Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

paolo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2008, 5:22 pm

This little dog I have most of the time (but she is not mine, if ownership is a category to be applied to living creatures): I have been accustomed for almost a year to her presence, demands (food, water, walks, caresses) and her affection. When the real owner (same as above) takes her away (like today), I miss her ferociously. When I lie on my bed she comes near to be taken up (she is too tiny to leap by herself on the bed). The are so many things I have to do for her, there are so many reciprocal understandings between us that her absence really upsets my daily life. In the limited but essential range of commerce between us there is absolute sincerity, as is proven by the fact that when I have to go out without her for a short time she is in utter despair, and when I come back she is in a mad explosion of feasting.

What was the relationship between slaves and their owners? Certainly more contractual and insincere. s**t! Here I try to adapt the post to the forum: the only real thing is my missing the little dog like an addict missing the dose.

I take note that the automatic epurator also decapitalazes the word s**t.

Paula
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2008, 5:37 pm

Slaves were forced to obey or else. They weren't loved they weren't treasured, they were property only. I hope the actual owner of this little dog, gives the dog to you.

paolo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2008, 7:12 pm

The situation of slaves has always been very differentiated according to times and places. Some of them, in ancient Rome, in the Roman empire an in Islam lived inside families, and were freed after some time. Compared to the other ancient peoples in the Mediterranean area, the Romans were extremely liberal in freeing slaves and granting Roman citizenships. In fact, freedmen (liberti) formed about 5% of the population in Rome during the Imperial Age of Rome. In the Southern states of North America, on the contrary, slaves were treated generally in a brutal way, while in the Catholic Spanish colonies they were somehow protected by the Church. Intermarriage was allowed as is proven by the mixed nature of the populations in Brazil, Cuba etc.

But animals? I often have observed goats treated affectionately by old women and children of a farm, while males would take charge of slaughtering them at some time. Having been a child in a little farm for one year I have seen these things, with my horror and despair.

But the little dog? In the last year she has entered massively in my life, staying with me most of the time, but I don’t see a clear cut solution in the immediate future.

Later: little dog is back and I must admit that I made a fuss out of proportion.
Being in the spectrum doesn't mean being mad. But is it not the spectrum producing madness sometimes?

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2008, 8:00 pm

there is an expression "barking mad".

glad you got your dog visit.