Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Riddick124
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2008, 11:13 am

I have surfed the net and found that there are many schools just for people with ADD/ADHD, aspergers, ect, and these sound very nice, somewhere I can meet other aspies, fit in, and be understood. Does anyone know of a good one? I live in upstate NY, so I would like it to be somewhat close to here, so I do not need to go cross-country just to get there and back. A state or 2 away would probably be fine, but I do not want expensive, long plane trips to get there and back. I would also like to know whether you are allowed computer access at such places, because I am addicted to the internet, and this site really helps me out. And lastly, I would like the opinion of anyone who has ever been to any school such as this, whether they are actually all they say they are. Oh, and about how expensive are they, generally?

Last edited by Riddick124 on 08 Feb 2008, 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

whatamess
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2008, 11:34 am

My son was in a Sudbury school once...It didn't work out, but not because of the Sudbury philosophy, but because the people where we live are very competitive, etc...and NOT really with a Sudbury mentality, although they claim to be.

I know there are many of them in the US, but not sure if there is boarding, etc...You might want to check...sudval.org...I truly believe that system of learning is a wonderful match for people like my son and myself...

ed
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2008, 11:35 am

There are several of them these days... one in Connecticut, I think... other members will post about them, for sure.

I wish they'd had such schools when I was a kid! :D

One word of caution... DO NOT listen to the crap put out by the JUDGE ROTENBERG CENTER... this "school" tortures its students by using electric shocks as a punishment for just about anything. Honest. A lot of people are working to close this abomination.

Riddick124
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2008, 11:50 am

I have looked around some, and so far I am leaning toward Franklin Acadamy. It has boarding, which I will need, seeing as how it is so far from home. While still being expensive, it is also the most affordable I have seen so far, and still looks nice. Anyone know anything about this place?

zghost
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2008, 12:31 pm

Well, I was put in private school, which I hated, but it was mainstream private school so I guess that's not relevant to you.
Yes the US public school system sucks, but easy to get lost in. Since I hate having attention on me, I much prefered it. Also, since there's all kinds of people there (and not just snobby rich kids), my "strangeness" was more acceptable.

(No offense to people in private school, that was just my take on it. I'm sure you're not all like that.)

I didn't even know there are aspie schools.

Riddick124
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2008, 1:25 pm

Well, my life in US public school is pretty bad atm, so I would prefer almost anything to this. This aspie private school sounds really great to me, just want someone else's opinion before I start begging my dad to let me go there. :lol:

Last edited by Riddick124 on 08 Feb 2008, 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quirky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Feb 2008, 1:33 pm

whatamess wrote:
My son was in a Sudbury school once...It didn't work out, but not because of the Sudbury philosophy, but because the people where we live are very competitive, etc...and NOT really with a Sudbury mentality, although they claim to be.

I know there are many of them in the US, but not sure if there is boarding, etc...You might want to check...sudval.org...I truly believe that system of learning is a wonderful match for people like my son and myself...

Sudbury MA? I know an autistic boy who went there. IMO, the school is helpful, but a huge rip off unless your kid is extremely high functioning. They charge you a ton of money promising a near-cure, and then it doesn't work. I don't think the benefits are proportional to the cost. The boy now goes to Sudbury public schools with an aide and does well, but he's not in regular classes.

scumsuckingdouchebag
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2008, 1:59 pm

Things got a lot better when I transferred from the public school system to the private school system during high school. Students didn't pick on me anymore and aside from when I first moved there(a few students initially tried to provoke anger in me but became likable afterwards), they generally left me alone(just a few isolated incidences of people startling me when they'd try to touch my hair). I was still an outcast(partially by my own choice and partially because I didn't realize at the time some students were trying to be friends with me and I was unaware of it), but not a hated outcast.

Public school was evil.

Zsazsa
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2008, 2:05 pm

The Kelberman Center for Autism is in Central New York State and provides many services to kids with Autism and Asperger's
Syndrome. They have a school called, "Tradewinds" and other programs you can find on their website...just Google...KELBERMAN CENTER FOR AUTISM and it should appear on your computer screen. They can provide you with much
information.

If you don't want to attend a private school for Autism and Asperger's Syndrome, why not look into a private boarding school
like Phillips Academy in Exeter, New Hampshire or any of the schools in Connecticut or Massachusetts?

Good luck!

RampionRampage
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2008, 2:21 pm

Riddick124 wrote:
I have looked around some, and so far I am leaning toward Franklin Acadamy. It has boarding, which I will need, seeing as how it is so far from home. While still being expensive, it is also the most affordable I have seen so far, and still looks nice. Anyone know anything about this place?

is there a reason why the school district wouldn't pay, if you've been diagnosed & have an iep?

Riddick124
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2008, 3:35 pm

Really? I didn't know you could get the district to pay, I just know I want to get away from my school and to one of these aspie-only schools. If the district would pay, that would be great. it is in Connicticut, though, if that is a problem.