what's the best way I could support a parent of an AS child?

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

morning_after
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2008, 1:50 pm

oblekis wrote:
morning_after wrote:
Well, good for you.

You say you were picked. Do you believe in God?

Well, I was raised is a semi religious family. We went to church every sunday till I was 16 (Im the youngest of 3). A few years later, we found out that at our church the pastor was abusing alot of boys. Ever since then, I have not gone back to church. Do I believe in God, yes...but I dont go to church. I pray for others, and strength for myself. But I dont preach my beliefs to anybody.

Well, good for you, then.

I was a part of a street ministry. I think now that the experience was very valuable, but would be a little careful about doing it again.

oblekis
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Feb 2008, 1:55 pm

morning_after wrote:
oblekis wrote:
morning_after wrote:
Well, good for you.

Well, I was raised is a semi religious family. We went to church every sunday till I was 16 (Im the youngest of 3). A few years later, we found out that at our church the pastor was abusing alot of boys. Ever since then, I have not gone back to church. Do I believe in God, yes...but I dont go to church. I pray for others, and strength for myself. But I dont preach my beliefs to anybody.

I was a part of a street ministry. I think now that the experience was very valuable, but would be a little careful about doing it again.

What is a street ministry?

morning_after
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2008, 5:40 pm

oblekis wrote:
morning_after wrote:
oblekis wrote:
morning_after wrote:
Well, good for you.

What is a street ministry?

Those are groups for people to go out onto street corners to talk to random strangers about Jesus.

oblekis

10 Feb 2008, 7:31 pm

Oh, I got ya. Actually I have met some street ministers before. They were the kindest people, obviously loved what they were doing. I have a hard time talking about my beliefs with anybody, Im not really sure why...but I just get uncomfortable. I have the same problem with politics. I guess its because those two subjects are very personal opinions and the conversation can get out of hand quickly. Im not one to debate!! Never like to argue about anything!!

If you do decide to do it again one day, just be careful. :)

morning_after
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2008, 7:36 pm

oblekis wrote:
Oh, I got ya. Actually I have met some street ministers before. They were the kindest people, obviously loved what they were doing. I have a hard time talking about my beliefs with anybody, Im not really sure why...but I just get uncomfortable. I have the same problem with politics. I guess its because those two subjects are very personal opinions and the conversation can get out of hand quickly. Im not one to debate!! Never like to argue about anything!!

If you do decide to do it again one day, just be careful. :)

I doubt I will. It gets pretty hairy.

Then again, I doubted I would ever post on the internet again after my last board.

EvilTeach
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Feb 2008, 1:40 pm

The baby sitting thing is good. Parents need mental maintenance too.

Putting an aspy kid into a NT family environment is a good thing too. Aspy families tend to degrade? miagrate? to a state,
where everything that they do, kind of centers around the aspy kid. That is aspy family life.

Putting a aspy kid into controlled NT situations provides opportunities to learn

For aspy parents, having a neighbor, who is uncritical, and willing to help, is a pearl without price.

morning_after
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2008, 5:30 pm

EvilTeach wrote:
The baby sitting thing is good. Parents need mental maintenance too.

Putting an aspy kid into a NT family environment is a good thing too. Aspy families tend to degrade? miagrate? to a state,
where everything that they do, kind of centers around the aspy kid. That is aspy family life.

Putting a aspy kid into controlled NT situations provides opportunities to learn

For aspy parents, having a neighbor, who is uncritical, and willing to help, is a pearl without price.

I agree, but I don't think changing thier families is the answer

EvilTeach
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Feb 2008, 2:02 pm

I'm not suggesting the family change.

I am suggesting that putting the aspy into the environment of an NT family is a good thing in that it provides
opportunities to (see how the other half lives) (see how other families function) (see what expectations family members have for each other) (see how other people deal with issues)

If you can provide a supportave environment that helps broaden the aspys experiences, and viewpoints,
it may be a good thing.

morning_after
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2008, 4:53 pm

EvilTeach wrote:
I'm not suggesting the family change.

I am suggesting that putting the aspy into the environment of an NT family is a good thing in that it provides
opportunities to (see how the other half lives) (see how other families function) (see what expectations family members have for each other) (see how other people deal with issues)

If you can provide a supportave environment that helps broaden the aspys experiences, and viewpoints,
it may be a good thing.

I think I see what you mean now.