Albert Einstein is not your poster boy!

Page 1 of 8 [ 116 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 4:17 pm

Many aspies claim here that Albert Einstein was surely an aspie , they use his name as an example of a successful aspie.
They say that Albert Einstein was great because of his Asperger.

STOP capitalizing on his name! There's no proof that Albert Einstein was an aspies ...in fact many points in his biography show otherwise. He was genius , he was loner at school (and so most genius children) but that doesn't make him an aspie , he had a great sense of humor , he was weird but he was NOT socially impaired and he got married twice.

As long that Einstein's Aspgerger is still under speculation an as long there's no scientific proof for that yet , then STFU.

Last edited by LePetitPrince on 02 Feb 2008, 7:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 4:27 pm

If he were alive today, he would definitely be diagnosed.

So please.

Hush.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar

Icheb
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 4:27 pm

"Stop The Farting Umbrellas"? I've never believed that Einstein was an Aspie. A more likely candidate is Marie Curie. In her mother's biography, Eve Curie reports that as a student, Marie couldn't afford to heat her appartment, so she piled chairs on top of her bed to simulate warmth through the weight. That never made a lot of sense to me, and I'm wondering whether it wasn't simply a typical Aspie desire for the comfort of pressure. Also, Albert Einstein is quoted as complaining that on their walks together, Mme. Curie would be so concentrated on the subject under discussion that she didn't notice the birds singing in the trees.

logitechdog
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 4:31 pm

Think every one of them use his name, think he has a list as long as 40 pages of stuff he is lol

http://rarediseases.about.com/cs/asperg ... 041003.htm

Prior To Understanding What The Problems Are, An Individual Can Head In Many Different Directions, Wasting Valuable Time & Effort. When S?He Learns What The Problems Are & What Can Be Done Then S?He Has a ?Compass? To Guide Him/Her

Last edited by logitechdog on 02 Feb 2008, 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 4:32 pm

LePetitPrince wrote:
Many aspies claim here that Albert Einstein was surely an aspie , they use his name as an example of a successful aspie.

STOP capitalizing his name! There's no proof that Albert Einstein was an aspies ...in fact many points in his biography show otherwise. He was genius , he was loner at school (and so most genius children) but that doesn't make him an aspie , he had a great sense of humor , he was socially impaired and he got married twice.

As long that Einstein's Aspgerger is still under speculation an as long there's no scientific proof for that yet , then STFU.

People are free to express their opinions here, however you are not free to tell anyone here to stfu.

- Emerson

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 4:34 pm

I haven't pushed that, etc... I am with the OP to a degree, BUT....

It is IRONIC that they have MORE evidence that points to einstein being HFA than most here have of THEIR beind HFA or ASPIE! His brain was apparently denser, had an unclear sylvian fissure, and was oddly arranged! That points to autism and HFA! He was a very late talker! He could imagine well(That seems to be more of an autistic trait than an NT one, despite claims to the contrary), and used that ability to try to model his theories. He was poor without an interest, but tenacious with one.

As for the wives? He WAS famous, etc... As for the genius<->bad socially tie? Yeah, that IS interesting, isn't it?

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 4:46 pm

w/e he is... they did find morphological differences in his brain

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 5:17 pm

Who wouldn't want Einstein as their very own?

Zarathustra
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 5:50 pm

He was apparently unconcerned about social niceities. And more significantly, never wore socks. [Case Closed]. Oh BTW, so he got laid at least twice? Some of us do you know...

ddrapayo
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Feb 2008, 5:53 pm

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People_spe ... and_Newton for the case that Einstein was autistic, as well as the case that he wasn't. It also discusses newton, though

Spiral153
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Feb 2008, 5:57 pm

LePetitPrince wrote:
STOP capitalizing on his name!

What I dislike about Aspies mentioning Einstein (or Isaac Newton, for that matter) is that they sometimes use his name in an attempt to reinforce the idea that Aspies are "better than" or "more intelligent than" or "superior to" non-Aspies. :roll:
Oh, please!

MrSinister
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 6:16 pm

Spiral153 wrote:
LePetitPrince wrote:
STOP capitalizing on his name!

What I dislike about Aspies mentioning Einstein (or Isaac Newton, for that matter) is that they sometimes use his name in an attempt to reinforce the idea that Aspies are "better than" or "more intelligent than" or "superior to" non-Aspies. :roll:
Oh, please!

I think I've mentioned his name as a way of getting people to recognise that Aspies can be just as valid as NTs - the girlfriend of a workmate has a son who, from the descriptions of his behaviour, is an Aspie (or at least on the spectrum somewhere), and his girlfriend refuses to acknowledge that he might be Aspie or autistic, instead calling him "gifted" and trying to shy away from the "stigma" of autism. I thought that mentioning that Einstein's possible AS might help him to reassure her that there is nothing "wrong" with her son per se... but I don't think it will be a quick process.

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 6:44 pm

I think LePetitPrince is correct. I've read several biographies of Albert Einstein and he was quite social and charismatic. I would never think to diagnose him with AS. Newton would seem more fitting, but then again, I do not take such "retro-diagnoses" seriously.

Dishman
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Feb 2008, 7:44 pm

Phagocyte wrote:
I think LePetitPrince is correct. I've read several biographies of Albert Einstein and he was quite social and charismatic. I would never think to diagnose him with AS. Newton would seem more fitting, but then again, I do not take such "retro-diagnoses" seriously.

Einstein achieved enormous notoriety. That goes a long way to being charismatic in and of itself.

As Henry Kissinger said, "Power is the ultimate Aphrodisiac".

Given the stature Einstein attained, being able to read more than the most basic emotional responses was completely unnecessary.

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 8:30 pm

Dishman wrote:
Phagocyte wrote:

Einstein achieved enormous notoriety. That goes a long way to being charismatic in and of itself.

As Henry Kissinger said, "Power is the ultimate Aphrodisiac".

Given the stature Einstein attained, being able to read more than the most basic emotional responses was completely unnecessary.

Actually, I had his college years particularly in mind, before his fame. He was also quite popular with the ladies.

IdahoAspie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 8:59 pm

LePetitPrince wrote:

STOP capitalizing on his name! There's no proof that Albert Einstein was an aspies ...in fact many points in his biography show otherwise. He was genius , he was loner at school (and so most genius children) but that doesn't make him an aspie , he had a great sense of humor , he was weird but he was NOT socially impaired and he got married twice.

He sure is my poster boy. I am proud of him!

Sorry he has your panties in a bunch.

I think to call AE a NT is silly, and not well thought out! I am going with the experts on this over that the, I know probably more qualified to make the judgement, OP.

If you cannot call AE on the spectrum, then who from History can you? I don't think ANY professional would honestly be able to deny AE was not the spectrum. In addition to the overwhelming evidence and testimony, they have his brian, he is on the Spectrum, and obviously was above average intelligence.

For those that dog on Aspies for "claiming superior intelligence" I would like to remind people that in order to be diagnosed as an Aspie, you have to be both Autistic and of at least average intelligence. So they are correct, factually, as a whole, are smarter than the average bear, by denfiniton of the term. But we are not all highly intelligent, just a little bit over average, but that intelligence is negated by a social disability.

That said, intelligence is fluid, and subjective to the situation and measuring stick. My social IQ makes me almost ret*d, my long term memory and general knowledge makes me highly intelligent, I sometimes forget if I ate dinner, or brushed my teeth, But I can remember what pants I wore when 4 years old on a Monday morning in preschool. I might also forget to brush my hair before leaving the house, so which am I, totally ret*d, or highly intelligent?

Best Regards,

Idaho Aspie