For curebie hating, NT-bashing, holier than thou aspies

Page 6 of 6 [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

MissPickwickian
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2008, 7:49 pm

zendell wrote:
10. This may offend the NT-hating, holier than thou aspies. However, the anti-cure posts are just as offensive to those of us who want to recover and get better. Some of us would rather die than be autistic so it's really hurtful to oppose research and treatments for our symptoms.

OH EVERYBODY STOP BEING OFFENDED. Neither anti-cure posts nor pro-cure posts are offensive. It's called a "debate", and it's nothing to be afraid of.

AspieDave
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2008, 9:13 pm

MissPickwickian wrote:

Quote:
OH EVERYBODY STOP BEING OFFENDED. Neither anti-cure posts nor pro-cure posts are offensive. It's called a "debate", and it's nothing to be afraid of.

Awwww MAN!! !!

<snuffs out torch and hides pitchfork....>

Yes, Ma'am.... :cry:

But I try and get all my exercise by jumping to conclusions!! ! :batman:

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2008, 9:39 pm

natty,

I wish I knew. High, Low, Middle, what day of the week, and what subject.

My lacks, can't dance, and have nothing for music, can't draw, but do, and never seem to get any better. I do not remember faces, I avoid interacting with people other than when I am running an act, which I do well for a while.

My good points are I relate to machines. I relate to people by speaking on behalf of machines.

I see structures, systems, how things fit together. I have a great memory, but not for some ordinary tasks.

I got through life because I could fix things, and some of them were very expensive things. My dancing was with a VW bug, and after a day, it was worth $1000 more than I had in it. That was a month's pay for most.

When computers came along, they were just a machine to me. I saw what they could do, and went into digital printing. I publish books, and do fine art printing.

Machines network, and my relationship with other people is through machines, our networks connect.

I never did understand people. So I became a historian, Now I know all about them, and do not understand them, but I do write books.

Applied memory, machines, systems, and by the tests around here, Low Functioning Autistic. I have been called worse.

I am very well read. Talented in Science and Mechanics, and as I have such a limited range, I have a very high functional IQ in a few things. I am not a savant, I worked hard to learn, and learn, and learn, till I ran out of things to learn, then created new knowledge, and patented it.

That brought out a bigger wave of thieves than the ones who stole my tools many times. So I stopped patenting and hold the rest as secrets.

It does not take much to be a thief, so my books, printing, are much too complex to steal. People will steal the product of your labor, but never the labor part.

So now I live in isolation, connecting only with people for a purpose.

The web, and Wrong Planet, have given me a worldwide market, and a community.

I survive, and have a community.

I agree with your concept of pan autism. I see no differance across the spectrum. The traits we have in common over rule our differances, and do set us apart.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2008, 10:40 pm

I think that we could each decide for ourselves, whether we want a cure, or not.

KRIZDA88
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Feb 2008, 12:18 am

Genetics prolly plays a big role in it since I have a cousin with autism , a dad and sister with ADD, and a history of autistic disorders on my mom's side of the family. However, I also find the studies on the effects of multple vaccinations given to all infants in a very short period of time and how such a strain on the body of the child can cause, or at least worsen a child's autistic symtoms... some studies suggest that auties don't get rid of mercury from their systems as effectively as normal people or even aspies (aspies process mercury normally) and that the mercury content in the vaccines that is harmless to normal children builds up in the system of auties and can cause or worsen symptoms. I don't want a cure, simply because I have learned to cope with the difficulties that asperger's causes me and I enjoy the unique strengths that come with it. I just see it as being wired differently our brains and nervous systems just function differently than the majority of the population.

-Bigfoot IS blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer?s
fault. He's a large, out-of-focus monster, and that's extra scary to me.

-If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to see it, do the other trees make fun of it?

TLPG
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2008, 6:20 am

MissPickwickian wrote:
zendell wrote:
10. This may offend the NT-hating, holier than thou aspies. However, the anti-cure posts are just as offensive to those of us who want to recover and get better. Some of us would rather die than be autistic so it's really hurtful to oppose research and treatments for our symptoms.

I take it you haven't been called "brain damaged" then? There is plenty of offense in talk of a "cure". Just as much as there is talking about fiddling with human DNA to create things like designer babies and worse still clones.

And Cockney - there are people around who WILL force a cure on us, or at the very least push the point very hard.

Zendell, the problem with DAN! doctors is that they are promoting a CURE. It creates false hope because as Beau rightly points out, it doesn't make anyone less Autistic. Their treatment does NOT cure, and it only improves some - because they have extra issues that (by themselves) have nothing to do with the Spectrum.

MissPickwickian
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2008, 10:10 am

TLPG wrote:
MissPickwickian wrote:
zendell wrote:

I take it you haven't been called "brain damaged" then? There is plenty of offense in talk of a "cure". Just as much as there is talking about fiddling with human DNA to create things like designer babies and worse still clones.

And Cockney - there are people around who WILL force a cure on us, or at the very least push the point very hard.

Zendell, the problem with DAN! doctors is that they are promoting a CURE. It creates false hope because as Beau rightly points out, it doesn't make anyone less Autistic. Their treatment does NOT cure, and it only improves some - because they have extra issues that (by themselves) have nothing to do with the Spectrum.

You're right. "Yes to cure" and "no to cure" are not intrinsically offensive statements, but namecalling is rarely okay.