Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Sep 2007
Age: 41
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,671

15 Feb 2008, 6:18 pm

I find it scary that people always blame the media for violence, especially school shootings, without examining other causes. Before movies and video games, violent stories were passed along orally for generations. Most fairy tails had violent endings before they were "cleaned up" in order to fit with modern ideas about what's appropriate for children.

Why isn't anyone asking what makes these kids so angry and hopeless that they choose to kill? How are they treated at school? How are they treated by their families? What is the role of the community? What increases violence? What decreases violence?

Oh, but those are hard questions. It's so much easier to blame a single law or facet of popular culture. :?



scumsuckingdouchebag
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Nov 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 521

15 Feb 2008, 6:52 pm

One could rationally argue that the majority of people don't even understand what the principal of causality is, regardless of whether or not that argument is truly correct.

1st world cultures are seriously messed up. The U.S. thinks a 'zero tolerance policy' is going to protect against school shootings, when all it really does is force students to give up their constitutional rights. Someone who wishes to engage in a school shooting is not going to worry about the zero tolerance policy; for them the penalty for engaging in such a crime will be extraordinarily similar with such a policy versus without. I wish the mainstream media were sympathetic to your argument, EvilkimEvil.

Humans. You gotta' love 'em! :D

























































*note: that last line was sarcastic



oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jan 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,748

15 Feb 2008, 10:01 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:
oscuria wrote:
I'm not really moved by it. It has become the norm these days.

I find it laughable that people in America still claim a constitutional right to "bear arms". I want it to reach the Supreme Court and limited because a) It is not true and b) there are people in this country, and this world, that do not need to have weapons in their hands.


It IS true! Taken the way leftists decipher it makes NO sense!

You NEED guns to defend against them.

It is ALREADY illegal for felons to own guns, and for people in several states to own guns, but they STILL end up using guns to kill people.

Laws do NOT limit the ability of the guilty and reckless. They merely restrict or hinder the innocent.


The definition has changed. I highly doubt the framers of the Constitution intended everyone to have the right to own weapons, not with the cynicism they held against the common people. People are too ignorant to decide for themselves, let alone own a gun. Ofcourse, blame the ambiguity of the Constitution.

By the way, I am far from leftist. I just believe there needs to be great restrictions on the amount of guns floating around; and I don't believe your claim that laws hinder/restrict the innocent. That sounds more like libertarian jargon.



Mudboy wrote:
oscuria wrote:
I find it laughable that people in America still claim a constitutional right to "bear arms". I want it to reach the Supreme Court and limited because a) It is not true and b) there are people in this country, and this world, that do not need to have weapons in their hands.

You are scary to me. If I cant protect myself and my family, who will protect us?
The government and the police in most localities owe no legal duty to protect individuals from criminal attack. Researchers found that less than 5 percent of all calls dispatched to police are made quickly enough for officers to stop a crime or arrest a suspect. Police do very little to prevent violent crime. They investigate crime after the fact. It is wrong to disarm the victims while the criminals are armed.



Where did I claim that people should not own guns? I made my point that it should be limited. Hell, I'm getting my gun license this year.



herakh wrote:
oscuria wrote:
I'm not really moved by it. It has become the norm these days.

I find it laughable that people in America still claim a constitutional right to "bear arms". I want it to reach the Supreme Court and limited because a) It is not true and b) there are people in this country, and this world, that do not need to have weapons in their hands.


I think this is very very strong indication that more and more people have become more desensitized to violent content. There just too many violence these days (or at least more the ones that have been reported). Its almost to the point where we going to say "what else is new?"


No, it is a very strong indication that I'm not controlled by my emotions as much as people expect. I do feel something, but it is not enough to bother me.



Paladin_Cecil
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Feb 2008
Gender: Female
Posts: 629

15 Feb 2008, 10:39 pm

I don't care about what happens in the US, because I don't live there.



Mikomi
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Jan 2008
Age: 42
Gender: Female
Posts: 753
Location: On top of your TV, lookin' at you funny.

16 Feb 2008, 11:47 pm

Paladin_Cecil wrote:
I don't care about what happens in the US, because I don't live there.


How nice.


_________________
Curiosity is not a mental illness.
Homeschooling Aspie mom of 2 kiddos on the Spectrum.


Arbie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,381

17 Feb 2008, 12:27 am

I remember when the school shootings starting happening, Columbine happened the year I graduated from HS. I have a younger foster brother who is in HS. It strikes me how locked down his schools have been. For him it has always been that way, ID cards, police in school, locked classrooms. This is a small town compared to where I grew up, yet when I was in school in that much bigger city, we didn't have all of that. Anyone could walk in and out of class, and in and out of school property.

I am familiar with what many of those kids went through, I was the same generation of the first school shooters, I was picked on in school as bad as those kids were yet I never would have even considered doing what they did. And I grew up with guns in the house, was taught to handle and use them from a time when I was so small I had to sit in my dads lap while he shouldered the gun for me. I also took meds such as prozac and much more potent ones during some of the worst times in my school years. I remember thinking about the victims "They didn't have to kill them".

Then I look at these university murders, once again people of my generation, even more senseless than the others. The only thing that I fear is that I have become desensitized, and I wonder if there is a whole new generation of kids growing up desensitized to these things, and what that will mean to the long run. I also wonder what it will mean for a whole generation to grow up to be accustomed to being on lock down as the "norm".

But these things don't scare me, that is what scares me.



Paladin_Cecil
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Feb 2008
Gender: Female
Posts: 629

17 Feb 2008, 12:32 am

Mikomi wrote:
Paladin_Cecil wrote:
I don't care about what happens in the US, because I don't live there.


How nice.


Meh. At least we don't get crime here.



Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Mar 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,694
Location: Southeast U.S.A.

18 Feb 2008, 7:09 pm

Like others have said in this thread and I've said in past threads, your protection is up to YOU.
All the police are going to do for you, once they get there, is draw a chalkline around your dead body. Maybe the killer will be caught and maybe not. Either way your still GONE. :(

Laws pertaining to the control of firearms don't do a thing to protect anyone. I assure you that you can go to the city with the toughest gun controls and find any kind of firearm you want if you have money. There always has been and always will be a black market for things that are illegal but desireable. Money talks and BS walks in this case just as it does in others.

Gun free zones are nothing but potential and very attractive shooting galleries for those who want to inflict death and suffering on others.