Measles, Mumps, And Rubella Vaccine Is Not Linked To Auti...

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 12:01 pm

Measles, Mumps, And Rubella Vaccine Is Not Linked To Autism Spectrum Disorders (Medical News Today)

The previously supposed link between autism the MMR jab, a vaccination against measles, mumps, and rubella, has been discredited, according to a study published in the Archives of Disease in Childhood on February 5, 2008. The MMR vaccine had been linked to the development of autism in the light of a 1998 publication, which has since been discredited by the scientific community.

Autism spectrum disorders are a set of psychological conditions that are similar to autism, characterized by abnormal social interaction, restricted interests, and repetitive behavior. They are found in approximately 6 to 12 cases per 1000 children depending on the specific diagnostic criteria that are applied.

The group studied was taken from a population of approximately 57,000 in one area of Southern England. Almost 250 children, born between 1990 and 1991 and aged between 10 and 12, were selected for examination. Of these: 98 children had an autism spectrum disorder; 52 were characterized as children with special educational needs, but no evidence of autism spectrum disorders; and 90 children were developing normally. A set-back or regression early in development had been experienced by some of the autistic children. All of the children in the sample had been administered the MMR vaccine, but not all had been given both doses.

more...

- Emerson

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 12:23 pm

Was there a control group?

"All of the children in the sample had been administered the MMR vaccine"

No. There was not. When I mentioned similar quality scientific studies showing autism treatments effective, I was told that it was junk science. Therefore, I quickly reject this study as junk science.

The only way to truly know whether there's an autism-vaccine connection is to compare autism rates in a vaccinated group versus an unvaccinated group. Now, why can't they do a valid study to test this hypothesis? Are they afraid there will be a connection?

mmaestro
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 12:59 pm

Zendell, did you actually read the article? No, of course you didn't. The facts would have interfered with your soapbox. Can't have those pesky facts get in the way of your fantasy!
Had you read the article, you would have discovered that the study was looking at whether there was a different level or expression of measles antibodies or mercury content in the blood of the autistic children as compared to the NT children. There wasn't. Given this is one of the big justifications for things like chelation, it's an interesting study - there's no difference in blood composition between children with autism and those without.
A sample of children who hadn't received MMR would only have been relevant had you been looking at rates of autism. But that had nothing to do with this study. It's irrelevant.

Music of the Moment: Radiohead - In Rainbows

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 4:29 pm

mmaestro wrote:
Zendell, did you actually read the article? No, of course you didn't. The facts would have interfered with your soapbox. Can't have those pesky facts get in the way of your fantasy!
Had you read the article, you would have discovered that the study was looking at whether there was a different level or expression of measles antibodies or mercury content in the blood of the autistic children as compared to the NT children. There wasn't. Given this is one of the big justifications for things like chelation, it's an interesting study - there's no difference in blood composition between children with autism and those without.
A sample of children who hadn't received MMR would only have been relevant had you been looking at rates of autism. But that had nothing to do with this study. It's irrelevant.

I read the article. Many people here mistakenly assume that because no correlation was found between one part of a vaccine that the vaccines are safe. It could easily have been something else in the vaccine. The ONLY way to show that vaccines don't cause autism is to have a control group of unvaccinated kids to see whether vaccinated kids are more likely to get autism when compared to unvaccinated kids.

AspieDave
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 8:48 pm

The control group was all being controlled by Big Pharma which is under the control of the greys and their anal probes (now available in the PARTY edition) who are all the puppets of the lizard men which is really just a cover for David Rockefeller and the Tri-Lateral Commission.... oh wait don't forget those little buggers from Mercury who didn't like us probing THEM so they shot us with their autism ray and made us all socially inept and smart and stuff....

oh and "no fur".

wait.. I LIKE fur.... my head hurts....

nory
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Feb 2008, 1:14 am

Isnt it partly that children with autistic tendencies react strongly to many things, and are much more stronly impacted or traumatized by things, both emotionally and physically, therefore a powerful vaccine will have powerful, shock effects on the sensitive system, even lifelong trauma or heightening of the autistic traits not so apparent before. Trauma of any kind often, brings out or heightens autistic symptoms. I think they did a study on Russian orphans who were subjected to much trauma and neglect and they had all the appearances of autism, it was a kind of temporary or superficial autism brought about by conditions. So it is the vaccines yes, and it isn't at the same time, mabye. The vaccines are safe for most, not safe for those with perhaps even undetectable traces of autism. Its not always apparant until a shock comes around to bring it out. I'm probobly confusing what I want to say, its late and I'm tired. Basically, I think the vaccines probobly do attribute kind of like eating too much of certain nuts causes a big allergic reaction in me (because I'm sensitive to foods) but the nuts themselves are somewhat ok for others.

Rjaye
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2008, 5:00 am

Actually this was a beautifully done study, well written and clear. Peer reviewers had the criticism that in the groups of autism spectrum disorders, the kids had not had the full complement of measles vaccines. This would have given more weight to MMR having anything to do with autism.

But there was no difference. Even with that caveat.

There have been some good studies on autism (University of Washington's study notwithstanding, which is disappointing given the reputation of UW) this year. I wish AutismDiva would write something on this, but go over to Science Blogs and see what the scientists are saying about it.

I find it amazing that people who have no concept of the scientific method think they can parse these articles.

Metta, Rjaye