No, you don't. Ignorance is bliss.

You beat me to saying it.

Good fortune,

- Icarus wishes he saw less...

Obres
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2008, 6:30 pm

I'd rather have a super-high IQ and be blissfully ignorant.

hadapurpura
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2008, 11:38 pm

1. Having a high IQ doesn't help one being cool, or accepted, or anything like that. In fact, the thing that has helped me have at least, aquaitances or not being more of an outcast than I already am, is the fact that I dumb down (which can be good, it's good to enjoy the simplicity of life) and don't take myself too seriously (snobs are annoying).

2. Having a high IQ equals being gifted, but having a high IQ DOESN'T EQUAL being a genius. Giftedness is about how high is your IQ or what abilities do you have, genius is about creativity and using your abilities and IQ to create something new, or to change and improve something, to develop all your potential.

Example A: The woman with the highest IQ (like 280 or something) on earth, works for a magazine answering questions. it's a great job, but she doesn't need to develop her full potential for that, and she's not creating anything new or using her IQ to transform anything - so, not a genius.

Example B: There's an independent film feat. an actor who has Down's syndrome and did an excellent job, building a great portrayal of his character. He probably doesn't have a high IQ, but he has acting skills and puts them to good use, developing his full potential and creating something (an acting interpretation) - in some way, one could say he's a genius.

There are geniuses and non-geniuses of all kinds of IQs, of course the most famous and respected ones are the ones who are both gifted and geniuses (like Albert Einstein, for example), but even being that way, it doesn't guarantee being cool or not having people laugh around you, or having friends at all.

I like being gifted, but it doesn't solve problems at all.

Likho
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Feb 2008, 5:34 am

I want to be a genius like L in death note. *__*

...eru...eru...eru...eru...eru...eru...eru...eru...

i don't want to have high iq though. i just want extremely good reasoning. *_*

i can't see the point of having high iq only. i think it doesnt even reflect intelligence actually...

btw. my iq changes A LOT depeding on my mood and diet at the time. sometimes im dumb, sometimes im genius, yay...

shopaholic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2008, 9:58 am

I AM a genius (if you accept the IQ definition) but it has never got me anywhere.

Frankly, it's overrrated!

Icarus_Falling
everyman antihero
everyman antihero

20 Feb 2008, 11:48 pm

Would you rather be a painter, or Einstein?

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=d-EgbhdcSKc[/youtube]Good fortune,

- Icarus has genius feelings...

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2008, 11:52 pm

Icarus_Falling wrote:
Would you rather be a painter, or Einstein?

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=d-EgbhdcSKc[/youtube]Good fortune,

- Icarus has genius feelings...

I paint in PhotoShop, and have been called Einstein at work (but it wasn't meant in an especially good way, rather to point out how I don't fit in with the corporate culture).

So the answer is "Yes." :)

P.S. Cool YouTube video, btw.

"It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine." -- REM

yesplease
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 12:02 am

Mw99 wrote:
Such a high intelligence would be my license to be myself.
Only you give license to be yourself...

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

21 Feb 2008, 1:07 am

no not really. i like my iq :)

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 10:36 am

As a person my intellectual skills may be highers in some regards and lower in other though, dealing with various abilities and limitations I've found to be more pertinent than wanting or desiring to be labeled a genius.. Yes, I'd like to function more intellectually but, Honestly I'm contented with being who I am as simple as that...

ProfessorX

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 1:04 pm

All I have to say is Hell Yeah I Wanna be Geni, I just don't wanna deal with the complicated crap. Too much sensory overload. :study:

Last edited by MissConstrue on 21 Feb 2008, 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ButchCoolidge
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Feb 2008, 1:59 pm

I have a high IQ... at least 150... I suppose I'm happy to have it, but I don't know if it's any more of a blessing than it is a curse. I always have to translate everything down, find it hard to relate to people of "normal" intelligence, and my mind is always on super overdrive... But, I am going to make the most of it and use my talents for the good of humanity. Really, that's what life is all about, no matter what your IQ is.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 10:35 pm

I'd trade 10 IQ points for 10 Emotional Quotient points. Understanding people better would pay off more than being the egghead...;)

Bluesummers
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 10:40 pm

pakled wrote:
I'd trade 10 IQ points for 10 Emotional Quotient points. Understanding people better would pay off more than being the egghead...;)

If only it worked that way. Unfortunately, once you know, you can never go back :(

Icarus_Falling
everyman antihero
everyman antihero

21 Feb 2008, 11:48 pm

the_phoenix wrote:
So the answer is "Yes." :)

I appreciate the genius in your answer, painter Einstien.

the_phoenix wrote:
I paint in PhotoShop, and have been called Einstein at work (but it wasn't meant in an especially good way, rather to point out how I don't fit in with the corporate culture).

In my experience, corporate culture is an excellent means of stifling genius. But it sounds like you resist to persist; may your resistance not be futile.

Good fortune,

- Icarus is a van Gogh physicist...