Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 5:34 pm

If you want respect, go get it.

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 6:57 pm

It's like whining : " Oh I want to be taller"

IQ is primary genetic-based and can be affected by other factors ....like height. You can't change your genes ....yet.

I read somewhere ages ago about an experiment where some scientists succeeded to make mice smarter ...so nothing is impossible.

chocolate_kitties
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Feb 2008, 5:30 am

IQ is only a number. Sure, it's nice to have a very high IQ but it won't make people respect you. It won't find you a job or friends. Besides, EQ is more useful in life than IQ.

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2008, 5:41 am

In the near future, gene therapy or pharmaceuticals may make it possible for one to artificially increase his IQ.

Currently you can increase your memory, focus, and concentration by using pharmaceuticals for treating ADD and depression. This may not translate into higher IQ, but it would give you an edge. But you would also incur the side effects of each pharmaceutical.

I have a high IQ (but not as high as some!), and I must say that it is pretty fun to finish first and make good grades. But beyond the ego boost that comes from that, does it make my life complete? No. I am now taking an anti-anxiety drug. And I can't think away my anxiety--it only increases it more! If anything, being aware of more (a sign of giftedness) increases my anxiety. Also, is having an IQ as high as mine making me any extra money? No.

And check out this guy's website:

http://www.iq89.com/eng/index.html

He tried out for MENSA and FAILED the IQ test because his score was only 89. But, he is also an accomplished chemical engineer. Maybe high IQ helps, but it isn't necessary if you want to do complicated things.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2008, 6:26 am

Having a really, really stupidly high IQ does closer to naught for someone with autism compared to having the great idea of watching light bend around an eclipse. Wait, no, it gives someone the "HFA"/Asperger's label.

An IQ of 160, unable to work, unable to attend classes, unable to talk to people I don't know; yeah, they're all lining up to give Daniel the praise he so rightfully deserves for he can put square blocks in square holes, and the uncanny ability to tell if a shoe is to foot as a bullet is to head.

Still an "objective" "loser" over here.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2008, 6:45 am

Icheb wrote:
people don't venerate intelligent individuals, they are suspicious of them. If you want to be accepted warts and all, become a rock star - the more atrociously you behave, the cooler you will be considered.

True.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

cataspie
Toucan
Toucan

17 Feb 2008, 8:13 am

Mw99 wrote:
I want to have a very high IQ. An IQ that will rank my intelligence higher that of at least 99.999% of the population. I want to be at least one in one hundred thousand. With such a high intelligence, people will clench their teeth and put their heads down in a sign of humility instead of laughing at my eccentricities. Such a high intelligence would be my license to be myself.

I have thought that but in the context of being a great artist.
I hate being laughed at :evil:

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2008, 8:18 am

chocolate_kitties wrote:
IQ is only a number. Sure, it's nice to have a very high IQ but it won't make people respect you. It won't find you a job or friends. Besides, EQ is more useful in life than IQ.

Not true , a very high IQ will allow you to be brave in life ...ie.brave scientist , brave writer .....

IQ is essential.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2008, 10:54 am

IQ alone won't do that. Mine used to test really high when I was little (it never has since then), and while some of my difficulties got explained away in terms of it, all that resulted in was pressure to perform at a level I was ultimately incapable of sustaining. It certainly didn't make my life easier. I even still felt like I was stupid, because despite testing high (which I wasn't even told I'd done), I understood far less of most everyday things than people who had average or even below-average IQs around me. (For instance, when I was tested as a supposed "genius", I did not know the meaning of the word "test" or a number of other everyday words.) I never fit in with other kids labeled gifted either, if anything they behaved worse to me than regular kids because they used more elaborate means of bullying.

The only upside I can give is that it postponed my being defined as a writeoff until I was old enough that I'd already been treated like a person (the way everyone should regardless of IQ) in some regards at least for a long time. Which meant that instead of having a lifetime of not being considered a person, I lost the trait of being considered a person, which meant that I was able to perceive the difference. The downside is that every time I screwed up at something, it was thought to be either deliberate, the result of carelessness, or a sign that I needed more and more advanced work. Even if I was already working harder than the other kids for less result. And that wasn't fair to either me or the other kids.

Mw99
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2008, 4:34 pm

ebec11 wrote:
If they're going to pick on me, might as well because I'm smart.

I think the same way. If my destiny is to be a loser, at least I want to be a loser with a high IQ. Just think of the ego boost.

fallensamurai
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Feb 2008, 4:16 pm

Being a genius won't make people respect you. I am a genius according to my IQ scores, but most people don't know it. I could go around telling people that I have a genius level IQ but they'd think I was a conceited jerk. Intelligence is not the sole factor in earning people's respect.

Bluesummers
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2008, 4:20 pm

Quote:
I want to have a very high IQ.

No, you don't. Ignorance is bliss.

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2008, 5:42 pm

Like I get a choice about being smart. I am a "know it all jerk whose head is full of useless garbage". Years ago, I thought about causing myself brain damage because of the unhappiness being smart causes. I could not do it because I am even more afraid life might be worse that way.

Sora and Danielismyname make very good points. It is no fun. I feel naive and unable to learn from my mistakes. I will never have common sense. I have been taken advantage of so many times that I can't remember. Looking back at people I thought were my friends, and at my very few lovers, I can see I had all the friends money could buy. When the money ran low, my "friends" disappeared. The same can be said when I got depressed. I want a real friend, to keep me from doing stupid things, and not take me to the cleaners once I trust them.

I fake being dumb a lot of the time to keep from being ostracized. I rarely give answers in class, or opinions to people. I cheat to lose when playing playing games like chess, backgammon, go, and even billiards. If I don't, people wont play with me. Getting caught cheating to lose is worse than cheating to win, because it adds insult to injury. Getting work is difficult because I have act like I am smart enough to get the job, but not smart enough or motivated enough to want my boss's job.

Be happy with what you have.

kiwi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Feb 2008, 5:49 pm

I am a genius

Bye...

Bluesummers
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2008, 6:12 pm

Anyone else watch the episode of the Simpsons where homer finally removes the crayon from his brain and finds out he's a genius? :lol:

I also really like Lisa's graph on the correlation between the increase in intelligence, and the decrease of happiness.

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2008, 6:16 pm

I think what you really want is to be recognised as the genius you are :wink: