however, have a gift for art, and I'm taking a few months off work to build up a portfolio for sale. I think I'm lousy at normal jobs because this is what I'm meant to be doing.

Anyway, has anyone noticed any correlation between artistic/creative talent and AS? Are you artistic? Share your thoughts.....................

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2008, 6:07 am

Creativity is my finest point. Aspergers makes it more interesting I think, I pay attention to detail and have zany ideas that I usually manage to pull off.

Good luck with your portfolio.

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2008, 6:31 am

Hi and welcome to the aspie community..

I think AS people are more interesting artist... good luck with your work, I always feel the best art work is when its an extension of yourself..

I never could really drive, even though pass very quickly and I found out apart from having aspergers I also am dyspraxic and dyslexic:
http://asplanet.info/forum/index.php?topic=5.0

Margrethe
Raven
Raven

31 Jan 2008, 6:55 am

I think you're on to something. I've always been praised of my eye for detail. I've drawn and painted before, but do mostly photography now.

Wilco
Toucan
Toucan

31 Jan 2008, 12:40 pm

I really can't paint or draw or stuff like that. But my poems are good.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2008, 1:48 pm

this is not aspergers specific [it's referring to people from the whole autism spectrum] but at the NAS' Victoria House day centre,it's got paintings on paper [no frames or canvases],all over walls inside painted by service users-auties and aspies-it's mainly all abstract stuff,very nice art.

Am classic autistic,and am find am very good at the abstract type,it's about the colour and shades to am.
Sister is on the hf end of the spectrum and she paints other pictures or objects,she paints on canvases but has a few lying in her spare room as she said her boyfriend painted a picture better than her so she's not going to bother anymore.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2008, 1:58 pm

I might not be the best artist in the world, but I still enjoy doing my art, and I'd like to sell it at my local Flea Market, every Sunday.

Zzzzeta
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Jan 2008, 10:17 pm

Thanks for the welcome, and for the comments. If you'd like to see some of my paintings and photographs, plus a 22" functional peace pipe which I carved and decorated, check out my Putfile page at http://www.putfile.com/zzzzeta

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2008, 10:24 pm

Yeah, creativity rocks.

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2008, 11:27 pm

I am an artist. I am pretty good at it. I do wildlife paintings and drawings. I'm so good I'm having a few art shows coming up in my area.

AspieDave
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2008, 11:37 pm

Hans Asperger himself said for success in science or the arts, a touch of autism was essential....

We tend to be creative, but along our "strength". I have a fair hand at drawing, but I write, that's where my creativity flourishes. My wife is a poet and painter. I have a friend who expresses his creativity through programming, it's what his gift is.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2008, 8:37 pm

I find I express myself better through art. Also doing it uses all of me, so it is time out from my usual mixed thoughts.

Doing anything you get better, and find what you do well.

It turns out I am a better printer than painter, and am doing large format fine art printing for others.

Art is the best relaxation I know, it takes me away.

jayssite
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Feb 2008, 9:06 pm

I think there is a correlation. I do music, writing, photo/video, programming. Also, the only aspie I know IRL is also a great writer.

Berserker
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2008, 10:28 pm

I have AS, and draw stuff.

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 4:08 am

I always doodled in class; I would draw pics of people, especially girls, with wierd creative clothes and hairstyles.

wolphin
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Feb 2008, 4:13 am

While I think that people with aspergers can excel at nearly any field (excluding those that require exceptional social skills), people with aspergers usually tend to be very capable at either the sciences/math/engineering, or the creative fields(art, etc)

So I am not surprised then, that you find that aspergers and artistic skill seem to go together (at least for you)

I don't drive either.