Lonely people more likely to believe in God

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2008, 7:51 pm

People who feel lonely are more likely to believe in the supernatural, whether that is God, angels or miracles, a new study finds.

Humans have evolved as social creatures, so loneliness cuts to the quick. Living in groups was critical to the survival and safety of our ancient ancestors, and "complete isolation or ostracism has been tantamount to a death sentence," said University of Chicago researcher Nicholas Epley, who led the study.

While group living isn't critical to survival in the modern world, feeling socially connected is. Feeling isolated and lonely is a very painful emotional state for people, Epley said, and can lead to ill health, both physically and mentally.

read more :
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22825468/

merr
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2008, 7:57 pm

I've always thought (and have seen) that lonely people are often more skeptical/cynical of the world. The ones I've met are tend to be either agnostic or athiest.

OregonBecky
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2008, 11:23 pm

They can have more hope in a fantasy world. Hope is what keeps people from not giving up so if you need hope but can't find enough hope in reality, it's handy to make it up.

matrix
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2008, 12:13 am

Many isolated people form great religions. Muhammad was in a cave. John of Revelation was isolated and tortured. Joseph Smith was a prarie-dweller. However, as John found a revelation, folks like Holocaust victim Elie Wiesel became an atheist.

z0rp
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2008, 12:16 am

Well I'm a lonely person and I'm an Atheist. :roll:

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2008, 12:23 am

z0rp wrote:
Well I'm a lonely person and I'm an Atheist. :roll:

Yeah, they must have missed me too.
I'm not an Atheist, but I don't subscribe to any church or formal religion and I've been this way all my life... and yes, I'm lonely right now. :( :wink:

OregonBecky
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2008, 12:26 am

Well, you two aren't lonely enough. Keep working on it until God starts talking to you. I think that's how it works.

I have good talks with rocks, trees, bugs-- whatever is handy. Insanity keeps me from being lonely.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2008, 3:06 am

That's news to me. I became agnostic 'cause of it and other things.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2008, 10:06 am

I think that study doesn't really apply to Aspies. :roll: It's more the other way round.

egodeus59
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Feb 2008, 12:30 pm

Heh I must be really lonely I don't just believe in god, I believe I am a god, of my room. :roll:

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

09 Feb 2008, 12:41 pm

im not suprised at all. i dont know how anyone can believe that fairy tale to begin with

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2008, 6:41 pm

matrix wrote:
Joseph Smith was a prarie-dweller. .

"Prairie dweller?" He was from New York.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2008, 2:15 pm

matrix wrote:
Many isolated people form great religions. Muhammad was in a cave. John of Revelation was isolated and tortured. Joseph Smith was a prarie-dweller. However, as John found a revelation, folks like Holocaust victim Elie Wiesel became an atheist.

1830 Joseph Smith and five others organized the Mormon church in Seneca County, New York. they moved to Missouri but soon got rousted out by the locals and then moved to 'a land no one else would want' and far from the prairies, established his flock in the Salt Lake basin.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2008, 3:24 pm

I see were you're going. However I always felt that having a higher being doesn't actually make me feel less lonely. However I've long suspected it was the case with a lot of people.

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2008, 4:11 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
People who feel lonely are more likely to believe in the supernatural, whether that is God, angels or miracles, a new study finds.

Humans have evolved as social creatures, so loneliness cuts to the quick. Living in groups was critical to the survival and safety of our ancient ancestors, and "complete isolation or ostracism has been tantamount to a death sentence," said University of Chicago researcher Nicholas Epley, who led the study.

While group living isn't critical to survival in the modern world, feeling socially connected is. Feeling isolated and lonely is a very painful emotional state for people, Epley said, and can lead to ill health, both physically and mentally.

I don't disagree with the statements about being lonely/feeling isolated. Am not qualified to judge how accurate the conclusions (correlation with religion) are for humanity overall-I'm merely one person.
However, in my case (and others here have commented to this effect with respect to themselves) I've been lonely at many points in my life (for years, at times)-but have never had any belief in religion or there being an "other". Perhaps it was easier to talk to my furniture (just an example of animating my environment with element of fantasy) than to buy into a pre-existing belief system (featuring a "god" type of entity), as way to entertain & accompany myself. I happen to dislike (have no appetitie for) idea of what others call "god".
I believe in my cat-she's tangible, keeps me company, and makes my world feel alive.