13 Feb 2008, 4:59 pm

I liked the Angry NINTENDO nerd better

JimmyNeurtonRules
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2008, 5:07 pm

TheMidnightJudge wrote:
I liked the Angry NINTENDO nerd better

Did u know he had 2 change the name "Nintendo" to "Video Game" to prevent trademark issues

viska
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2008, 7:07 pm

Irate Gamer is such a ripoff.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2008, 4:43 am

Both are kinda crap compared to Zero Punctuation at http://www.escapistmagazine.com/article ... unctuation

Ouelis
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Feb 2008, 1:29 pm

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
Both are kinda crap compared to Zero Punctuation at http://www.escapistmagazine.com/article ... unctuation

Hear, HEAR. The don't even come close.

LonelyJar
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2014, 4:32 am

Some of the later videos from AVGN were pretty lackluster, but he's still leagues ahead of the Irate Gamer.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2014, 5:41 pm

I liked AVGN well enough for awhile, but.... ehhhhh.

He's way too much of a movie buff for my tastes. Too many of his videos were about games that were already super-obvious as to being bad, AKA any movie game. Which arent that interesting to me.... it's like, okay, the game is crap, but the whole "get angry about it" routine just doesnt work with those, because what the heck did anyone expect, buying a movie game even way back when? They're legendarily terrible! Videos where he was featuring something that wasnt A: based on a movie or B: based on some license (like TMNT or something) were so much more interesting, but few and far between. And of course the AVGN videos arent even his main thing, really.

Doesnt help that I hate pretty much all movies, period.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2014, 9:36 pm

I don't like either of them. :x

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2014, 3:33 am

I choose...

Classic Game Room!

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2014, 7:57 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
I choose...

Classic Game Room!

Hah, I guess that's not too big of a surprise coming from someone with a username like yours :p

That one is definitely my favorite as well. The guy is a freaking genius. And one of the few reviewers who honestly understands that fun and gameplay are the most important things. Also he's hilarious. Lord Karnage!! ! Or the occaisional videos where he reviews something very random, like a coffee mug. And I could swear there was one where he reviewed a banana or something like that... some sort of food.

Not to mention his enjoyment of retro games. It's hard to find people these days that appreciate those, be they reviewers or otherwise. I've got tons of the things myself... there's an ancient 7800 unit that has a permanent spot just to the left of the keyboard here... it gets used frequently, mostly for 2600 games (since the 7800 itself has such a small library), which are randomly scattered all over the desk here. And drawers full of the things for a variety of consoles. And friends that come over will look at it and wonder why I have such a thing.... the idea that I have it because I like/enjoy it seems to never quite get through to them.... they just dont understand it. Which is annoying, because NOBODY I know cares about those, so that's a part of my gaming interest I have to keep to myself.

But yeah, CGR, I catch his videos daily over at his main site. CGR Undertow as well. All very excellent.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2014, 1:39 pm

Misery wrote:
That one is definitely my favorite as well. The guy is a freaking genius. And one of the few reviewers who honestly understands that fun and gameplay are the most important things. Also he's hilarious. Lord Karnage!! ! Or the occaisional videos where he reviews something very random, like a coffee mug. And I could swear there was one where he reviewed a banana or something like that... some sort of food.

Yep. It's more fun to see a guy celebrating the best old games instead of a guy complaining about the worst old games.

Quote:
Not to mention his enjoyment of retro games. It's hard to find people these days that appreciate those, be they reviewers or otherwise. I've got tons of the things myself... there's an ancient 7800 unit that has a permanent spot just to the left of the keyboard here... it gets used frequently, mostly for 2600 games (since the 7800 itself has such a small library), which are randomly scattered all over the desk here. And drawers full of the things for a variety of consoles. And friends that come over will look at it and wonder why I have such a thing.... the idea that I have it because I like/enjoy it seems to never quite get through to them.... they just dont understand it. Which is annoying, because NOBODY I know cares about those, so that's a part of my gaming interest I have to keep to myself.

Yeah. Some of my friends get it, some of them don't. Some people question why I keep several CRTs around. They don't buy my explenation that they don't make them any more and 80s/90s games can't be played on a flat panel, that would be like eating cereal with water instead of milk. I've also had a lot of people questioning why there's a MAME cabinet next to the couch.

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2014, 11:40 pm

Have I stumbled back in time to 2006? I had no idea people still talked about the irate gamer. Now the AVGN on the other hand, has been a staple of my nightly Internet vid routine since '06. I don't think his stuff has been as great lately, but I attribute that largely to his focus on the AVGN Movie, and to a lesser extent, the birth of his daughter. I'm sure he'll return to form soon enough, once that movie is finally released. In the meantime, I don't mind James and Mike Mondays.