Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

russian
Raven
Raven

12 Feb 2008, 1:03 am

-First of all I'm aspie so I offend people ALL THE TIME. I'm sorry, I won't mention Jews or Nazi, Black, Gay, or Fury People in this thread...
-With that aside, I'm really confused. I thought, growing up, that I was different from OTHER people. They needed their popular culture, they needed to rebel and be cool, they needed to whine "no one understands me" and dress in angsty fashion imported from third world sweat shops. For various reasons I didn't discover the interet until I was almost 16 years old, and was not an avid user until University. In other words, like a New Guiena Tribesman, my knowledge of other people, espciallt thought process, was VERY low.
-What I'm trying to say is WHERE did all these aspies come from, the ones who are in the 14-17 range. Sure they WERE diagnosed with Aspergers, and I'm no expert, or even a layman. But what I don't understand is how the forum...wrongplanet...is in many ways so similar to all other forums. The young people all like anime, they all have avatars, and a handful type in L33t. They all whine about the same things as OTHER people their age. I don't understand them at all, as us Aspies were are only a few years older then them had to suffer abuses at the hands of the system, our parents, and countless other things before getting to the point where we either developed a sound defense mechanism, or failed and became druggies, suicidal, or in jail/ priate care homes.
-In other words I don't understand this NT hate. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS NEURO_TYPICAL they are the BELLCURVE and we are the DEVIATION, and as such aspies are deviants who do not, can not, and should not FIT into society. The name of the forum suggests this...WE are on the WRONG planet, not the NT's.
-I know this looks like a lot of rants, and as I can't flex my brain to emulate other's thought process I'm rather stuck with how to clarify the matter. But in a nutshell.
-Young aspies kids confuse me by their desire to be 'just like everyone else' WHILE shouting "I'm different." I've always been diferent, and it has been VERY little fun...

Last edited by russian on 12 Feb 2008, 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aridarr
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2008, 1:28 am

russian wrote:
Young aspies kids confuse me by their desire to be 'just like everyone else' WHILE shouting "I'm different." I've always been diferent, and it has been VERY little fun...

I believe most young people are confusing as they themselves are confused over their own identities; they are not yet sure of who they are or what they want from life and therefore choose odd methods of self-definition in a desperate attempt to form a sense of identity. This period of development is particularly difficult for social outcasts, without a social network (a “pack”, if you like) to provide support; this is made evident by their behaviour, which can be erratic and contradictory.

Remember that they are probably going through personal hell themselves, and try to tolerate it. It's kinder to be sympathetic.

I've probably missed the point of your post but I was attracted to this sentence and was overcome by the desire to expound.

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2008, 2:18 am

russian wrote:
Young aspies kids confuse me by their desire to be 'just like everyone else' WHILE shouting "I'm different." I've always been diferent, and it has been VERY little fun...

It makes more since if you think of it this way. They're not always screaming "I'm different" because they like being different. Some of us hate being different, they're screaming it out as a complaint rather than just trying to be different. They want to be the same but they can't so they yell out "I'm different" in frustration if that makes sense.

I think I can see part of where you're coming from. I also was for various reasons unable to have access to the internet until I went to college. On the internet I discovered that you haven't seen the true ugliness of human nature until you've read some of the s**t people write on the internet.

12 Feb 2008, 3:38 am

About the NT rant, lot of aspies are mistreated, we are misunderstood, they make false assumptions, they over estimate us or under estimate, treat us like bad guys, etc. but funny thing is, same thing happens in the aspie community too. They bully, put people down, flame, make false assumptions, etc. So it's all a big joke.

They all need to start realizing it's not an NT thing, it's human. Took me till this year to figure that out. It's not part of any condition.

Aspies are humans too, not creatures so they go through the same phases normal kids go through. They develop normally too except for in social skills and their emotions are below the age level but they still go through the teenage phase while being that age. That is all according to the DSM criteria but there have been people diagnosed as having AS and had a developmental delay but I don't think it matters what autism label they have as long as they are on the spectrum.

I tried to fit in too when I was little but I knew I was different but I was trying to become normal and not be different anymore. Maybe that's what those little aspies mean when they want to be like everyone else but they say they're different because they know they're different so they try to be like the other kids. They want to fit in. Even normal children can feel the same way.

Dunwich
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Feb 2008, 4:02 am

russian wrote:
-Young aspies kids confuse me by their desire to be 'just like everyone else' WHILE shouting "I'm different." I've always been diferent, and it has been VERY little fun...

Probably just a case of wanting to have their cake and eat it too: they want to be able to blend in and have the social skills of NTs, but are proud of who they are and would refuse to accept the shallowness of NT thinking along with the benefits. That's always how I've felt at least.

Hmmm...Now I'll try to offend everyone russian missed by introducing my new supervillian team, The Legion Of Hypocracy! Jewish Nazi, Black Klansman, Slutty-the-Nun, Scientific Creationist, and their leader the Agnostic Deity wage a never ending battle against honesty, character, idealism, and...

Wait, this is the In Depth Adult Discussion forum?

Oh.

Never mind...

and that is beautiful.

-TMBG

AndersTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2008, 9:22 am

russian wrote:
-I know this looks like a lot of rants, and as I can't flex my brain to emulate other's thought process I'm rather stuck with how to clarify the matter. But in a nutshell.

Don't worry about not understanding young people, we don't even understand ourselves! Simply because it doesn't only take intelligence to figure out who you are and who you wanna be. It takes experience, which we don't have a lot of yet.

Always delightful to read somebody ranting

abram
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Feb 2008, 4:06 pm

nothing is as common as the desire to be different, luv

MysteryFan3
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2008, 5:25 pm

True. Most people want to be unique or special, yet accepted as part of the group. I had a problem when I was young with trying on personalities that I thought would fit until I found one that I could live with.