Did This Science Teacher Go Too Far With This Demonstration?

Page 3 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

skahthic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2008, 3:14 pm

codarac wrote:
EvilKimEvil wrote:
codarac wrote:
Still, we all know nature can be cruel! I don't know if it's too healthy to want to give it a helping hand, and then stand around and gawp at it. I mean - what next? Bear baiting?

Bear baiting (in which trained fighting dogs attack a restrained bear) has nothing to do with anything that happens in nature. Snakes, like all living things, must eat to stay alive. All snakes are completely carnivorous.

However, most snakes (captive and wild) prefer to eat in privacy. The noisy crowd was probably stressful for the snake. A stressful eating experience can cause a snake to regurgitate its prey later on, which would be a waste.

The snake was not given a helping hand. The teacher moved it in order to give the crowd a better view, not to make its job easier. The way in which the teacher handled the rabbit was for the snake's safety. Rodents can and do injure reptiles, even large ones, prior to being seized and subdued.

Fair enough. I don’t think I expressed myself too well. I was kind of just thinking out loud.
I guess I meant to comment less in terms of what is natural than in terms of what is necessary.
If you work in an abbatoir, you will necessarily see things that many other people will find disturbing.
If your pet snake needs to eat, it is not particularly necessary to have a class of schoolkids stand around and watch. The audience are thus there for their own entertainment.

And, ok, I admit I was not in the least bit disturbed by the video. Much as I like bunny rabbits, there’s something a bit comical about seeing a big, ugly python swallow one whole.

Now, though – here is a deep, philosophical question. Take the following situation – not entirely analogous, but similar.

You have a pet cat. Every day it brings a dead bird into the house.
Now you could lock your cat in the house to spare the birds in the garden. But that would be cruel on the cat. Best to just leave it be. By doing so, you know it is going to continue killing birds.
Now, what if instead of letting it outside, you bring a live bird inside, hold it down, let the cat attack it, and then film the whole thing for your whole entertainment.
(And no, I’ve never done this.)
Is that healthy behaviour for a human being?

I don’t mean to be po-faced here. Just throwing a few questions out there ...

Of course, there are several factors that affect our reactions to such thing - e.g., how large are the animals (x-axis), how cute and fluffy are they (y-axis) and how closely related to humans are they (z-axis)?

Not really the same. Most cats eat cat food without problem. Birds are not needed for their survival. Also, most cats adjust nicely to indoor living--- they don't NEED to go out to be happy or to survive. Specially designed toys can serve the purpose of stimulating a cat's predatory skills.
I believe, if cats NEEDED live prey to survive as pets--- there'd be alot LESS cats kept as pets.

Kalister1
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2008, 5:02 pm

I will eat you as prey :)

rexmas
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2008, 5:06 pm

adverb wrote:
Então? Eu tenho comido coelho. Eu também, apesar de não serem comidos vivos stuff coelho. É perfeitamente normal na minha família.

Jack, you is crazie, brotha!