Page 1 of 10 [ 147 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2008, 11:42 pm

I just don't know anything about it, and people here keep on saying it's so bad. Could you explain what it's about to me?

Paladin_Cecil
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2008, 11:43 pm

I don't know what it is either.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2008, 11:44 pm

They advocate a 'cure' for autism. Supporters say that would be good for autistic people and it would make people's lives easier and because we can't pick on the blacks we'll pick on autistics. Critics say it's a bigoted load of nonsense that would lead to the eradication of a way of thinking.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2008, 11:47 pm

Tequila wrote:
They advocate a 'cure' for autism. Supporters say that would be good for autistic people and it would make people's lives easier and because we can't pick on the blacks we'll pick on autistics. Critics say it's a bigoted load of nonsense that would lead to the eradication of a way of thinking.

Bleh, another cure site :( It's insulting that I need to be cured from who I am :(

Paladin_Cecil
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2008, 11:49 pm

Someone once showed me a religous group on Yahoo! who want to cure Autism. He flamed them good.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2008, 11:55 pm

Paladin_Cecil wrote:
Someone once showed me a religous group on Yahoo! who want to cure Autism. He flamed them good.

The person who showed you the group?
I just don't think we need to be cured. People who are gay are different, but they're not curable in my opinion (Don't flame me, it's my opinion)

Paladin_Cecil
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2008, 11:56 pm

We don't need to be cured, that's the thing!

I like being weird.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 12:11 am

I don't believe in a cure.

Cheerlessleader
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 12:30 am

They spend millions a year on research for a "cure" (how exactly do we cure a certain way your brain has developed anyway?) along with things like private jets and catering, yet they never spend a cent on resources that could make life easier for autistic people.

PinkieOfDoom
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Feb 2008, 12:55 am

I actually make fun of Autism Speaks. I made up a facebook group called "AutismSpeaks... to no one because it has autism and is socially awkward..." Note: I wasn't making fun of autism, just the organization title I suppose. I did catch crap for it though, so I was just being ironic.

Capriccio
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Feb 2008, 1:00 am

Truthfully, I wouldn't mind a cure. Yeah AS produces a way of thinking, but sometimes I feel very out-of-sync with everyone else. Sometimes when it comes to feeling feelings, I either can't, or have a very hard time. When I should be happy, I'm the least enthusiastic person in the room. I notice when I feel sad, but feel a bit colder to others at times. I mean yes, the introvertive aspect and particular wiring make it a breeze to get through college and work with data, but when I want to interact with people, I really wish I had that NT instinct. They know how to dress with style, know what jokes to tell and what not to, how to carry out this bit of rocket science I call small talk, and just plain connect with no effort at all. I have a much harder time with that.

koolguy18
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Feb 2008, 1:19 am

Capriccio wrote:
Truthfully, I wouldn't mind a cure. Yeah AS produces a way of thinking, but sometimes I feel very out-of-sync with everyone else. Sometimes when it comes to feeling feelings, I either can't, or have a very hard time. When I should be happy, I'm the least enthusiastic person in the room. I notice when I feel sad, but feel a bit colder to others at times. I mean yes, the introvertive aspect and particular wiring make it a breeze to get through college and work with data, but when I want to interact with people, I really wish I had that NT instinct. They know how to dress with style, know what jokes to tell and what not to, how to carry out this bit of rocket science I call small talk, and just plain connect with no effort at all. I have a much harder time with that.

i no what u mean. I feel that if childern in the future could be prevented from getting autism, that they could be spared the hardship that must of on her have experienced in various degrees sociallyand in other faucets of our lives. What the problem is is when parents that have autistic childern are taught to fear that their childern are "different", and will stand out. Of course no one should suffer, but teaching those childern to live with and accept their autism, as well as the parents, is more important than searching for a cure that may or may not exist. Autism is a part of the being of everyone with it, and their mental makeup is entiwned with it in different degrees, depending on the person. To cure me, you would take away what makes me me, so a cure for those affected probably isnt possible.

As for Autismspeaks, screw them!

ghostgurl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 1:31 am

If people want a cure, then they can have one if they want. However, I'm totally against the idea of having pre-natal tests for autism. Mothers aborting fetuses when they find out their child has autism disturbs me. How are we ever to take over the world if that happens?

Paladin_Cecil
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 1:46 am

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 1:51 am

now ashleigh.. THAT is one AWESOME original signature. Should be your avatar too :)

Original stuff so much better :)

Paladin_Cecil
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 1:53 am

Dantac wrote:
now ashleigh.. THAT is one AWESOME original signature. Should be your avatar too :)

Original stuff so much better :)

Black Mage doesn't like Autism Speaks. :twisted: