Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MusicMaker1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Feb 2008, 3:29 pm

WE've often been concerned about how police treat those on the spectrum because of a lack of understanding.

Here's a video of cops laughing at and physically injuring a parapalegic man in a wheelchair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4vAFZ_NR1c

Scary how cruel some cops can be... they'd probably make fun of an autistic too...

Ive read that Some communities have been trying to educate cops about Asperger's, etc.. though

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2008, 3:51 pm

8O Bad cop!!

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2008, 4:05 pm

Although they can nasty [am used to know someone with schizophrenia and learning difficulties who had gone to spain to watch football with his dad,and he ended up being beaten and put in a cell when he hadn't done anything wrong],am have been dealt with by the police on various occasions,mainly for meltdowning or headbanging whilst out with family or staff,they have all offered to help without being asked and been very nice people.
Sisters' friend [who am also know] is in GMP police,and he always asks her how am doing and is the type of police would want to be out on the street when there's problems that others might not recognise.
And when am used to live in Stretford,when all the police horses were based there,the police often stopped to let am stroke their horses.

It is an area/country thing whether the police are understanding [not neccessarily trained] and good or not.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

13 Feb 2008, 4:15 pm

Why the hell did he dump him out of his wheel chair? Was it so he can search him? Why not do it while he was in his wheel chair?

psych
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2008, 4:33 pm

The most shocking examples i can think of atm is dragging a pregnant woman out of a broken caravan window, torturing someone who was on LSD - not just physically, but repeatedly threatening execution. There really are no depths they wont sink to - makes you wonder how bad the police in other countries can be.

Last edited by psych on 13 Feb 2008, 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MusicMaker1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Feb 2008, 4:33 pm

I'm thinking it was because they didn't believe that he was really crippled? He is paralyzed from the upper chest area down... Very insensitive sadistic cops... I realize that there are good cops too... but it seems lately that there are more and more videos of police brutality showing up on the news, etc.. I know that in my community the autistic society went out of their way to try and educate the police. So, hopefully the police will realize that the person on the autistic spectrum is not purposely trying to act up, etc.. but actually has a neurological difference. Hopefully that can avoid misunderstandings.. I have read where Aspies have been harassed by police before and it is probably because they just simply don't understand the Aspie perspective..

LVBen
Toucan
Toucan

13 Feb 2008, 4:35 pm

MusicMaker1 wrote:
WE've often been concerned about how police treat those on the spectrum because of a lack of understanding.

Here's a video of cops laughing at and physically injuring a parapalegic man in a wheelchair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4vAFZ_NR1c

Scary how cruel some cops can be... they'd probably make fun of an autistic too...

Ive read that Some communities have been trying to educate cops about Asperger's, etc.. though

He's not a parapalegic!

MusicMaker1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Feb 2008, 4:44 pm

I think parapalegic (sp?) means someone that has lost the use of at least 2 limbs-- is that not the right word to use? The guy explained later on an interview that he is paralyzed from the upper chest area downward... I think on the news they said "quadrapalegic".. but I think that means the person has lost the use of all 4 limbs?

Last edited by MusicMaker1 on 13 Feb 2008, 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LVBen
Toucan
Toucan

13 Feb 2008, 4:49 pm

MusicMaker1 wrote:
I think parapalegic (sp?) means someone that has lost the use of at least 2 limbs-- is that not the right word to use? The guy explained later on an interview that he is paralyzed from the upper chest area downward... I think on the news they said "quadrapalegic".. but I think that means the person has lost the use of all 4 limbs? Do you think that he's lying? Even so.... even if the cops thought the guy was lying, (and even if he really is lying) they still shouldn't dump him out of a wheelchair and laugh... Is there something I'm missing? is he moving in such a way that he isn't paralyzed? It just looks so cruel what they did to him...

Oh, you're right. I thought they meant the same thing. :oops:

Selo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Feb 2008, 5:37 pm

^ No, I actually don't think he's a paraplegic either. He moves his legs when he falls on the floor.

Remnant
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2008, 5:47 pm

LiendaBalla wrote:
8O Bad cop!!

NO DONUT!

Pithlet
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Feb 2008, 6:15 pm

Paraplegia means partial or complete loss of the use of both legs. Some paraplegics can even feel thier legs and move them to a certain degree depending on what kind of damage they have. That doesn't mean they are faking it or that they can walk if they want to.

I don't care if all the guy had was a sprained ankle. There is no excuse for a cop or anyone else to treat a compliant person that's at a physical disadvantage that way. I don't see him waving a weapon or trying to grab anyone. What excuse is there to dump him out of his chair (even if it wasn't a wheelchair)? There is none. And they laughed. That's just plain sick. That guy deserves compensation for that kind of treatment, and that deputy deserves to lose her job and be forced to do community service.

Denali
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Feb 2008, 6:33 pm

I saw that on the news this morning and it sickened me. I hope the deputy is fired over this, as well as the deputies who laughed about this. I also hope the man sues the police department, and wins. There's just no excuse to treat someone like this.

LVBen
Toucan
Toucan

13 Feb 2008, 7:14 pm

Selo wrote:
^ No, I actually don't think he's a paraplegic either. He moves his legs when he falls on the floor.

One of his legs does appear to bend backwards after he falls, but it is too hard to tell if that was momentum from the fall or not. When she dumps him over, you can see that he doesn't even bother trying to use his legs. He instantly puts his arms on the chair to hold himself up instead. That kind of instinctive reaction is very hard to fake.

Kalister1
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2008, 9:10 pm

My little brother is going to be a cop. Talk about wanting to get back at people. Like my political science professor said, only the kids who want to show they have power become police officers.

I've met one that I liked. I've met many that I didn't.

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2008, 9:53 pm

This cop is going to be canned. No way will this pass especially since it has gone up on You Tube. That guy has one hell of a lawsuit against the police department who did this.