Most people on this forum don't have Asperger's Syndrome

Page 15 of 15 [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2015, 12:16 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
ASD diagnosis is based on needing support for mental functional deficits.

The DSM spells it out.

Functional deficits aren't the same as intellectual impairments.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2015, 12:30 pm

iliketrees wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Sensory overload was added to the diagnostic criteria in part because Autistic people kept on saying it is an important part of their lives.

The fact it changed does show that the manual is receptive to advances in research though, does it not?

Yes it does, that is just another reason to not accept the current manual without question.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2015, 12:34 pm

But what exactly do they mean by support? What about ASD people who live on their own and have no care givers because they can take care of themselves?

Do they mean support like strategies they use or having a school aide or having a partner that helps them so their life is easier, or having a caring sibling that helps them understand things or parents who help them understand things, or do they mean therapy or having a job through disability service or having work accommodations? Does being on SSDI count as receiving support?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2015, 12:37 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
iliketrees wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Sensory overload was added to the diagnostic criteria in part because Autistic people kept on saying it is an important part of their lives.

The fact it changed does show that the manual is receptive to advances in research though, does it not?

Yes it does, that is just another reason to not accept the current manual without question.

Why's that?

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2015, 2:04 pm

I'm self-diagnosed with autism, never did get an official diagnosis but i definitely have autism. Rather moderate autism.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2015, 3:27 pm

iliketrees wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
iliketrees wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Why's that?

Why accept the DSM 5 as the undisputed truth and think any questioning of it is wrong when further research might prove their conclusions are in error. All change in history happened basically because of people questioning the conventional wisdom.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2015, 3:36 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
iliketrees wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
iliketrees wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Why's that?

Why accept the DSM 5 as the undisputed truth and think any questioning of it is wrong when further research might prove their conclusions are in error. All change in history happened basically because of people questioning the conventional wisdom.

I see your point. It's just a set of criteria prone to change with time. But I also see that someone is only considered autistic in the first place if they fit the criteria. For the current time it's correct until there's a better way. It's the best there really is, along with the ICD. And to be honest I don't think anyone is in a position to challenge it unless they have a better way of diagnosing autism. The DSM dictates what autism is, not the other way round. Hopefully that is possible to change but who knows?

HisShadowX
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Sep 2015, 6:22 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
The majority of the people who post on this board, have AS. There are some people on this board, such as parents and other family members, who don't have it. as well as teachers. I also don't see anything with my intelligence.

Are you considering the people who consider themselves as having ASD or the people who are actually confirmed and diagnosed?

Cause according to some people here you can claim to have a disorder or disease because, you know.....

I am going to start saying I have sickle cell anemia even though I am not of African Descent because I know I have it and no one could tell me different. Is ASD the only disorder that people just come into claiming they have it with the only proof that they are told they have it by a parent or themselves?

I mean do people go up claiming they have cancer by just knowing? Or how about being HIV+ how do you know your HIV+ no point in getting tested cause we know...

I mean, how many other disorders do you see that people talk an online test and if they passed they are ASD? In that case the online test I took that told me I am more like Gandulf the Grey more than any LOTR character seeing that online tests are not the bible and to be taken as correct and accurate.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2015, 6:57 pm

HisShadowX wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
The majority of the people who post on this board, have AS. There are some people on this board, such as parents and other family members, who don't have it. as well as teachers. I also don't see anything with my intelligence.

Are you considering the people who consider themselves as having ASD or the people who are actually confirmed and diagnosed?

Cause according to some people here you can claim to have a disorder or disease because, you know.....

I am going to start saying I have sickle cell anemia even though I am not of African Descent because I know I have it and no one could tell me different. Is ASD the only disorder that people just come into claiming they have it with the only proof that they are told they have it by a parent or themselves?

I mean do people go up claiming they have cancer by just knowing? Or how about being HIV+ how do you know your HIV+ no point in getting tested cause we know...

I mean, how many other disorders do you see that people talk an online test and if they passed they are ASD? In that case the online test I took that told me I am more like Gandulf the Grey more than any LOTR character seeing that online tests are not the bible and to be taken as correct and accurate.

I am professionally diagnosed and a cancer patient and have been a member here since 2013. Most "self diagnosed" I see have done much much much more research about autism then taking one online test. To determine that I had cancer a biopsy was done. To diagnose me as Autistic several tests were done, my sister was interviewed and I was observed. Determining that I had cancer was based on cut and died physical evidence. Diognosing my Autism was a very educated guess based on self reporting tests and observation. There is at this time just no comparison in diagnosing most diseases and diagnosing autism. Clinition knowledge about adult autism is not that great so who can make a better educated quess? The clinition who may not be knowlagible in adult autism or the hyper focused adult who does exhaustive research? Depends on the individuals involved. I can definitively say that I am unable to make blanket judgements that all "self diagnoses" are trendy fakers who based their conclusion on one online test. Appearently I lack the ability that so many have that have been able to determine this (sarcasm)

outlander
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Sep 2015, 9:17 pm

The effect of the elimination of Asperger's as a specific diagnosis from the DSM is that it eliminates understanding about who we are by just blending us in with a whole bunch that we are not.

-- Green
-- Blue,
-- infra-red,
-- ultra-violet,
-- radio waves,
-- microwaves:
These are all just different wave lengths on the electro magnetic spectrum. Blue is not green nor is it microwaves. They are very different, they are employed differently they are managed differently and by radically different equipment. While there is something to be gained by understanding them as all being electromagnetic wavelengths, there is no particular advantage to trying to understand microwaves by beaming them at a optical glass triangular prism.

Just as green occupies a particular position on the electromagnetic spectrum so does Asperger's occupy a particular place on the mental spectrum and blurring that distinction is not helpful to Aspies! It may be helpful to the professional "shrinks" But if I wanted a diagnosis or perhaps some training or insights on how to cope or deal with Asperger's, I would prefer a professional who specializes in it understands the distinction from the rest of the spectrum and not a someone who just lumps it all together.
If you wanted eye glasses you would go to an optician, not a microwave technologist!

It should be noted that in his novel, 1984 George Orwell in dealing with the concept of Big Brother's new language called "New Speak" noted that if you eliminate the word for something it becomes very hard to talk about it, (e.g. if people have no word for the concept of freedom they will not talk about it or feel the lack of it) In similar manner if we have no word for "Asperger's Syndrome", it becomes much harder to talk about the specific blend of characteristics, problems, or benefits that compose it or how to deal with it.

I regard reclassifying Asperger's syndrome as "just another part of the Autism spectrum" as inappropriate and counterproductive.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2015, 10:24 pm

outlander wrote:
The effect of the elimination of Asperger's as a specific diagnosis from the DSM is that it eliminates understanding about who we are by just blending us in with a whole bunch that we are not.

-- Green
-- Blue,
-- infra-red,
-- ultra-violet,
-- radio waves,
-- microwaves:
These are all just different wave lengths on the electro magnetic spectrum. Blue is not green nor is it microwaves. They are very different, they are employed differently they are managed differently and by radically different equipment. While there is something to be gained by understanding them as all being electromagnetic wavelengths, there is no particular advantage to trying to understand microwaves by beaming them at a optical glass triangular prism.

Just as green occupies a particular position on the electromagnetic spectrum so does Asperger's occupy a particular place on the mental spectrum and blurring that distinction is not helpful to Aspies! It may be helpful to the professional "shrinks" But if I wanted a diagnosis or perhaps some training or insights on how to cope or deal with Asperger's, I would prefer a professional who specializes in it understands the distinction from the rest of the spectrum and not a someone who just lumps it all together.
If you wanted eye glasses you would go to an optician, not a microwave technologist!

It should be noted that in his novel, 1984 George Orwell in dealing with the concept of Big Brother's new language called "New Speak" noted that if you eliminate the word for something it becomes very hard to talk about it, (e.g. if people have no word for the concept of freedom they will not talk about it or feel the lack of it) In similar manner if we have no word for "Asperger's Syndrome", it becomes much harder to talk about the specific blend of characteristics, problems, or benefits that compose it or how to deal with it.

I regard reclassifying Asperger's syndrome as "just another part of the Autism spectrum" as inappropriate and counterproductive.

This is a very strong argument. I have heard variations on it from several diagnosticians. One was a developmental neurologist, one was a psychiatrist and one was a neuropsychologist. All of them said they understood the reasons for the DSM 5 change, but thought that the Aspergers label was a useful pointer to something distinct and believed it would remain in use for that reason. They also expected it to make a resurgence when the etiological pathways become clear.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2015, 1:27 am

Tony Attwood has an interesting page on this:

http://www.tonyattwood.com.au/index.php ... ing-autism

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2015, 8:02 am

Now that the "Neurotribes" book has revealed that Hans Aspergers work was even more important than thought and it was deliberately squelched by Leo Kanner whose contributions have been revealed in a much less positive light, it more then ever shows that officially re-recognizing him is the right thing to do.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2015, 8:13 am

iliketrees wrote:
Tony Attwood has an interesting page on this:

http://www.tonyattwood.com.au/index.php ... ing-autism

That's a good review of the thinking behind the move to the umbrella ASD diagnosis. While it's pretty clear about not finding a meaningful distinction between HFA and AS, the idea that there is a distinct profile on the spectrum, shared by HFA and AS people, that merits a label of some kind. That is the perception that those clinicians who continue to support the idea of a distinct label have expressed to me. They currently discuss people as "high functioning ASD, Asperger's type" and it seems they share an understanding of what they mean by that.

Eternally500
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Sep 2015, 10:17 am

The major problem today is the way the media through around terms about Autism or Asperger which have no absolute meaning. The science that is actually done around autism is the one thing at the heart of our society that gives us more information that we can find out more about ourselves.

Science in itself can not be held responsible for how the media spins the stories. Like for one instance when they start talking about that autism is a form sickness. or another thing when they start talking about how people can look to medial solutions to try and change autistic people. This drives a business model for private cooperation’s that people start to believe in.

If there rather was a company that did the middle filtering in how to best explain things to the media when it comes to scientific things then there would be a much better process. And not guessing or jumping pointless topics that has nothing to do with austism. They can make a 1000 different Oprah but until more media understanding change it will just continue being the same old game of trying and trying over again and hoping for a different outcome.