Gentoo 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
Other (please specify) 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Other (please specify) 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 54

Psychlone
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2005, 10:45 pm

This has probably been done before, but it hasn't been done recently, so here it is. Please vote for what is your favorite distro. :)

Please don't be offended if I did not include your distro. I based the poll choices on the most popular Linux distros according to Distrowatch.com. I have included an "other" option just in case yours isn't included.

jb814
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Sep 2005, 7:31 am

Debian, then Suse, then knoppix. Gentoo is great if you have time to go from stage 1,.... too big a subject for a simple poll I think, Anyway I'm going for FreeBSD in future.

alexj
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Sep 2005, 9:03 am

Knoppix/Kaella then BeatrIX.
Also Suse which is very easy to install, especially if you've got to make a disk partition.

mathogre
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Sep 2005, 3:20 pm

In the days when Red Hat was interested in its users, that was my fav. Today it is SuSE.

alexj
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Sep 2005, 4:08 pm

mathogre wrote:
In the days when Red Hat was interested in its users, that was my fav. [...]

I do agree. Red Hat is the first distro I could install. Currently, I am limited because of hardware compatibility, that's why I tend to prefer live cd to do tests before installation.

Am I dreaming or there are here women who are interested about Linux ?

Tim_p
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2005, 6:05 pm

I think you're dreaming, everyone's profiles say they're male.

I haven't used that many different distros yet, but so far my faves are Gentoo and Knoppix.

Psychlone
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2005, 12:02 am

There are some women here interested in Linux. They've not posted in this thread yet, but they have in others. :)

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2005, 10:07 pm

MEPIS. I had a few misgivings about it, but haven't found anything else which is as user friendly but with the Debian base. I prefer it to Ubuntu as I prefer to have a root password - sudo drives me nuts - and I like KDE. Second is Debian itself, then Kubuntu. Some of the light Slackware variants are interesting too. :)

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2005, 7:30 pm

Ubuntu (5.04:-Hoary Hedgehog 64 bit)+GNOME,for it's lag free ease of use and stability.

Pikachu
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2005, 8:09 pm

I can only say Ubuntu as it is what I am used to

both my desktop and server run v5.04, and it does a good job for both uses (it comes with apache which is a bonus, but i think most distros do anyway)

Now you all know what Linux 2.6.10-5-386 is on my uptime graphic :D

Allegedly away with the fairies for 6-7 years

Jetson
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2005, 3:53 am

I have 5 computers with Linux installed on them, although two are obsolete and haven't been turned on for quite a while. Of the three remaining boxes, two of them are Debian and the third (a Microsoft XBox) is running Xebian, although very little of the original Xebian install is left as I've used the Debian apt-get sources to update it. I use the XBox to watch MythTV.

newchum
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2005, 6:23 am

I've got to say Mepis because it is fairly easy to use, however I do not have the ram required to run it smoothly (I only got 128 MB vs 256 MB). I'm using currently a slackware based distro called Zenwalk. I'm still ironing some bugs with it, however it has worked well so far.

MindOfOrderedChaos
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2005, 9:21 am

Im using RedHat 9 at the moment because my Mandrake 10 install couldnt run my win modem. Im thinking about upgrading to Fedora pretty soon or perhaps finding out how to get my modem working on Mandrake 10 so then I can have a more upto date linux install. Im starting to think I may have to actually go and buy some linux cds :( . I dont usally like to pay for software.
Redhat 9 doesnt work the button for speach marks for some werid reason. Im completely new to linux. I have used mandrake knoppix live cds before but I havnt installed it on a system before.
The test box that I am using for linux is a Pentium 4 2.4ghz machine with 512mb ram.

I need to learn alot more about linux I think. But I figure having it installed is the main way for me to learn. I found installing aplecations and setting up the WINmodem alot easier that I ever expected it to be in redhat.

rearden
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Dec 2005, 5:42 am

I started out with Slackware. It had no package managers, configuration tools, or anything else--you really had to know what you're doing. It forced me to learn a lot about Linux, so I'm very glad I started out using it.

Not long afterward, I got a job that involved administering several Red Hat servers. At first I hated how RPM's, the cutesy GUI tools, etc., made things too dumbed down and Windows-like. But I soon appreciated how they made life much easier when it came to managing multiple boxes, which allowed me to devote time to more interesting stuff than maintaining servers.

After that I stayed with RedHat, then Fedora. Right now, two Fedora boxes are what keep a roof over my head. So Fedora gets my vote.

I'd really like to take some time to play around with other distros, though.

jackd
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Dec 2005, 9:55 am

It all depends on what I intend to use the box for, but I voted for MEPIS. I installed it recently and was really impressed. All the applications are pre-configured to work together (mplayer plugin for firefox, xmms filetypes associated with it...) and it has much better software choices than Ubuntu (which, for example, doesn't use xmms - WTF?) as well as being a more "normal" debian system. Plus you can use it as a live CD or do a HDD install. That being said, if I'm running a server I like to know what's on the system as opposed to having all these packages pre-installed, and I prefer FreeBSD (which I also use for my desktop at home). I've done a gentoo Stage 1 before and it was fun, but I haven't had the time to do it again since.

pemdasi
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Jan 2006, 6:55 am

Debian - mostly. Depends on what I am installing for. For instance I have a border firewall that runs openbsd, while my two laptops run debian. I've been using debian for a while now. I think my history is something like slackware -> redhat -> gentoo -> debian. Been thinking of switching to something a bit more current however, just haven't had the time to do the proper research.