Being The Class Clown or Office Clown and Aspergers

Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2008, 10:40 am

Lots of people who have problems in school of one kind or another turn into the class clown because they figure it's better to be thought to be a goof-off than to be thought stupid. I'm sure that could apply to social stuff too.

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2008, 11:12 am

lovebat wrote:
I'm a clown because I'm so socially awkward and I'd rather be using it to make people laugh than make them uncomfortable. I do stand-up and I seem to be at least mildly amusing. I can't write material worth a damn, but I've been told I have great timing. I've opened at some relatively well-known clubs like The Hollywood Improv, or the Comedy Store on Sunset (that place is so creepy, its like a haunted 13th century dungeon :skull: ), plus a couple Seattle clubs 8) . Mostly I just go to open mikes and the occasional coffee shop. I enjoy it at least, plus its a good self-esteem boost for me. I would encourage you guys to try it. It makes me hate people less when I'm making them laugh.

That's great. I want to try stand up. I love comedy, and if I bothered to write down the creative witty things I think of in a day I would have a fair amount of material. Don't know if I have comedic timing, but I think I can learn that actually.

Do most major cities have open mic night places?

Wanting more than what I have might appear as greed.

Riddick124
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2008, 11:14 am

I used to be the class clown without knowing it, then another kid moved here who is also aspie, I studied how he behaved, noted what behaviors got him picked on by others, and tried to stop doing those. Kids used to pick on me a little before this, but not much, simply because I was one of the biggest kids in my grade. 8)

TrueDave
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2008, 11:17 am

Before I was diagnosed i thought I was just ACTING goofy. :?

Keoren
Toucan
Toucan

11 Feb 2008, 11:41 am

I'm quick at noticing humour in things so it's my natural way of socializing. The result is that I indeed end up as a clown, a clown that people either love, hate or love to hate, but it's fine as otherwise I'd be socially paralyzed.

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2008, 11:59 am

I was always the class clown also. The other kids thought I was strange... but I was funny, so in ways I was accepted because of that I think. Maybe not accepted, but I didn't get teased as often.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

11 Feb 2008, 12:17 pm

on purpose? no. accidentail? maybe. i can remember when i worked at the mall i was made fun of and called waldo, and im shure it was all accidentail

scumsuckingdouchebag
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2008, 1:29 pm

Quote:
i think some AS people adopt personas in the world and it is helpful to them.

Normal people do that too.

The 'personas' I adopted were usually meant as a joke, or as a way to keep people away from me, but also became a way to get attention after about 18 years of age. I was bullied enough in middle school and high school to see a reason to do this. Before I was a 'clown', I was still annoying to people without even realizing it.

I don't try to be a clown anymore, and I still annoy people without realizing it until it is pointed out to me.

Some of it was unintentional/accidental, and some of it was just plain old bad behavior.

i_Am_andaJoy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 Feb 2008, 3:01 pm

my brother told my mom in a very serious voice that he really wanted to be the class clown and he was keeping track of what his classmates laughed at, and he thought he had this class-clown thing figured out.

tybald
Raven
Raven

11 Feb 2008, 5:27 pm

Hmmmmm... Wasn't the class clown - was too unfunny and too busy getting picked on most of the time. However, I now use humour as a way of keeping people at a distance as I'm so damn stuck for anything to say that won't make me look like a tool. I'd rather be laughed at and thought of as a jackass when its just a persona I'm putting out there rather than the 'real' me. Basically its a social survival skill.

Icarus_Falling
everyman antihero
everyman antihero

11 Feb 2008, 5:54 pm

I obstinately refuse to call myself a clown. I may have clown issues.

That said, I take great joy in making people laugh. I'm naturally good at it, and do it often online and in person. It's not really a try thing; I just be me and people laugh; I like that; I also like that it is an exercise of wit.

This is a later life development, extending into modern day; I was more sad than funny in school, and hardly spoke to anyone at all ever in college. I can be terribly crass and blunt though, and I am definitely not politically correct; consequently, I am not for the faint of heart.

I know not how it all relates to Aspergers. I do believe in Aspie humor though, and rather like it.

Good fortune,

- Icarus taught Yorik everything he knew...

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2008, 8:40 pm

I was sorta the class clown...I was the "rugged individualist" of my class. Alot of this was brought about by my right-brained wackyness and hyperactivity (am an ADDer)...though i often made a fool of myself and inevitably really alienated myself more than anything else when it came down to it.

I was oblivious, of course as to how obnoxious I actually was. Then again, I sorta also blazed a trail for "outside-the-box" thinking among my peers to a certain extent.

And the reason I did it sorta had to do with making the class bearable to me.

I was also the office clown...or really "office weirdo" when I worked in an office.

Somebody's gotta do it.

AspieDave
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2008, 9:30 pm

In some schools I was a clown, in others a brain, once school I was a bully, I have no idea where that one came form except I was horribly manic at that point. I can recall picking on people but it was like my blood was fizzing, and I was SOOOO happy... it felt like I was playing with them, and expected them to play back. I got very confused when they didn't. My dad was a minister and we moved every 1-2 years while I was growing up. Every new school I went into was a fresh start and I had a new persona in every one it seemed like. The older I got though the more often it was clown, because I was over 6 feet tall at 13 and one of the biggest guys in almost every class after that. Big enough that other guys wanted to pick fights with me to show they were "tough". Since I hated fighting it wasn't exactly proving anything but they didn't know that. Top that off with me knowing very well if I cut LOOSE on somebody, when I was really REALLY angry and they were going to get hurt. It only happened a couple of times and the other kid ALWAYS ended up seeing a doctor... I hated that, so I learned to make people laugh. I found out early that if they were laughing they usually weren't hitting.

I still to that at work, and as Fretion can tell you, I make TRULY horrendous puns sometimes... Today I got to work and people started telling me my obituary was in the paper over the weekend. I pulled up the online version and a guy with my first and last name, different initial had died. I printed it, taped it on my office window below my nameplate... later in the day I made a sign that said "WARNING Please Do Not Feed The Dead Guy" and put that up beside the obit. Inside I was having a horrible day though, not my best time. I was aching all over, from arthritis, it's frigid cold here and I spent time outside over the weekend working on my wife's car in subzero windchills. I'm swamped at work and my assistant was being excessively NT emo today. IM'ing back and forth with Fretion he commented that I was being very morbid today and asked if it was because of the obituary, and I told him the truth, "No, actually that was kind of the high point of my day....". Yes I make people laugh a lot, and yes it's usually intentional. Doesn't mean I feel it inside.

Zzzzeta
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Feb 2008, 2:31 am

Silver_Meteor wrote:
Do you think that someone being the class clown in school or the office clown at work is an indication that person might have Asperger's?

I was a class clown, but I'm quite high functioning.

KristaMeth
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2008, 3:07 am

i_Am_andaJoy wrote:
i have heard people on here say they can be briefly funny and likeable in public but it is exhausting for them

Exactly. I did that when I switched schools once. It was kind of my mission when I got there. I decided that I was not going to be treated like crap or hated, or thought of as a weirdo. I put my best foot forward and jammed it in the door when they tried to shut it on me... things ended up turning out really well. All the hicks were really freaked out by the blue haired girl at first, but ended up thinking I was smart, funny, fun to be around. I thought I didn't want to be a weirdo but I ended up being the lovable weirdo. I made good acquaintances with everyone from geeks to cheerleaders. Keeping it up every day, though= horribly exhausting. Sometimes I just wanted to be able to keep quiet without people thinking there was something wrong.

But yeah, as someone else said... being a class clown probably doesn't indicate AS, but someone with AS could be a class clown and vice versa.

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2008, 4:21 pm

Pugly wrote:
I think my natural personality is to be a class clown. I like being irrelevant, and not having a care towards assumed authority. I especially like it, when it's know by both me and the supervisor that they really don't have any real power... then I play around with the expectations and the attitude I'm supposed to have. I'm not offensive, I just treat them more like equals...

For example in High School band class, I was being explained something I think I already knew... or shown something by the band teacher. He was being fairly authoratative... and he was fairly arrogant and dictator-ish... so I said "anything you say chief" and saluted him. I was a loser nobody in band class, so he didn't really make a big deal out of it... except roll his eyes and furrow his brow. But it got quite the chuckle out my fellow students.

This is contrasted by my flip side of being extremely paranoid and neurotic about how I'm acting around others... and trying not to offend or give off the wrong impression. Especially around people I don't know.

I think I improved moral at my old job. Although my fellow employees liked making fun of me, they also liked my antics and weird of way of saying and doing things. The big social problem I have is just not knowing how much I affect people around me. I assume I don't get noticed or am not liked, when that really isn't the case.

I don't think it's a sign of me having AS though. Because when my AS symptoms are at their worst, when I feel really overwhelmed... I don't act like a clown at all. And it's very easy for me to go into my shell... and not really talk to anyone.

Are you me?

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"