Life Skills:Hints on finding the best deals! (Sticky please)

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2008, 11:17 am

There was a very interesting article in my newspaper, The Indianapolis Star, today. Basically the article talked about when you're able to find the best deals in stores. Since I know a lot of people here don't like stores (although I love shopping), I thought I'd share this article with you guys so you know when it's the best times to buy what you need (or want) at the stores. I'm not sure if this article is also talking about other countries besides the US or not, but I'm sure a lot of these would work out the same way. I'm typing this exactly as how it's printed in the article:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January

Houses and condos- Conventional wisdom is to buy during the warm months, but January and February can be a great time to find motivated sellers. "If someone has their house for sale during the winter months, it usually means there's a need there to sell," said Gary Swift, an agent with Century 21 Scheetz.
Winter clothing- After-holiday sales make this month prime time for bargains on sweaters, jackets, and the the like.
Toys- Post-holiday sales!
Bedding and linens- The original January "white sale" dates to 1878 when a Philadelphia department store owner deeply discounted his bedding linens, and the custom has held.
Indoor furniture- New furniture hits showrooms in February and August, so January and July are the best months to pick up old inventory at a discount.
Digital cameras- New models are announced in January, so the previous generation may be steeply discounted.

February

Bicycles- In February and March, bike sellers look to clear out last year's models, much like auto dealers do in the fall.
Swimwear- "Most stores will have carryover from the previous year and mark that down at the first of the season, in February or March," says Alan Gaby, manager at the Dick's Sporting Goods store at Traders Point.
Humidifiers- Buy 'em during the coldest time of the year: February, says Consumer Reports.
Sports gear and running shoes- In February and March, stores discount last year's shoes. Try to buy sports gear a couple of months before the season starts.
Houses and condos

March

Televisions- Because Japanese companies' fiscal year ends in March, that month and April can see some great finds.
Camping gear- Early- to mid-March, says Alan Gaby of Dick's Sporting Goods, when the camping season is just beginning.
Bicycles
Swimwear
Winter clothing- When the mercury starts rising again, look for deals on cold-weather clothes.
Sports gear and running shoes

April
Televisions

May
Not much going on here.

June
Ditto.

July
Computers- July or August, or right after a new model is launched. Buying slightly older technology can save giga-bucks.
Swimwear- As swimming season draws to a close in July and August, you'll find your best deals on tanks and bikinis.
Indoor furniture- With the year's second round of new furniture about to hit stores in August, July is a great time to find deals on older merchandise.

August
Lawn mowers and outdoor furniture- August, when stores start to make room for snow throwers.
Computers
Swimwear
Dehumidifiers- The same logic that sends humifiers on sale in February makes dehumidifiers cheap during the hottest time of the year, around August, says Consumer Reports.

September
Gas/charcoal grills- Fire up your credit card in September through November, when outdoor cooking heads toward hibernation.
Automobiles- Most new model years start in September, so that's when dealers are looking to clear their lots of the previous year's inventory. November and December also can be good, though pickings are slimmer.
Shrubs, trees, and perennials- September is when stores want to empty their garden sections, but there's still enough time to get plants established before the first freeze.
Digital cameras- A second round of new models come out this time of year, so the old stuff gets marked down.

October
Gas/charcoal grills
Winter clothing- Cold-weather gear goes back on sale when the weather's just starting to turn.

November
Automobiles
Televisions- They're a staple of pre- and post-Christmas sales, so plan to buy during the winter months (conveniently, the time you'll want to spend curled up on the couch in front of a flat-screen, anyway).
Toys- Another area where you can save just when you need to- in time for the holidays.

December
Air conditioners- This one's easy: Buy during winter when demand is low.
Automobiles
Televisions
Toys
Tuesdays- DVDs. New releases come out every Tuesday, and many stores offer discounts if you buy a movie on the first day it hits video.
Wednesday mornings- Airline tickets. According to Consumer Reports, that's when airlines try to fill unsold seats on flights for the following week to 10 days.
Holiday weekends- Appliances. This is when stores bring out their big sales. Even smaller holidays like Columbus Day and Presidents Day can be good times to buy, according to SmartMoney.com.

Reyairia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Feb 2008, 12:41 pm

Lightning88 wrote:
Since I know a lot of people here don't like stores (although I love shopping)

I'm fine with stores, unless they're crowded or they're completely empty as when they're empty the employees are always watching you or trying to interact with you. *shudder*

Anyway, advice is always nice, so thanks.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2008, 2:39 pm

Reyairia wrote:
Lightning88 wrote:
Since I know a lot of people here don't like stores (although I love shopping)

I'm fine with stores, unless they're crowded or they're completely empty as when they're empty the employees are always watching you or trying to interact with you. *shudder*

Anyway, advice is always nice, so thanks.

I'm actually very social (I'm NVLD rather than AS), and I actually get annoyed if the employees don't help me out! :lol: lol

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2008, 10:08 pm

I thought I might learn to walk and chew gum, but the digital camera information came in handy, and late summer fits with a couple of new computers.

I don't really chew gum, Life Skills just has many meanings.

The Olympus E-510 I have been watching seems to have dropped $200 in January, and they are pushing them hard.

preludeman
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2008, 11:12 pm

I've seen simular articles before, and they are true to a certain extent.

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2008, 3:12 am

If lightning88 was a shopaholic-superhero, this might be the kryptonite: www.consumercide.com

Only joking with you, thanks for providing us with the information. I might take up your suggestion and stock up on winter clothing during March. I'm supposedly visiting Vermont sometime this year, and could use some warm clothing for the colder climate, and perhaps camping and skiing gear.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2008, 9:01 am

Thanks for reading the article everyone! I have seen some of these to be very true with my mom and I. Last month, I got a pair of 400-thread count sheets (queen) for only $20. And last July, my mom got this nice new 1080P TV and did not save much on it (however, we did get a free digital camcorder with it :P ).

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2008, 9:33 am

Great topic!

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2008, 8:02 am

Thanks! 8)