Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2008, 11:00 pm

I sometimes have a mental block, like tonight: I was about to wash my hands and as I turned the water I paused for a bit wondering what to do.

I also forget things just as soon as I put them down--I constantly misplace pens.

:?

I hope I'm not the only one.

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2008, 11:37 pm

You're not alone. I sometimes go out to the kitchen to get something, and when I get there, I totally forget why I went there in the first place. I usually remember, after I sit back down in my recliner. Sometimes I think I'm gonna end up with alzheimers. :wink:

sodarktheshadows
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Feb 2008, 11:52 pm

this happens to me all the time...i don't usually get too worried about it, and tend to laugh it off...unless it happens at work. then it's a problem, and affects productivity. not to mention, makes me look stupid...lol

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2008, 11:58 pm

Yes, this is a condition which seems to be caused by waking up and getting out of bed.

Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2008, 12:44 am

I'm sure even ret*d people can wash their hands with no problem...

don't quite understand your choice of words @@

Asterisp
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2008, 12:46 am

If that already is ret*d...

I have like 50 pens around my place, luckily my boss provides them like candy, we are actually encouraged to take them from work and pass them around. Otherwise I miss them constantly.

Sometimes I just sit down and need to think about a next step...

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2008, 12:48 am

886 wrote:

Yeah, it would have been clearer if he said; I temporarily forgot what I was doing.

Whisperer
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Feb 2008, 1:05 am

Yeah, there are some days I just can't focus at all and it shows both physically and mentally; those days I can't relax and act naturally - it's like I have to constantly come to terms with the environment and my short term memory is nought.

Pithlet
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Feb 2008, 1:08 am

Moments, days, weeks... I wish my flashes of genius could last as long.

Last edited by Pithlet on 04 Feb 2008, 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2008, 1:17 am

886 wrote:

and I am sure you don't understand what the word "ret*d" means.

I decided to add a reference:

re·tard 1 (r-tärd)
v. re·tard·ed, re·tard·ing, re·tards
v.tr.
To cause to move or proceed slowly; delay or impede.
v.intr.
To be delayed.
n.
1. A slowing down or hindering of progress; a delay.
2. Music A slackening of tempo.

kit000003
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Feb 2008, 1:24 am

I told someone once that I have no short term memory. They argued with me that if I had no short term memory then how did I remember long term things. I guess what i should have said was i have almost no short term recall.

I forget where my pens went, where i am supposed to be, and what i am supposed to be doing. Like right now. There is a reason I am online, I just don't remember, and I won't until sometime an hour from now.

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2008, 1:43 am

Sometimes one would ponder..

lovebat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Feb 2008, 1:51 am

Pithlet wrote:
Moments, days, weeks... I wish my flashes of genius could last as long.
:lol:

I know exactly what you mean. My mom always used to yell at me because I wouldn't be doing my chores that she just asked me to do 10 minutes earlier. Like she would ask me to clean the bathroom upstairs and I would get up to do it but when I got to the bathroom I was supposed to clean I had already forgotten why I was there. I would then start to brush my teeth, thinking that that is what I had gone there to do. After brushing my teeth, I felt that I had accomplished what I set out to do :D , so I would go back downstairs and sit down to watch the Simpsons. A half hour later she would notice that I hadn't cleaned the bathroom yet and start yelling at me and I'd say something along the lines of, "Dammit, thats what I got up to do. I'm sorry, I forgot. :oops: " She, having a perfectly good memory herself, would find it impossible to believe that I could forget something so simple, and assumed I was just too lazy to do it. I think that was the source of most of my disagreements with my mom.

Dunwich
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Feb 2008, 2:00 am

Yeah, I know what you mean. I'd call it "General Blanking", and it comes and goes.

As a child I used to also get the opposite quite often, where I'd suddenly feel a great understanding of the general universe and be able to read, write, and imagine at a frantic pace. I called these moments, "Inspiration Frenzies". Hardly ever happens now, what with my metabolism slowing down and no sex life to increase the blood flow to the areas of the brain that exercise routines can't reach.

and that is beautiful.

-TMBG

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2008, 2:08 am

Dunwich wrote:
Yeah, I know what you mean. I'd call it "General Blanking", and it comes and goes.

As a child I used to also get the opposite quite often, where I'd suddenly feel a great understanding of the general universe and be able to read, write, and imagine at a frantic pace. I called these moments, "Inspiration Frenzies". Hardly ever happens now, what with my metabolism slowing down and no sex life to increase the blood flow to the areas of the brain that exercise routines can't reach.

I'm able to induce "inspiration frenzy" mode if I take some types of speed. I don't do this anymore though.

ps1r3n
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Feb 2008, 4:09 am

No you're not the only one. Everybody I speak to has this going on, not just aspies. It seems to be something us humans just get now and again.