Page 4 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2008, 9:22 am

whatamess wrote:
I know this is all seems to be in the very FAR future, however, if we look at history, we can see how government and corporations take control of each of us little by little...perfect example, smoking...obesity...

First insurance companies began charging more for benefits for smokers...all the non-smokers were in favor because of course, it didn't affect them...their claim was that "they" (non-smokers) paid more money for insurance because of smokers...then, it started with obesity...to this extent, my company started this "wellness credits" where if you did X, Y or Z, you got a discount on our insurance...after a couple of years of people praising it, now the company has decided to NOT offer ANY insurance to you UNLESS you have done X, Y or Z...wellness credits...Today we hear of the thousands of dollars that children with autism costs the school districts, the insurance companies, etc...and you don't think that at some point, just like the smokers, just like the obese, adults with autism and/or children with autism won't be forced into doing X, Y or Z or expect to pay more for insurance? or lose it all together unless you take X, Y or Z?

I think that the time will come...just like it came for smokers...just like it's here for obese people...the next fad will be autism...let's make sure we see it coming...and put a stop to it before it's here...

Insurance is a racket. It's like lending you an umbrella when it's sunny and then ask for it back when it starts raining. Insurance is all about trying to get as much money from people as possible and then when they need that money make up as many excuses as possible to deny them money. "Insurance" companies are not out to supply real, honest insurance, they, like all corporations are out to maximize profits.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2008, 9:25 am

I have nothing else to contribute to this thread, without running the OP over, like Bulgy would. I'll check back, to read what everybody else has to say.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2008, 9:33 am

Cheerlessleader wrote:
If they do find a cure, I hope they don't force it on all of us, regardless of whether we actually want to be cured or not. I hope they only leave it for those who do want to be cured (yes, some people do want to be cured, and we should respect them just as much as those who don't.)

They WILL force it on us, though indirectly, because society would rather not send taxpayer money to accommodate us if we can be "cured". It is the Tyranny of the Majority, the NT majority, their desire to not accommodate neurodiversity out of a NT-centric notion that accommodating differences is a useless "waste of taxpayer money," that we must fear most.

Kirov
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Feb 2008, 9:38 am

Odin wrote:
Cheerlessleader wrote:
If they do find a cure, I hope they don't force it on all of us, regardless of whether we actually want to be cured or not. I hope they only leave it for those who do want to be cured (yes, some people do want to be cured, and we should respect them just as much as those who don't.)

They WILL force it on us, though indirectly, because society would rather not send taxpayer money to accommodate us if we can be "cured". It is the Tyranny of the Majority, the NT majority, their desire to not accommodate neurodiversity out of a NT-centric notion that accommodating differences is a useless "waste of taxpayer money," that we must fear most.

Heh, not everybody's the definition of NT. Society? Meh, society is cowed and subservient. I still am not convinced however that cures will be forced on us. This isn't naivete; this is the realization that it would be too costly for this tyranny to deprive itself of people like us, and would soon regret it.

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2008, 10:47 am

When it comes to a so-called, "Cure" for those of us in the spectrum, I find this most unpleasant cause, I'm quite okay with being the way I am despite some of the troubles I may have on an emotional,social,mental level atleast, I'm kind and treat others in a highly-respected manner regardless therefore, if someone wants a cure go search one for things like Aids,Cancer,Diabetes thank you :x

ProfessorX