Have you ever COMPLETELY misjudged a persons age?

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

k96822
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2008, 8:28 pm

Ya know, I think if I wore a hat and lost, like, a billion pounds or something, people might think I was less than 30.
Maybe I should try that? :-)

Dishman
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Feb 2008, 8:37 pm

I'm generally on the receiving end of it. The gap started when I was about 10, and widened gradually until I was about 25. At 25, people thought I was about 15. Its stayed that way since then. At 28, I was accused of being under 18 and having a fake ID.

There's only been one person who's age I haven't gotten fairly close on. That was almost 3 years ago. I was on a plane flying to a job interview, and I'd pegged the girl next to me as 5 years younger. She was returning home (Vancouver BC) from vacation in Yosemite. She'd pegged me as late 20s. I think she was 39 or 40, and I was 36.

sweetsquirrel
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 Feb 2008, 3:40 pm

it's really getting harder and harder to tell. like, I'm pretty tall, but I look like a stick, and my slight figure's drowned out by all my clothes, so I'm usually told I look way younger then I actually am. I'm 16, gonna be 17 in April and I've been told I look like a particularly tall 13 year old. People are frequently shocked to find out I'm 16. At my mom's job, they look at me and go "REALLY? 16? Already?" and they have that glint like they think my mom's lying or something! it's really odd. I'm sooo afraid to go see an R-rated movie after my birthday this April because I just KNOW I'm going to get carded. and I don't have any form of identification yet!

yet, girls in my school constantly get confused. freshmen look like seniors, and carry themselves like seniors, so of course there's much shock to find out they're really freshmen. and some of the seniors are really teeny and if they didn't have their senior sweatshirts, would get pegged as freshmen. I myself have been called a sophomore on more then one occasion when I'm a junior. you'd think they'd figure it out because I'm not in any of their classes, lol.

I tend to guess actor's ages wrong. like, i thought Ellen page from juno was my age, but it turns out she's like, 21. And for the longest I thought Natalie Portman was 18, even though years passed and I knew she must be much older. it's really hard to tell.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2008, 7:11 pm

hahahha, sometimes.

I once thought this woman at work was 29, but she was actually 40. 8O

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2008, 10:14 pm

I tend to be both of the receiving and the wrong guesses end. I really am 16 (well, 17 in ten days, but the same thing), but people tend to guess that I'm in my twenties based on physical appearance (which actually makes it fun when they offer me alcoholic beverages in restaurants; not that I ever take them up on it, of course, but my mother's expression never gets old); likewise, my mother, who's in her forties, is guessed to be in her thirties.

Personally, I simply suck at guessing ages. A boy I thought was five turned out to be ten; a girl I thought might be eight was actually thirteen. I'll guess older too; the most embarrassing example of such was when I told someone that she didn't look older than 45 (and I was rounding down; she had made a remark about looking ancient) and found out that she was actually 39. :oops: I've gotten to the point where I just guess on categories; baby/toddler, young-young, youngish, teen, young adult, 20s-40s adult, middle age, old, really old.

Three years!

TheMidnightJudge
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 11:13 pm

A bunch of people seem to misjudge my age on this forum.
At times it's clear how immature I really am, like in most of my haven posts.
However, when I get to debating, I can leave a strong impression.

Mist
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Feb 2008, 1:25 am

Yes, many times. That's why I never guess when people ask me to. I'm horrible at guessing people's ages. Probably the most shocking I've experienced are when I found out the real ages of Steve Burton and Quinton Flynn (they're actors/VAs). Steve Burton is 38, and I thought he was in his early 20s. Quinton Flynn is 43, and I thought he was in his 30s. ^^; I think I have problems because I have no real concept of what "older" people look like. My dad was 36 years older than my mom, so my idea of what old is is different to most.

-Mist