Autism Speaks to Promote Autism Awareness with Teletubbies

Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Riddick124
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2008, 8:58 pm

I don't like it, it feels to me like we are being compared to the teletubbies, I dunno why. :?

Soopervilin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Feb 2008, 9:10 pm

I've always been a little wary of teletubbies, since I once heard one of the little talking plush toys (I think it was the red one) saying something that I probably shouldn't repeat here. In rapid succession, it repeated three times a derogatory word used in describing homosexuals...or english cigarettes. It said other things that were unintelligible, but that particular phrase was loud and clear.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2008, 10:22 pm

Well, Soop, the little red one speaks Mandarin, so I doubt it was saying what you thought it was saying...

My daughter is autistic, and she won't watch Teletubbies. On the other hand, she's addicted to Yo Gabba Gabba!, and seems quite taken with Nick Jr's new entry, Ni Hao Kai-Lan. (She also likes to watch Pinky and the Brain with me, for what it's worth.) :)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2008, 10:45 pm

I love Teletubbies. I also hate Autism Speaks.

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2008, 12:33 am

The Teletubbies were instrumental in helping my son learn to speak, use two-word sentences and to request and give affection. We watched them on tv and mostly watched the tapes. We exercised with them and danced. The Teletubbies represent 4 distinct gender models that kids can identify with. The effeminate boy (TinkyWinky), the tomboy (Po), the macho boy (Dipsy) and the feminine girl (Lala). Although they are intended for the toddler audience, autistic kids tend to watch them longer (in the manner of hanging on to interests meant for younger kids). So, it's not just watching stuff but using it like a lesson. The Teletubbies' plotlines are very simple and easy to understand. The mid-episode videos show kids doing whatever kids do (collecting eggs, taking photos, dancing, decorating, going to classes) and it repeats.

They reported that they were getting a lot of anecdotal feedback from parents of autistic kids that they were helped by the Teletubbies. I don't know if any testing was done and if anything was verified.

That said, I'm sorry they are partnering up with Autism Speaks. Kind of like how I felt when Baby Einstein was sold to Disney. :(

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2008, 7:44 am

Time to stick a grenade up Tinky-Winky's jacksie, methinks.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2008, 1:27 am

or maybe inside the purse that one of them carries.

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2008, 3:54 pm

Well, I doubt autism speaks can do much with teletubbies, seeing as everyone over 4 hates the tubbie's guts.

But now that you mention it, i have always wanted an excuse to go Teletubbie hunting... :twisted:

*grabs shotgun* OPEN SEASON! LET'S BLOW SOME TUBBY HEADS OFF!! ! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2008, 7:43 pm

Is Autism Speaks pulling some sort of sick joke?

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2008, 8:33 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:

"Tubby toast!"

joejohn
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Feb 2008, 4:12 am

Autism Speaks has a very questionable ethics and way to promote awareness for autism. They also seem to emphasize children and not people who have it.

Teletubbies maybe alright for kids but will never be a good to promote awareness. I think sometimes its better if they find a way on their great NBC corporate board to find one NBC show to promote it and show an autistic person in a lavish lifestyle.

DocStrange
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2008, 4:45 am

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:

That's their job

All they could get were the Teletubbies? What is this 1999? What's their other spokesman? Speedy Buggy? You can't promote autism awareness to parents of young children by using charecters today's children are unaware of (I didn't even know that show was still on! I never watched PBS' children's shows when I was little. Even when I was young i'd watch Monty Python and whatever Tom Baker or McCoy era Doctor Who my PBS affiliate had on)

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2008, 5:10 am

There's a gay Teletubby already, Tinky Winky. Which telletubby will be autistic? Oooh, I'm placing my bets on La La.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

17 Feb 2008, 5:32 pm

like autism speaks couldnt get any wierder? :x :lol: :(

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2008, 8:27 pm

so the Teletubbies are gay...and autistic?...;)

TrueDave
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 2:00 pm

Aspergers is going to be used as a gimmick to target a special intrest group for merchandising?

Whatever .

How can you hate the Teletubbies guts? They have Tvs for guts we ALL love the tv! :?

Screw the Tubbies . I just want to kill Elmo. just because hes a corporate whore.

I definately agree that having an Asperger Teletubby is not going to increase anyone heres "cool" factor.