Page 3 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

coded
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jan 2006, 6:57 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
How can you be wholly devoid of emotion? Emotions guide people's behavior.

Yeah, I didn't feel like "me" but from talking with other people that seems to be mostly what the antidepressants do. I read where other people were experiencing a similar suppression of emotions. I probably had a stronger suppression than most people because it basically completely eliminated every single emotion in me but I didn't think of it as too unusual.

NeantHumain wrote:
You must be especially sensitive to medications because Lexapro and any other medications I've been on haven't had any of those effects. You said Lexapro caused you to have weird dreams; I almost never dream.

Yes, I'm not sure why. I generally never take medications of any sort. I don't drink caffeine, alcohol, eat refined sugar, or processed foods very much either so I'm fairly drug free. Drugs tend to have a much stronger effect on me than most people. I get a slight buzz from taking a single aspirin. :)

The Lexapro dreams were driving me insane. Just that effect alone is enough to make the not want to take it any more.

Incidently, after stopping the Lexapro I'm getting sharp stabbing pains in my intestinal area. The pain is so sharp and quick that it actually makes me jump. I hate this stuff.

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2006, 7:31 pm

Credentials: BS in Nursing, Registed Nurse, Public Health Nurse, for 10 years working in acute psych emergency, trauma, drug rehab, dual-diagnosed teenagers and MOST signicantly, worked as a clinical research coordinator for a large county hospital running over 30 clinical drug trials for HIV meds. I worked with the FDA, very astute doctors, drug reps and pharmaceutical professionals for years on a daily basis, therefore I have experience that some of you may not have. My passion is to continue to do medical clinical research, specifically on aspies and how we respond differently to medications. I am in the process of applying for a graduate program as we speak. And I believe that aspies DO respond differently to medications, and that psychiatrists don't yet know how because no research has been done on it. I intend to be part of that research.

I believe in medical marijuana, and spent a lot of public money trying to establish a study to allow it to be researched at my institution with no success. I believe that there are a number of substances that need to be researched for aspies, including MDMA, aka Ecstasy. I know for a fact how thorough the FDA is in terms of the years and the process to get a drug to market. The Vioxx case is NOT an instance of any conspiracy or corruption, rather it is a case of sometimes certain adverse effects and/or concurrent effects may take some time to show up. One of the reasons meds are so expensive is because of the years and years of research that must be done in order for the FDA to approve it. As far as I'm concerned, with all the corruption across our nation right now, I would totally trust the CDC AND the FDA.

Yes, there are some psychiatrists that are better than others. I've yet to find a good one myself. And every single medication, including tylenol and benadryl, has side effects that could be considered poisonous. Tylenol, aspirin and motrin can all kill you. I once gave pint after pint of blood to someone who took a standard dose of motrin every day, but he developed severe internal bleeding. He didn't make it. So to call psychotropics "poisonous" is ridiculous. By the way, please remember how many lives Lithium has saved since it was discovered decades ago. And lithium is listed right on the periodic table of the elements.

Hermit is right about the points I was trying to make. There are people out there, and ON THIS BOARD, who would not be here today if it were not for the fact that we have a pharmaceutical industry and psychiatrists, even if it's not perfect. If you want to go holistic, and you're not as screwed up as some of the rest of us, well of course that's up to you, but don't try to tell everybody else that all doctors suck and the pharmaceutical industry is just in it for the money, because that's just not true.