Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

regularguy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Feb 2008, 3:25 am

Hey guys,

Space mentioned this idea in an earlier thread.

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp1182531.html#1182531

Also, it could be a way to show NTs that we "can still give a guy a boxing lesson," as GrantZilla remarked.

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp1182292.html#1182292

We've got several boxers here at Wrong Planet. What do you guys think? It could be a way to raise awareness about AS.

I'm game.

Steve
--
"I can make it, I know I can.
You broke the boy in me, but you won't break the man."
--John Parr, "Man in Motion"

GrantZilla
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Feb 2008, 3:55 am

There are a lot amatuar boxing events where the proceeds go to some sort of charity. I'd be total game if it raised money for AS awarness.

I'd have to start training again though. Gotta lose like twenty pounds to get back to my fighting weight. Yikes.

regularguy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Feb 2008, 5:20 pm

GrantZilla,

That's a great idea about the fund raising for AS awareness. That was kind of in the back of my mind when I started this threat, but I didn't mention it. I like you're idea. Heck, one of my coaches wants to hold a doctors vs. lawyers boxing event to raise money for a children's charity. I'm hoping to box in that on the lawyer's team.

We could do the same kind of thing for awareness of Asperger's syndrome. I'm glad you like the idea and would be willing to box in it. We need to get a few more guys, of course, but hey, it's a great cause and we've got some of the talent here.

How would you like to proceed with this?

Steve
--

Soon
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2008, 9:30 pm

Sounds good I box I won nov division championship title in Lowell MA a long time ago but I still can box like hell.

regularguy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Feb 2008, 2:38 am

Soon wrote:
Sounds good I box I won nov division championship title in Lowell MA a long time ago but I still can box like hell.

Great. We've got 3 so far!

Steve
--

Soon
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2008, 10:02 am

regularguy wrote:
Soon wrote:

Great. We've got 3 so far!

Do we have any female boxers yet they are mean and visious boxers!

Space
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2008, 5:27 pm

I haven't had any fights yet but I likely will at some point.

regularguy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Feb 2008, 5:58 pm

Space wrote:

Good man. I liked your team idea when you mentioned it. We have 4 guys now. Great.

If you keep training and want it, you'll get some fights. No doubt about it. Keep up the good work!

Steve
--

Soon
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2008, 6:11 pm

Space wrote:

Did you get a U.S.A amiture boxing licences yet. Its a little thin book the records your fights win and losses, Dr's checks.
Train first, train hard, then fight. The person who is in the better shape wins.

Sorry about the horrable spelling.

regularguy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Feb 2008, 6:25 pm

Soon wrote:
Train first, train hard, then fight. The person who is in the better shape wins.

Hi Soon,

That's really great advice. If you're in better shape than your opponent, you've got a much better chance of beating him. You can't overstate the importance of conditioning. Skill is very important, too, but you won't get much of a chance to use your skills if you're not in good shape.

A couple of times, I was able to beat guys who were better boxers than I was, in terms of skills, because I had better conditioning. I had to use the endurance to be compensate for lesser skills, but I was able to do so by pressing the action at a really fast pace for the entire duration of the rounds. I was glad, too, because I could not have outboxed those guys!

Steve
--

Soon
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2008, 6:31 pm

regularguy wrote:
Soon wrote:

Hi Soon,

That's really great advice. If you're in better shape than your opponent, you've got a much better chance of beating him. You can't overstate the importance of conditioning. Skill is very important, too, but you won't get much of a chance to use your skills if you're not in good shape.

A couple of times, I was able to beat guys who were better boxers than I was, in terms of skills, because I had better conditioning. I had to use the endurance to be compensate for lesser skills, but I was able to do so by pressing the action at a really fast pace for the entire duration of the rounds. I was glad, too, because I could not have outboxed those guys!

Hey Steve,

I won a few just on the fact I could run around on my opponent, That were more skiled but out of shape. Catch me if you can! Over the years I have goten more skill and thinking going on in the head. But I like keeping on the move. Lots of bob//weav/in/out/side stepping.
Then it comes down to who wants it more? Me or the other person? Me of corse. :D

regularguy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Feb 2008, 3:52 pm

Hey Soon,

It sounds like you scored some pretty impressive wins. I never ran around much, but I did work at staying on my toes so I could get in, land a combination, and get out quickly, usually moving away behind the jab. That worked if the guy was the same height as I am. Against a taller opponent, he would try to stay in the center of the ring using his reach advantage, while I worked to cut him off. My favorite part is keeping up the pressure on the guy. Just keep pressuring him with the basics, it doesn't have to be anything fancy or particularly slick. For me, the most important thing was to be in good enough shape to keep attacking.

Steve
--

GrantZilla
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Feb 2008, 4:14 am

Regularguy you're a pressure/swarmer kind of fighter huh. Fans love those kind of fighters.

I'm more of a puncher/boxer myself. I use my jab to set up power shots and combos.

Soon sounds like a slickster. Those guys were always the toughest for me, because they are always moving and keeping me from sitting down on my punches and getting full leverage on my shots. I usually just end up having to box guys like that and throw out getting a knock-out.

Very frusterating kind of fighters lol

regularguy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Feb 2008, 4:33 am

GrantZilla,

Aha! So you're the guy who keeps his left glove in my face the whole time, eh? :)

Steve
--

GrantZilla
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Feb 2008, 4:45 am

Man, I love you swarmers. Just come right into my blasting range.

Like what Big George Foreman said, "Don't crowd a puncher."

He should have told that to poor Joe Frazier.

regularguy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Feb 2008, 4:52 am

GrantZilla wrote:
Man, I love you swarmers. Just come right into my blasting range.

Haha! Bring it! :P

Steve
--