Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Musicdragon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Mar 2008, 11:35 am

Doubtless, no one is refering to a movie about someone called "Flash"? The only movies I'm into are those on DVD (standard, not HD nor Blue). In fact, in my spare time, I watch DVDs in a catagorized fassion. It all started with two Saturday morning cartoons and a haircut appointment.

Once, there was that MASK cartoon on CBS at 9 AM, based upon the Jim Carrey movie and, on ABC at 9:30, Disney's MIGHTY DUCKS cartoon, inspired by the movie with Emilio Estevez.

I even found this VHS labeled "S-S-Somebody Stop Me" at Suncoast, with an episode about shadows and another involving the Mask himself becoming a puppet.

Anyway, one Saturday, I had a haircut appointment one Saturday and Mom and I had to be there a little after 9:30, after an episode of MIGHTY DUCKS was to be on TV.

Since we didn't have TiVO at the time, we just arranged the VCR to record the last couple of minutes of the "Mask" episode "Magic" and the whole MIGHTY DUCKS episode involving a Daddy-O creep.

Considering the fact that I own the official trademarked videocassette with MASK episodes and a tape with a recorded episode of MIGHTY DUCKS, I thought of watching those tapes in the broadcasting order at that time. Then resumed, but decided it didn't feel right and considered others after them; and LO! A pattern was born.

Later, in fact, I collected the two other MASK volumes, "Baby's Wild Ride" and "The Mask is Always Greener" and Disney's official videocassette MIGHTY DUCKS-THE FIRST FACE OFF.

On occasion, the pattern would include all 4 MASK volumes, MIGHTY DUCKS-THE FIRST FACE OFF, JURASSIC PARK, THE LOST WORLD: JURASSIC PARK, MEN IN BLACK and Disney's GEORGE OF THE JUNGLE.

At other times, it would include that classic volume of THE MASK, "The Mask is Alway's Greener on the Other Side" that MIGHTY DUCKS cassette, SPIDER-MAN (the "Hobgoblin" episode promoted by "Fox Kids Video"), and STAR WARS, episodes IV, V & VI (the special editions).

Then along came the DVDs! My first DVD collected was GHOSTBUSTERS.

Once, when I was still in Shrewsbury, New Jersey, this place called the Family Resource Association, arranged a program for us computer enthusiasts. We were encouraged to arrange a list of specific possessions. Just for the heck of it, I chose my DVD collection, which included six at the time (single-disc editions). Since then, I felt so satisfyed of such a total, I decided to make sure it stays even numbered, even with new additions. And LO, a habit was born!

All DVDs of something animated should be partnered with the live-action ones, while those "mixed", so to speak, are even numbered. Single ones packaged and sets of two are to be collected and watched that way.

Packages of three or more would be another matter. The HE-MAN DVDs (which I own) can be partnered with single discs of live-action programs, except the 3rd HE-MAN set which is partnered with FAERIE TALE THEATRE, another 6-disc set.

It's easy to say "I want this movie on DVD because I love it!" But I have more reasons to collect. In fact, GHOSTBUSTERS is a gold mine of extras.

The deleted scenes are brief playback, music videos are, and songs in the musical movies can be. As for pictures, I'd want those theatrical movies to be on DVD in letterboxed form. So, I hope Disney's GEORGE OF THE JUNGLE, ALL DOGS GO TO HEAVEN, THE LAND BEFORE TIME, ROCK-A-DOODLE and AN AMERICAN TAIL will soon be in widescreen formatted DVDs.

Furthermore, I appreciate the chapter index within each DVD (usually), until I learned to type the minutes/seconds of which part I'm in the mood for.

Alphabetizing is a big priority too. So, in the case of SOME sequels, it depends on the spelling of the title. In SUPERMAN's case, its sequels are okay to own because of 2, 3 and 4. Same with SPIDER-MAN. When it comes to THE MIGHTY DUCKS, its sequls, D2 and D3 are a no-no. I'd just want them bought in I-Tunes, like I bought the second PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN movie there as the first is the only PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN DVD I own.

As I said before, songs are a good reason to buy a DVD, because the holiday-related ones should, in my opinion, include songs that don't involve the specific time of year any movie takes place in. For instance, HOW THE GRINCH STOLE CHRISTMAS included the "Mister Grinch" song. That doesn't involve Christmas, just the lead character. It's perfect. So RUDOLPH, THE LITTLE DRUMMER BOY, HERE COMES PETER COTONTAIL and THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS each have songs that seem like general music. Though I arrange alternatives.

In my list of DVDs to watch in order, I, as explained before, arrange alternatives. On the one hand there's my laptop, through the program Intervideo WinDVD 8. On the other hand there's the TV set with the DVD/VCR combo connected. When it comes to my laptop, everything in my collection, with selected brief playback, would be fine. In the TV's case, some are fine except for the HE-MAN sets, THE LAST UNICORN, and the holiday- related ones.

The HE-MAN cartoon, somehow, is a pitch higher then it was before. So is THE LAST UNICORN. In my laptop's feature, Intervideo WinDVD 8, I'd just adjust the pitch in the "audio center" before playing the episodes, or the moral scenes. That's the brief playback for these DVDs; one moral scene in one episode from each disc.

However, through a TV's DVD player, there's that trivia displayed on the onscreen chapter index on disc 1 through 5, while I watch documentaries in the final disc of each set. Another alternative is THUNDERCATS from Netflix.

Speaking of Netflix, though I enjoy the songs I explained, my alternatives are Studio Ghibli movies also from Netflix. As for THE LAST UNICORN, it's the same when it comes to the pitch. It gets adjusted before I either watch the movie from beginning to end or the songs from it. In case of the TV, I just enjoy audio trivia of Peter S. Beagle. Another alternative is probably another anime on DVD.