Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

aurea
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2008, 3:55 pm

I was reading Smelena's posts yesterday about her wonderful trip over seas, and frankly was a little jealous :wink: .
When I woke up this morning I thought I would put the idea out there, that perhaps those parents/kids in Melbourne could find a central location and catch up/meet. :D
My 9 year old is yet to meet anyone (we know of) with aspergers, I just thought it would be cool for him to have concrete evidence that he isn't alone.

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

01 Feb 2008, 7:41 pm

Aurea,

That's a great idea.

However you'd get more people reading if you posted in the Random Discussion and gave the title 'Melbourne Meet-up'.

The great thing about people with Asperger's is they don't discriminate on age, so I'm sure your son would be happy to meet people of all different ages.

My 9 year old states one of his best friend is a 45 year old family friend.

Good luck. I should try to organise a Brisbane meet up - it's funny that I've travelled all the way to London to meet people from WP, but not in my own city.

Helen

katrine
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 11:17 am

Great idea - good luck.
(I'd come if I was in Melbourne :D )

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

02 Feb 2008, 5:57 pm

Aurea,

I forgot to mention The Australian Asperger's Association (or whatever their exact title is!)

Here is their website of the Queensland branch. Sorry I couldn't find the Victoria branch's website address:

http://www.asperger.asn.au/HomePage

I joined last year and it has been great. They have regular support groups in all different cities. They also organise seminars, with Tony Attwood a regular speaker!

Or you could try [url]http://www.autismvictoria.org.au/home/[url]

There are bound to be parent support groups already in place.

Helen

aurea
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 6:18 pm

Thanks! :D
J will be enrolled in whats called "the Saturday club" run by Western Autistic School, Im just waiting on the paper work. They have a parents support group that meet when the kids go off to do their thing, I believe this is a social club designed for kids with asperger's, we are very excited about meeting up with kids/families that we can relate to. :D

Temma
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Feb 2008, 4:26 am

Hi aurea,

what a good idea!!

And there's also NAPS too, (Northern Autism Parents Association), who meet Friday mornings at Yooralla (I think). I can't make it to the meetings but a friend of mine does and she says it is a fantastic support group. They have get-togethers with the kids as well. There is also a forum that can be quite helpful if you have specific questions. Let me know if you'd like more details.

I'm in Thornbury and you're in Ascot Vale aren't you?

Temma

Earthshine2112
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Feb 2008, 5:08 pm

Hi aurea and Temma. I agree it would be good for Melb parents and kids to meet!

We're in Werribee. Happy to travel to inner West or North. I'll talk about this with my wife today.

aurea: I'd like to hear more about the Saturday Club if you don't mind.

Cheers.

Earthshine2112
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Feb 2008, 11:29 pm

Hi again,

My wife also likes the idea of catching up. Happy to hear your where & when suggestions.

aurea
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2008, 2:02 am

I will get back to you very soon, I've had a let down with the school meeting I had today. Just trying to get my head around it all.