Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2008, 5:52 am

I've been looking for work lately. I've had some success, but I need more work in order to be able to support myself.
I get called for plenty of interviews, so I must look ok on paper. I am certain that I can do well in the jobs that I apply to. I am competent.
I think that my problem is the interviews themselves. I am not sure how I should sit, or where to put my hands, or how much eye contact is appropriate, or how lengthy my answers to questions should be, or anything like that. I've been told by many people in the past that I appear uncomfortable and/or bored. This happens no matter how I really feel. I don't know how to come across in any other way.
I have learned to prepare for certain questions. However, I am always asked unexpected questions. When this happens, I freeze.

What can I do to overcome these problems? In most situations involving people, I watch other people and do as they do. However, I do not have the opportunity to watch other people at job interviews. Are there perhaps videos available in which I could watch people setting examples of how to be a good interviewee?

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2008, 9:56 pm

That looks very helpful. Thanks. :)

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I